This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT at the Met 2011

It seems like they are using Simkin a lot in principal roles. How about pairing him with Lane!

I'd like to see more Simkin & Lane too. I think they'd do a charming Coppelia

I'm a little disappointed that I won't be seeing Steifel with Cojocaru in Giselle. Halberg seems a bit tall for her and he's not my favorite, but I'm still looking forward to seeing Cojocaru as well as Muphy who will be doing Myrta (if all goes according to plan!)

There are TONS of changes/additions on the updated ABT online calendar.

Stearns replaces Stiefel in Don Q. w. Murphy on May 21 evening

Hallberg replaces Steifel in Giselle w. Cojocaru on May 28

Abrera is Myrta at the June 1 Giselle Matinee; Messmer is Myrta for the June 1 evening Giselle (replacing Abrera)

Part replaces Messmer on June 2 as Myrta

Simkin replaces Stiefel as Osipova's partner in Coppelia.

Jared Mathews replaces Simkin in the June 18 matinee of Coppelia

Gomes replaces Stiefel in Swan Lke on June 29 and in Sleeping Beauty on July 9 Matinee

Hee Seo is out of Bright Stream, replaced by Isabella Boylston. Simkin will perform in four of the eight performances of Bright Stream. (He has been added to the June 10 and June 15 matinee.)

Opening night program info is up.

It seems like they are using Simkin a lot in principal roles. How about pairing him with Lane!

With the daparture of JM Carreno, possible departure of E Stiefel and few appearances of Angel C. and Maxim B, the male principal roster will be depleted. With the probable promotion of D Simkin to principal dancer and A Hammoudi to soloist, are there any other possibilities? Or will Kevin M. be importing from abroad ? :unsure:

I'd like to see more Simkin & Lane too. I think they'd do a charming Coppelia

I'm a little disappointed that I won't be seeing Steifel with Cojocaru in Giselle. Halberg seems a bit tall for her and he's not my favorite, but I'm still looking forward to seeing Cojocaru as well as Muphy who will be doing Myrta (if all goes according to plan!)

I can't imagine anything but adoration for Hallberg. I am always thrilled to see him dance. angelica

I'm also very excited to see the stellar Stella Abrera dancing Myrta on June 1st. I saw her a few years ago as the Lilac Fairy and immediately bought a pair of her autographed pointe shoes, saying to my husband that she's going to be a Principal next year. Sure enough, still a soloist, she was given the title role of Giselle to dance in a Wednesday matinee (like Seo this year), but alas, she was injured, and sidelined for a long time. I'm so glad she's back in a major role. Maybe next year will see her debut as Giselle. angelica

With the daparture of JM Carreno, possible departure of E Stiefel and few appearances of Angel C. and Maxim B, the male principal roster will be depleted. With the probable promotion of D Simkin to principal dancer and A Hammoudi to soloist, are there any other possibilities? Or will Kevin M. be importing from abroad ? :unsure:

Carreño, Stiefel, Corella and Beloserkovsky were all imported.

I can't imagine anything but adoration for Hallberg. I am always thrilled to see him dance. angelica

I know a lot of people would agree with you Angelica. I haven't seen Hallberg very often, and so maybe I haven't seen him in the right roles. My most distinct memory of him is in Ballo Del La Regina, in which I thought he looked uncomfortable and half a beat late at all times. That left me with the rather uncomfortable, and hopefully untrue, idea that people are so taken with is good looks, amazing feet, body and line that every flaw is overlooked or even not noticed. As I said I haven't see that much of him so I hope I become a fan.

On another note - I am sorry Ethan Stiefel is out, and odds are that I won't see him perform again. He goes on my list of exceptionally honest male dancers, along with Fernando Bujones and Damien Woetzel.

Can't wait for the season to begin, and to share experiences with you all.

Simkins should not be made principal at this time. Ballet is more about jumping and pyrotechnics. It's about refinement and partnering as well, among other things. Not that Simkins couldn't later be a principal, but in my mind no time soon.

Also, Simkins' height and build make it difficult for him to pair with any principal ballerina except X Reyes. How is that helping the situation with the insufficient number of male principals to pair the principal ballerinas, particularly when Cornejo is already available to pair Reyes?

Additional casting has been added for the rep nights of ABT Met season

http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=5/1/2011

Looks like Reyes and Lane are alternating the female lead in Shadowplay.

Lots of interesting casting in the New Wheeldon piece.

The only one with no casting posted is the new Ratmansky. Not a lot of people left when you look at the casts the other ballets, particularly on the men's side.

Official announcement:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR FIRST TWO WEEKS OF

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2011 SPRING SEASON

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Guest Artist Polina Semionova to Make ABT Debut

in Don Quixote, Saturday, May 21, at 2:00 P.M.

World Premieres by Alexei Ratmansky and Christopher Wheeldon,

U.S. Premiere of Benjamin Millepied’s Troika

and Revival Premiere of Antony Tudor’s Shadowplay

Scheduled for Tuesday, May 24, at 7:30 P.M.

Casting for the first two weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2011 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The season will begin on Monday, May 16 at 6:30 P.M. with the Company’s Opening Night Gala. The evening will be highlighted by a tribute to Jose Manuel Carreño, in honor of his farewell season with the Company. Carreño will be joined onstage by ABT Principal Dancers Paloma Herrera and Xiomara Reyes, San Francisco Ballet’s Lorena Feijoo, Joan Boada and Taras Domitro and Boston Ballet’s Lorna Feijoo and Nelson Madrigal in the ABT Premiere of Jorge Garcia’s Majisimo. The Gala performance will also feature pas de deux from Swan Lake, performed by Paloma Herrera and Alexandre Hammoudi (Act II) and Michele Wiles and Cory Stearns (Act III); Manon, with Diana Vishneva and Marcelo Gomes; The Sleeping Beauty, with Alina Cojocaru and Herman Cornejo; Lady of the Camellias, with Julie Kent and Cory Stearns; and Alexei Ratmansky’s The Nutcracker, danced by Veronika Part and Marcelo Gomes. The performance will also include Gillian Murphy and David Hallberg in Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, Irina Dvorovenko and Maxim Beloserkovsky in Jessica Lang’s Splendid Isolation III and excerpts from The Bright Stream. Students of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre will perform Jerusalem Divertissement, choreographed by Raymond Lukens and set to music by Giuseppe Verdi. American Ballet Theatre’s Spring Gala is sponsored by Graff.

The first of eight performances of Don Quixote will take place on Tuesday, May 17, with Paloma Herrera and Jose Manuel Carreño in the leading roles. Yuriko Kajiya and Daniil Simkin will debut in the leading roles at the matinee on Wednesday, May 18. Guest Artist Alina Cojocaru will dance the role of Kitri for the first time with the Company on Friday, May 20, opposite Jose Manuel Carreño as Basilio. Guest Artist Polina Semionova will make her debut with ABT, leading the matinee performance on Saturday, May 21, opposite David Hallberg. Set to music by Ludwig Minkus, Don Quixote is staged by Kevin McKenzie and Susan Jones, after choreography by Marius Petipa and Alexander Gorsky. This production was generously supported through an endowed gift from Anka K. Palitz, in memory of Clarence Y. Palitz, Jr.

Four performances of the Classic to Premieres Repertory will take place beginning Tuesday, May 24, featuring World Premieres by Alexei Ratmansky and Christopher Wheeldon. The new Ratmansky work is set to Igor Stravinsky’s Dumbarton Oaks and features costumes by Richard Hudson and lighting by Brad Fields. The World Premiere of the Wheeldon ballet, set to Benjamin Britten’s Diversions on a Theme, with costumes by Bob Crowley and lighting by Brad Fields, will be led by Maria Riccetto, Sascha Radetsky, Isabella Boylston, Marcelo Gomes, Gillian Murphy, David Hallberg, Simone Messmer and Alexandre Hammoudi. Sarah Lane, Jared Matthews, Hee Seo, Cory Stearns, Stella Abrera, Eric Tamm, Christine Shevchenko and Blaine Hoven will lead the ballet for the first time at the matinee on Wednesday, May 25. The works by Alexei Ratmansky and Christopher Wheeldon are generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. Costumes for Alexei Ratmansky’s ballet are generously supported through a gift from Charlotte and MacDonald Mathey. Christopher Wheeldon’s ballet is made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a State Agency.

The Classic to Premieres Repertory will also be highlighted by the United States Premiere of Benjamin Millepied’s Troika. Daniil Simkin, Sascha Radetsky and Alexandre Hammoudi will perform Troika on Tuesday, May 24, and Jared Matthews, Blaine Hoven and Thomas Forster will make their New York debuts in these roles at the matinee on Wednesday, May 25. Set to excerpts from Johann Sebastian Bach’s Solo Cello Suites, Troika features costumes by Paul Cox and lighting by Brad Fields. Troika was given its World Premiere by ABT on March 29, 2011, in Moscow, Russia. Troika is generously supported through an

endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. Additional funding has been provided by Michele and Steven Pesner.

The Revival Premiere of Antony Tudor’s Shadowplay will take place on Tuesday,

May 24, led by Herman Cornejo, Xiomara Reyes and Cory Stearns as The Boy With Matted Hair, Celestial and Terrestrial, respectively. Daniil Simkin, Sarah Lane and Roddy Doble will debut in the roles at the matinee on Wednesday, May 25. Created by Tudor for The Royal Ballet in 1967, Shadowplay is based on a theme from Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book and set to music by Charles Koechlin, with scenery and costumes by Michael Annals and lighting by Nananne Porcher. Shadowplay was last performed by the ABT in 1979. Shadowplay is generously supported by a gift from Nancy Zeckendorf.

The season’s first performance of Giselle will take place on Friday, May 27, with Diana Vishneva, Marcelo Gomes and Veronika Part in the leading roles. Alina Cojocaru will dance the title role for the first time with ABT on Saturday evening, May 28, opposite David Hallberg as Albrecht. Set to music by Adolphe Adam and orchestrated by John Lanchbery, Giselle was staged by Kevin McKenzie with choreography after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa. The two-act ballet features scenery by Gianni Quaranta and costumes by Anna Anni. This production, with scenery by Quaranta and costumes by Anni, was created for the film Dancers in 1987. Giselle is generously supported through an endowed gift from Sharon Patrick. ABT gratefully acknowledges Linda Allard as the Leading Costume Sponsor of Giselle.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre. Northern Trust is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. Mandarin Oriental, New York is the Preferred Hotel of American Ballet Theatre. The 2011 Metropolitan Opera House Season is also made possible with funds from the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2011 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. Performance-only tickets for the Opening Night Gala begin at $25. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Complete casting follows:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Metropolitan Opera House - Spring, 2011

FIRST WEEK

Mon. Eve., May 16, 6:30 P.M. GALA

THE BRIGHT STREAM, Act I (Waltz) – Company

JERUSALEM DIVERTISSEMENT– Students of the JKO School

TCHAIKOVSKY PAS DE DEUX – Murphy, Hallberg

THE NUTCRACKER, Pas de Deux– Part, Gomes

MAJISIMO (COMPANY PREMIERE) – Herrera, Carreño, Reyes,

Domitro++, Lorena Feijoo++, Boada++, Lorna Feijoo++,

Madrigal++

SWAN LAKE, Act II Pas de Deux – Herrera, Hammoudi*

SPLENDID ISOLATION III – Dvorovenko, Beloserkovsky

SWAN LAKE, Act III Pas de Deux – Wiles, Stearns

MANON, Act I Pas de Deux – Vishneva, Gomes

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY, Act III Pas de Deux – Cojocaru,

Cornejo

LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS, Act II Pas de Deux – Kent, Stearns

THE BRIGHT STREAM (Finale) - Company

Tues. Eve., May 17, 7:30 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Herrera, Carreño

Wed. Mat., May 18, 2 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Kajiya*, Simkin*

Wed. Eve., May 18 7:30 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Wiles, Stearns

Thurs. Eve., May 19, 7:30 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Reyes, Cornejo

Fri. Eve., May 20, 7:30 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Cojocaru**, Carreño

Sat. Mat., May 21, 2 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Semionova**, Hallberg

Sat. Eve., May 21, 8 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Murphy, Stearns

SECOND WEEK

Mon. Eve., May 23, 7:30 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Cojocaru, Carreño

Tues. Eve., May 24, 7:30 P.M. NEW RATMANSKY BALLET (WORLD PREMIERE) - Company

TROIKA (U. S. PREMIERE) – Simkin, Radetsky, Hammoudi SHADOWPLAY – Cornejo*, Reyes*, Stearns*

NEW WHEELDON BALLET (WORLD PREMIERE) – Riccetto,

Radetsky, Boylston, Gomes, Murphy, Hallberg, Messmer,

Hammoudi

Wed. Mat., May 25, 2 P.M. NEW RATMANSKY BALLET – Company

TROIKA –Matthews+, Hoven+, Forster+

SHADOWPLAY – Simkin*, Lane*, Doble*

NEW WHEELDON BALLET – Lane*, Matthews*, Seo*, Stearns*,

Abrera*, Tamm*, Shevchenko*, Hoven*

Wed. Eve., May 25, 7:30 P.M. NEW RATMANSKY BALLET – Company

TROIKA – Simkin, Radetsky, Hammoudi

SHADOWPLAY – Cornejo, Reyes, Stearns

NEW WHEELDON BALLET – Riccetto, Radetsky, Boylston,

Gomes, Murphy, Hallberg, Messmer, Hammoudi

Thurs. Eve., May 26, 7:30 P.M. NEW RATMANSKY BALLET – Company

TROIKA – Matthews, Hoven, Forster

SHADOWPLAY – Simkin, Lane, Doble

NEW WHEELDON BALLET – Lane, Matthews, Seo, Stearns,

Abrera, Tamm, Shevchenko, Hoven

Fri. Eve., May 27, 7:30 P.M. GISELLE – Vishneva, Gomes, Part

Sat. Mat., May 28, 2 P.M. GISELLE – Dvorovenko, Beloserkovsky, Wiles

Sat. Eve., May 28, 8 P.M. GISELLE – Cojocaru**, Hallberg, Murphy

An event during the Met season:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE PRESENTS ABTKIDS

SATURDAY, MAY 21 AT 11:30AM AT

METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

One-Hour Performance to Feature

Special Appearance by Angelina Ballerina™

All Seats $25

ABTKids, a unique hour-long program designed for children and families, will present a performance of highlights from the Company’s 2011 Spring Season on Saturday, May 21 at 11:30 AM at the Metropolitan Opera House.

Narrated by ABT Principal Dancer Julie Kent, ABTKids includes a special guest appearance by Angelina Ballerina™, the little mouse with big dreams, and performances by the acclaimed dancers of ABT. The program will include Irina Dvorovenko in the Rose Adagio from The Sleeping Beauty, Paloma Herrera and Alexandre Hammoudi in the Swan Lake, Act II pas de deux and Yuriko Kajiya and Daniil Simkin the Don Quixote, Act III pas de deux, along with excerpts from Coppélia, The Bright Stream and Cinderella.

A post-performance meet-and-greet with Angelina Ballerina™ in Damrosch Park is free to all ticket holders.

All tickets for ABTKids are $25 and are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located at Broadway and 65th Street in New York City. For more information visit www.abt.org.

CA, Inc. is a sponsor of ABT’s Family Initiatives. ABTKids is generously supported through an endowed gift from Thomas and Lydia West, in loving memory of Vivian B. West.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre. Northern Trust is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. Mandarin Oriental, New York is the Preferred Hotel of

American Ballet Theatre. The 2011 Metropolitan Opera House Season is also made possible with funds from the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

More from ABT on the season:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR THIRD AND FOURTH WEEKS

OF AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2011 SPRING SEASON

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Julie Kent to Celebrate 25th Anniversary with ABT on Friday, June 3

Casting for the third and fourth weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2011 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The season’s performances of Giselle will continue on Monday, May 30, led by Paloma Herrera and Roberto Bolle. Hee Seo will make her debut as Giselle at the matinee on Wednesday, June 1, opposite David Hallberg as Albrecht. Set to music by Adolphe Adam and orchestrated by John Lanchbery, Giselle was staged by Kevin McKenzie with choreography after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa. The two-act ballet features scenery by Gianni Quaranta and costumes by Anna Anni. This production, with scenery by Quaranta and costumes by Anni, was created for the film Dancers in 1987. Giselle is generously supported through an endowed gift from Sharon Patrick. ABT gratefully acknowledges Linda Allard as the Leading Costume Sponsor of Giselle.

John Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias will be given seven performances beginning Friday, June 3, with Julie Kent, Roberto Bolle, Gillian Murphy and David Hallberg in the leading roles. This performance will honor Ms. Kent as she celebrates her 25th anniversary with the Company. Set to music by Frédéric Chopin, Lady of the Camellias features scenery and costumes by Jürgen Rose with original lighting design by Neumeier, reconstructed by Ralf Merkel. Lady of the Camellias received its World Premiere by the Stuttgart Ballet on November 4, 1978 and was given its ABT Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House on May 25, 2010. Lady of the Camellias is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. This production is generously sponsored through an endowed gift from Ruth and Harold Newman.

Paloma Herrera, Marcelo Gomes, Gillian Murphy and David Hallberg will lead the New York Company Premiere of Alexei Ratmansky’s The Bright Stream on Thursday, June 9. Julie

Kent and Jose Manuel Carreño will dance the roles of Zina and Pyotr for the first time on Friday, June 10, with Isabella Boylston as the Ballerina and Daniil Simkin as the Ballet Dancer. On Saturday, June 11, Natalia Osipova will make her ABT debut as the Ballerina at the matinee and Veronika Part, Alexandre Hammoudi, Stella Abrera and Cory Stearns will debut in the leading roles at the evening performance. Set to Dmitri Shostakovich’s The Bright Stream, the ballet features sets by Illya Utkin, costumes by Elena Markovskaya and lighting by Brad Fields. Tatiana Ratmansky assisted Alexei Ratmansky in staging the ballet for ABT. Ratmansky’s The Bright Stream received its World Premiere by the Bolshoi Ballet on April 18, 2003 with sets and costumes by Boris Messerer. The Bright Stream received its Company Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on January 21, 2011 at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. The Bright Stream is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. This production has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre. Northern Trust is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. Mandarin Oriental, New York is the Preferred Hotel of American Ballet Theatre.

The 2011 Metropolitan Opera House Season is also made possible with funds from the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2011 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Complete casting follows:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Metropolitan Opera House - Spring, 2011

THIRD WEEK

Mon. Eve., May 30, 7:30 P.M. GISELLE – Herrera, Bolle, Wiles

Tues. Eve., May 31, 7:30 P.M. GISELLE – Kent, Carreño, Murphy

Wed. Mat., June 1, 2 P.M. GISELLE – Seo*, Hallberg, Abrera

Wed. Eve., June 1, 7:30 P.M. GISELLE – Reyes, Cornejo, Messmer

Thurs. Eve., June 2, 7:30 P.M. GISELLE - Vishneva, Gomes, Part

Fri. Eve., June 3. 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Kent, Bolle, Murphy, Hallberg

Sat. Mat., June 4, 2 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Vishneva, Gomes, Part, Tamm

Sat. Eve., June 4, 8 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Dvorovenko, Stearns, Abrera,

Hoven

FOURTH WEEK

Mon. Eve., June 6, 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Kent, Bolle, Murphy, Hallberg

Tues. Eve., June 7, 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Vishneva, Gomes, Part, Tamm

Wed. Mat., June 8, 2 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Dvorovenko, Stearns, Abrera,

Hoven

Wed. Eve., June 8, 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Kent, Bolle, Murphy, Hallberg

Thurs. Eve., June 9, 7:30 P.M. THE BRIGHT STREAM (NEW YORK COMPANY

PREMIERE) – Herrera, Gomes, Murphy, Hallberg

Fri. Eve., June 10, 7:30 P.M. THE BRIGHT STREAM – Kent,* Carreño,* Boylston+, Simkin+

Sat. Mat., June 11, 2 P.M. THE BRIGHT STREAM – Reyes+, Cornejo+, Osipova**, Simkin

Sat. Eve., June 11, 8 P.M. THE BRIGHT STREAM – Part*, Hammoudi*, Abrera*, Stearns*