This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Something's Missing

I was looking at the page on the NYCB website that says "Repertory at a Glance - 2010-2011." It has ballets that will be performed during this year's repertory, with dates, but also ballets that are NOT part of the 2010-2011 season.

But it does NOT have "Symphony in C." The ballet has not been performed by NYCB for quite a while (can't be exact). I was thinking that it would be perfect (though a contrast) for the May "Balanchine Black and White" week plus. After all, the NYCB version IS black and white.

Does anyone have any ideas or (better) information? It's one of those ballets that every once in a while I have a palpable craving for. And it's very difficult when that craving goes unfulfilled.

I tried searching the NYTimes site to see when it had last been reviewed in New York. Does May 2008 sound right to the New Yorkers who get to attend all the time?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/02/arts/dance/02nycb.html?scp=10&sq=%22symphony+in+c%22+ballet&st=nyt

After a three-year hiatus, this sounds like something they should bring back next year.

This ballet is in the rep of quite a few other companies -- Royal Danish, Royal, Miami, San Francisco, Pacific Northwest, Canada, etc.

"Symphony in C" is being done this week in San Francisco. The general accents are not as sharp or witty as City Ballet's - but there was a last minute substitution of Vanessa Zahorian and Vito Mazzeo (his gracefullness is reminiscent of Conrad Ludlow's) in the second movement on Saturday night that was quite breathtaking. Parts that are sometimes blurred or left out were in place - including the wonderful little skip-steps at the turn arounds at the end of the long lifts/runs across stage.

I tried searching the NYTimes site to see when it had last been reviewed in New York. Does May 2008 sound right to the New Yorkers who get to attend all the time?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/02/arts/dance/02nycb.html?scp=10&sq=%22symphony+in+c%22+ballet&st=nyt

After a three-year hiatus, this sounds like something they should bring back next year.

Yes, 2008 does sound right. Oddly enough I too was recently thinking I had not seen this ballet in some time.