#16 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

:beg: :yahoo:

Hoping that if this comes through, we get at least two weeks and at least one mixed bill.

#17 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

But back to the Kennedy Center situation. Perhaps a new contract would cover a term of biennial visits. I think that would allow regular DC seasons but also open up a week on alternate years for other companies, foreign and domestic, that visit the area less frequently. I like the idea of greater variety.

#18 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

The Kennedy Center's season is being announced right now by Michael Kaiser. Mariinsky coming back with the previously-toured Fokine Triple Bill (Chopiniana, Firebird, Scheherazade...snooze....) and Bolshoi in Coppelia, a gorgeous production with 'deluxe' sets & costumes.

#19 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

The Kennedy Center's season is being announced right now by Michael Kaiser. Mariinsky coming back with the previously-toured Fokine Triple Bill (Chopiniana, Firebird, Scheherazade...snooze....) and Bolshoi in Coppelia, a gorgeous production with 'deluxe' sets & costumes.

Fokine Triple Bill....Snooze :lol:

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

Yup, this is almost the worst-possible selection. They aren't even giving us the recent Carnaval reconstruction in place of the 'usual three' Fokines!

The '10 year commitment' began in grand style 9 years ago with the Sleeping Beauty-1890 reconstruction and ends in a whimper. No Raymonda? No Flora's Awakening? No Carnaval? No Ondine? No Shurale or Spartacus? No Balanchine Mixed Bill with recent revivals of Scotch Symphony, T&V, Ballet Imperial, etc? No Anna Karenina or Little Humpbacked Horse? (Thank goodness, the latter two are showing in New York this summer.)

As I said on another thread - A chance to $ave after summer 2011 splurges in NY and London, not to mention the just-finished grand works performed in Canada without cuts (Bayadere and Swan Lake). The 1994 Diaghilev Triple Bill? They have to be kidding.

p.s. - Off Topic but, again, under the KennCen umbrella: And all they could muster-up for a return of the POB after so many years is Giselle...a 2-act work that is performed at the KennCen every year by someone (SanFcoBallet last season, Mariinsky recently)? Hopefully the POB will be in other US cities in summer 2012, with other ballets, including (I hope) Sleeping Beauty or Raymonda.

I'll just keep reminding myself "Bolshoi Coppelia - Bolshoi Coppelia - Bolshoi Coppelia."

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

RG posted the official Press Release of the upcoming KennCen season on another thread. The little write-up on the Mariinsky reminds us that this will be the "10th year of the 10-year partnership." In other words, I believe that this is "it" for the partnership. Hopefully DC won't have to wait 23 years, like Toronto, for the company's return. It would have been great to have had a grand classical Petipa-era ballet to "close with a golden clasp" as we say in Spanish ("cerrar con broche de oro"). Oh well...that's it and that's done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):