NYCB Swan Lake (Winter Season)(Was "sterling hyltin in Swan Lake")

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,132 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:13 AM

Yes, Twitter counts, as do Facebook "like" pages. (Personal Facebook pages do not.)

When posting info, please remember to note the source.

#17 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

Now that the Winter Season is over, NYCB updated the photos on its home page to highlight things that are coming up in the Spring. There is a rehearsal photo for The Seven Deadly Sins (SDS) that features Wendy Whelan surrounded by several crouching men. I really liked Lynn Taylor Corbett's Chiascoro. I have high hopes for SDS.

#18 erpollock

erpollock

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

Finlay is certainly a future candidate for Apollo and many other major roles. He may even be learning the role as an understudy now. However, he is too young and not ready for a major role of that stature at this juncture.

Agreed. But he is all potential.

#19 erpollock

erpollock

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

I saw Bouder/Veyette and Hylton/Fairchild in Swan Lake in the past week. Bouder can do anything technically, but she is still callow as a girl, and I don't mean that at all maliciously. I mean she did not convey the pathos of the role, she seemed a young girl who has never known true heartbreak. Veyette, while certainly an authoritative dancer, also did not convey the emotional depth I was seeking. I found it in the performances of Hylton/Fairchild. Sterling Hylton, though so young, had the pathetic quality that permeates Swan Lake, she suffers like a Russian, yet is always natural, never cloying as they can sometimes be. Fairchild truly has the emotional range for the Prince. He is left bereft at the end, and it is a still, but deep moment. The entire fairwell of Odette and the Prince is beautifully, poignantly rendered. They are the couple to watch. Such a difference in performances between the technically thrilling Ashley Bouder/Andrew Veyette and the expressively mature Hylton/Fairchild.

Which brings me to what Ashley Bouder does so well. She is charming, adorable in Fall of the Four Seasons on Sunday, and a week ago she sparkled in the finale of Stars & Stripes. That is what she is perfect for at this stage in her career, being a gorgeous, cheerful soubrette. Until she knows heartbreak, I don't see how she can fully know Odette.

#20 balanchinette

balanchinette

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

erpollock, I have to disagree about Ashley being only a soubrette. I found her Odette wonderful, and the farewell at the end was especially poignant. If you've ever seen Ashley do Emeralds, there's nothing soubrette-ish about that, she's wonderful at adagio b/c she can dance with such amplitude and abandon. In fact, I wish NYCB would allow her to do more of that kind of repertory. I would hate it if all she danced were soubrette roles. On a side note, although I don't know why reviews of non-swan lake perfs have popped up on this thread, I would like to say that Ashley's Square Dance has to be seen to be believed, it was out of this world amazing and gorgeous! Can she please do the main Barocco role next, pretty please?? :)

#21 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

I saw Bouder/Veyette and Hylton/Fairchild in Swan Lake in the past week. Bouder ... did not convey the pathos of the role...

I found that to be the case as well. Bouder is a marvel in many roles, but she needs some coaching as Odette. One example of failing to convey pathos occurred in the final act. There is a quiet moment when Odette sinks to the floor and then lowers her arm to the ground. Most ballerinas slowly lower the arm. Bouder decided to slam her hand on the stage floor so that it made a sound when her hand hit the stage floor. She may have been trying to convey Odette's frustration, but for me it robbed the scene of grandeur and pathos. It made Odette seem like a frustrated child.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):