This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT at the Met 2011

I just got a Three or more subscription for the ABT Met Season. That's the one in which you can select 3 or more dates of your choosing. OK I spent more than I intended but I got - Cojocaru in Giselle & Don Q (I so adored her in SB last year that I broke my no more Giselles rule for her & I also doubt I'll get many more opportunities to see her). I got Bright Stream with Reyes, Cornejo, Osipova (who I've never seen live) and Simkin and I got a rep performance with Cornejo in Shadowplay.

I'm so looking forward to it all. My biggest concern is that Cojocaru get injured before then. My hope is that the rep night will have some interesting casting in the new ballets. My bias is towards rep over full lengths.

I just got a Three or more subscription for the ABT Met Season. . . I got - Cojocaru in Giselle & Don Q (I so adored her in SB last year that I broke my no more Giselles rule for her & I also doubt I'll get many more opportunities to see her). . . .

. . . My hope is that the rep night will have some interesting casting in the new ballets. . . .

Why do you think you won't have many more opportunities to see Cojocaru? Too many injuries? Impending retirement? Dissociation from ABT?

I hesitate on the 3-or-more subscription -- it doesn't look like there's a price savings and you pick section but not actual seats. I waited for single tickets a year ago and was planning to wait until April 3 this year for singles. It seemed as if there were tons of great seats available and you could pick out your exact seat that way. Am I missing something?

Any information announced yet on the new ballets? I haven't seen news releases anywhere about casting for any of them.

Why do you think you won't have many more opportunities to see Cojocaru? Too many injuries? Impending retirement? Dissociation from ABT?

Any information announced yet on the new ballets? I haven't seen news releases anywhere about casting for any of them.

Alina Cojocaru is appearing as a guest artist with ABT this year in just a few performances. There is no way of knowing whether she'll return in future years.

The casting for the lead parts in ABT's spring schedule is available on their website:

http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=5/1/2011

I hesitate on the 3-or-more subscription -- it doesn't look like there's a price savings and you pick section but not actual seats. I waited for single tickets a year ago and was planning to wait until April 3 this year for singles. It seemed as if there were tons of great seats available and you could pick out your exact seat that way. Am I missing something?

As RUKen said, Cojocaru doesn't appear regularly with ABT, and doesn't do many performances with them. That's why I don't think I'll get to see her much.

I see what you mean about the 3-or more subscription. I'm hoping that there will be some seating advantages. I guess it depends on what you want to see. Last year I had trouble getting good single seats for a couple of performance that I really wanted to see. I think Cojocaru and Osipova sell particularly well, so there is strong chance that seating will be limited. The ABT rep that I spoke to asked about my seating preferences (more center or closer etc.) I do know that they fill 1st with subscribers, next with the 3 or more people and the remaining tickets go on single sale.

Anyway I knew what I wanted to see so I gave it a try. After this, I'll know if single tickets are the way to go!

I too wish there was more info about the casting in the new ballets.

BTW I had a very interesting discussion with the ABT rep about choice of dancers and ballets. He didn't tip his hand about his preferences, (well maybe once) but he was fun to talk to and very helpful.

I just noticed that casting has been announced on the ABT site for Troika, the new Millepied work on the NY program of premieres May 24-26. http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=5/1/2011

But I haven't seen any hints anywhere about what to expect with the new Ratmansky and Wheeldon works -- nothing on their press release site or calendar. Has anyone seen anything, perhaps some feature stories or news reports?

Regarding casting, an ad in the NY Times about 2 weeks ago indicates that Reyes' partner for SB on July 6 is Cornejo. The ABT website was not updated to reflect that info.

This is confirmed in the brochure that was recently mailed for ordering individual tickets. (They are not yet available online.)

Anyone planning to be in line at the box office on Sunday to exchange tickets? This is an annual pilgrimage for me. This year I am exchanging every one of my subscription tickets and hope hope hope I'm able to get what I want, where I want, and especially WHO I want.

Have any of you gotten your single tickets yet? I received my subscription tickets but not the extras. I'm not completely sure I remember what extra tickets I ordered, making it hard to know what to exchange for tomorrow! Also, I'm a little confused by my subscription tickets, which have "no refunds or exchanges" printed right on the ticket, while the accompanying letter describes how to exchange during subscriber exchange week.

Any insights?

Have any of you gotten your single tickets yet? I received my subscription tickets but not the extras. I'm not completely sure I remember what extra tickets I ordered, making it hard to know what to exchange for tomorrow! Also, I'm a little confused by my subscription tickets, which have "no refunds or exchanges" printed right on the ticket, while the accompanying letter describes how to exchange during subscriber exchange week.

Any insights?

I believe single tickets are not officially on sale yet. I think it's April 1 or 3. Not sure. My past experience is that if you are a subscriber go with the letter. The tickets all say that. My guess is that it is too expensive and complicated to print different things on different tickets. They are all probably printed in advance.

I'm curious: have subscribers who went to the box office yesterday or today to exchange discovered that any performances are sold out or nearly so?

In a mailing I got from ABT, they said they expect the most limited availability to be May 16 (opening gala), May 21 mat (Don Q), May 24 (premieres), June 30 (Swan Lake). Is that what you're experiencing so far?

I'm curious: have subscribers who went to the box office yesterday or today to exchange discovered that any performances are sold out or nearly so?

In a mailing I got from ABT, they said they expect the most limited availability to be May 16 (opening gala), May 21 mat (Don Q), May 24 (premieres), June 30 (Swan Lake). Is that what you're experiencing so far?

I exchanged my tickets on Sunday and was able to get everything I wanted.

The 5/30 performance is the Carreno Farewell - it will definitely sell out

I doubt that any of the other performances will sell out but they may well sell out certain sections for those performances, so whether or not you should rush out to buy tickets as soon as single seats are offered depends on how picky you are about where you sit

There is always strong demand for the Gala, but it's a big house, it's hardly ever 100% sold out. The 5/21 Saturday matinee is Paulina Semionova's ABT debut. She isn't exactly a household name in NY so I don't think you have to worry about the house selling out. Mixed rep programs also don't typically sell out at the Met, even with new choreography.

Typically when there's high demand the best seats in the house and the cheapest seats in the house sell very well so, once again, it all depends on where you like to sit!

"The 5/30 performance is the Carreno Farewell - it will definitely sell out"

Susan, the website states: May 30

Metropolitan Opera House

New York, New York

7:30 PM

Giselle

P. Herrera

R. Bolle

M. Wiles

Is something special happening on that date other than the performance of "Giselle" with Bolle as Albrecht? I really want good seats to that show, and your post made me nervous.

"The 5/30 performance is the Carreno Farewell - it will definitely sell out"

Susan, the website states: May 30

Metropolitan Opera House

New York, New York

7:30 PM

Giselle

P. Herrera

R. Bolle

M. Wiles

Is something special happening on that date other than the performance of "Giselle" with Bolle as Albrecht? I really want good seats to that show, and your post made me nervous.

I think the Carreno farewell is June 30, not 5/30. And 6/30 was one of the four that the ABT publicity recently said would have very limited availability.

A subscriber friend ordered a number of tickets for me, and as of yesterday, she's received ONLY the tickets for the above-mentioned, sure-to-sell-out 6/30 Carreno Farewell :crying: (sniff, sniff) . The other single-order tickets, for both herself and me, she expects to come separately. If that's their system, it seems less efficient and more costly than necessary.

As of yesterday my credit card has been billed for the individual tickets I ordered, but so far no tickets have arrived. I'm awaiting the Carreno Swan Lake and the Swan Lake with Semionova and Hallberg. Crossing fingers I get decent seats.

WORLD PREMIERES BY ALEXEI RATMANSKY

AND CHRISTOPHER WHEELDON,

U.S. PREMIERE OF TROIKA BY BENJAMIN MILLEPIED, AND REVIVAL PREMIERE OF ANTONY TUDOR’S SHADOWPLAY

TO HIGHLIGHT AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S

SPRING SEASON AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE,

MAY 16-JULY 9, 2011

SEASON TO INCLUDE SPECIAL CELEBRATIONS

FOR JOSE MANUEL CARREÑO,

PALOMA HERRERA AND JULIE KENT

ALINA COJOCARU, NATALIA OSIPOVA AND

POLINA SEMIONOVA TO APPEAR AS GUEST ARTISTS

BOX OFFICE OPENS SUNDAY, APRIL 3

American Ballet Theatre’s 2011 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House,

May 16-July 9, will be highlighted by World Premieres by Alexei Ratmansky and Christopher Wheeldon and the U.S. Premiere of Benjamin Millepied’s Troika, as well as the Revival Premiere of Antony Tudor’s Shadowplay. Tickets for ABT’s Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House go on sale at the box office on Sunday, April 3.

Principal Dancers for the 2011 Metropolitan Opera Season include Maxim Beloserkovsky, Roberto Bolle, Jose Manuel Carreño, Angel Corella, Herman Cornejo,

Irina Dvorovenko, Marcelo Gomes, David Hallberg, Paloma Herrera, Julie Kent, Gillian Murphy, Veronika Part, Xiomara Reyes, Cory Stearns, Ethan Stiefel, Diana Vishneva and Michele Wiles.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre. Northern Trust is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. Mandarin Oriental, New York is the Preferred Hotel of American Ballet Theatre.

The 2011 Metropolitan Opera House Season is also made possible with funds from the National

Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, and the

New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

American Ballet Theatre’s 2011 Spring Season opens with a Gala performance featuring ABT’s Principal Dancers on Monday, May 16 at 6:30 P.M. For information on ABT’s Spring Gala, please call the Special Events Office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3239. The 2011 Spring Gala is sponsored by Graff.

Guest Artists

Alina Cojocaru, a principal dancer with The Royal Ballet; Natalia Osipova, a principal dancer with the Bolshoi Ballet; and Polina Semionova, a principal dancer with Berlin State Opera Ballet, will appear as guest artists for the Spring season. For ABT, Cojocaru will perform Kitri in Don Quixote opposite Jose Manuel Carreño as Basilio on Friday, May 20, and Monday, May 23; the title role in Giselle opposite Ethan Stiefel on Saturday evening, May 28; and Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty opposite Herman Cornejo on Friday, July 8. Osipova will perform the Ballerina in The Bright Stream at the matinee on Saturday, June 11, and the evening of Tuesday, June 14; Coppélia opposite Ethan Stiefel on Friday evening, June 17, and Monday evening, June 20; and Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty opposite

David Hallberg on the evening of Wednesday, July 6. Semionova will perform Kitri in Don Quixote at the matinee on Saturday, May 21, opposite David Hallberg as Basilio, and the dual role of Odette/Odile in Swan Lake on Saturday evening, July 2, opposite Hallberg as Prince Siegfried.

World Premieres and Major Revival

New works by two of the dance world’s most acclaimed choreographers,

Alexei Ratmansky and Christopher Wheeldon, will be given their World Premieres on Tuesday evening, May 24. Set to the music of Igor Stravinsky’s Dumbarton Oaks, Ratmanksy’s new ballet will feature costumes by Richard Hudson and lighting by Brad Fields. As American Ballet Theatre’s Artist in Residence, Ratmansky has previously created On the Dnieper (2009), Seven Sonatas (2009), Waltz Masquerade (2009) and The Nutcracker (2010) on the Company.

The World Premiere of a new work by Wheeldon, set to Benjamin Britten’s

Diversions for Piano (left hand) and Orchestra, Op. 21, will be his first creation especially for American Ballet Theatre. ABT previously performed Wheeldon’s VIII in 2004.

The World Premieres by Ratmansky and Wheeldon will be part of an all-repertory program to be given four performances, May 24-26. The program will also include the Revival Premiere of Antony Tudor’s Shadowplay and the U.S. Premiere of Benjamin Millepied’s Troika.

Created by Antony Tudor for The Royal Ballet in 1967, Shadowplay is based on a theme from Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book and set to music by Charles Koechlin. With scenery and costumes by Michael Annals and lighting by Nananne Porcher, Shadowplay received its American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere at the New York State Theater, New York on July 23, l975, performed by Mikhail Baryshnikov (Boy With Matted Hair), Gelsey Kirkland (Celestial) and Jonas Kage (Terrestrial). Shadowplay was last performed by the Company in May 26, 1979 at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York.

Herman Cornejo will dance the role of the Boy With Matted Hair in the Revival Premiere of Shadowplay on May 24, and Daniil Simkin will debut in the role at the matinee on Wednesday, May 25. The ballet is staged for ABT by Christopher Newton.

Benjamin Millepied’s Troika, set to the music of Johann Sebastian Bach’s Suite for Solo Cello No. 2 in D Minor and Suite for Solo Cello No. 3 in C Major, was commissioned by American Ballet Theatre for the Rostropovich Festival in honor of the birthday of the late Mstislav Rostropovich. With costumes by Paul Cox and lighting by Brad Fields, Troika will be given its U.S. Premiere on Tuesday, May 24, performed by Daniil Simkin, Sascha Radetsky and Alexandre Hammoudi. Troika is Millepied’s third work for ABT, and was given its World Premiere on March 29, 2011 in Moscow. His previous works for the Company include From Here On Out (2007) and Everything Doesn’t Happen at Once (2009).

New York Company Premiere

The Bright Stream, a comic ballet in two acts choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky, will be given its New York Company Premiere on Thursday evening, June 9, with Paloma Herrera, Marcelo Gomes, Gillian Murphy and David Hallberg in the leading roles. Set to Dmitri Shostakovich’s The Bright Stream, the ballet features sets by Illya Utkin, costumes by Elena Markovskaya and lighting by Brad Fields. The libretto, by Adrian Piotrovsky and Fyodor

Lopukhov, tells the story of the members of a Russian farm collective in the 1930’s and their

humorous interactions with a group of visiting performers during the harvest festival. Ratmansky’s The Bright Stream received its World Premiere by the Bolshoi Ballet on

April 18, 2003 with sets and costumes by Boris Messerer. The original production of The Bright Stream, with choreography by Lopukhov, was premiered on April 4, 1935 by the Maly Opera and Ballet Theater at the Maly Theatre in Leningrad.

The Bright Stream received its Company Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on January 21, 2011 at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.

Tatiana Ratmansky assisted Ratmansky in staging the ballet for ABT.

Full-Length Ballets

American Ballet Theatre’s 2011 Spring Season at The Metropolitan Opera House will feature an additional seven full-length ballets during the eight-week engagement.

The Season’s first performance of Don Quixote will be led by Paloma Herrera and Jose Manuel Carreño on Tuesday evening, May 17. Staged by Kevin McKenzie and Susan Jones, with choreography after Marius Petipa and Alexander Gorsky, Don Quixote is set to music by Ludwig Minkus and features scenery and costumes by Santo Loquasto and lighting by Natasha Katz. The McKenzie/Jones staging of the current production was first performed by ABT in June 1995.

Eight performances of Giselle will be given beginning Friday evening, May 27, with Diana Vishneva in the title role dancing opposite Marcelo Gomes as Albrecht. Hee Seo will make her debut in the title role dancing opposite David Hallberg as Albrecht at the matinee on Wednesday, June 1. Set to music by Adolphe Adam and orchestrated by John Lanchbery, Giselle is staged by Kevin McKenzie with choreography after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa. The two-act ballet features scenery by Gianni Quaranta and costumes by Anna Anni. This production, with scenery by Quaranta and costumes by Anni, was created for the film Dancers in 1987.

John Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias will be given seven performances beginning Friday evening, June 3 with Julie Kent as Marguerite and Roberto Bolle as Armand. Set to music by Frédéric Chopin, Lady of the Camellias was choreographed by Neumeier after the

novel by Alexandre Dumas, fils. The ballet features scenery and costumes by Jürgen Rose with

original lighting design by Neumeier, reconstructed by Ralf Merkel. Lady of the Camellias was given its World Premiere by the Stuttgart Ballet at the Weurttemberg Staatstheatre, Stuttgart, Germany on November 4, 1978. The ballet received its United States premiere by the Stuttgart Ballet at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, D.C. on May 15, 1979 and was given its Company Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on May 25, 2010 at The Metropolitan Opera House with Julie Kent as Marguerite and Roberto Bolle as Armand. Lady of the Camellias is staged for ABT by Kevin Haigen and Victor Hughes.

Frederic Franklin’s staging of Coppélia will have its Revival Premiere on Thursday evening, June 16, with Xiomara Reyes as Swanilda and Herman Cornejo as Franz. Staged and directed by Franklin after Nicholas Sergeyev and the original staging by Arthur Saint Léon, Coppélia features music by Léo Delibes, scenery by Tony Straiges, costumes by Patricia Zipprodt and lighting by Brad Fields.

Coppélia received its world premiere on May 25, l870 at the Theatre Imperial de l’Opera, Paris, danced by Giuseppina Bozacchi (Swanilda) and Eugenie Fiocre (Franz). It received its American Ballet Theatre Premiere at the Palacio de Bellas Artes, Mexico City on September 1, l942, with choreography by Simon Semenoff, in one act and three scenes, from the original by Arthur Saint Léon, danced by Irina Baronova (Swanilda) and Anton Dolin (Franz).

A production of the full-length Coppélia, with choreography by Enrique Martinez from the original by Saint-Léon and scenery and costumes by William Pitkin, was given its American Ballet Theatre Premiere at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on December 24, 1968, danced by Carla Fracci (Swanilda) and Erik Bruhn (Franz). A new production with choreography by Enrique Martinez, scenery by Tony Straiges, and costumes by Patricia Zipprodt, received its ABT premiere at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. on January 18, 1991, danced by Cheryl Yeager (Swanilda) and Julio Bocca (Franz). Frederic Franklin’s new staging received its ABT Premiere at the Orange County Performing Arts Center in Costa Mesa, California on February 14, 1997, danced by Paloma Herrera (Swanilda) and Angel Corella (Franz). The ballet was last performed by ABT in 2004.

Gillian Murphy and David Hallberg will lead the Season’s first performance of James Kudelka’s Cinderella on Tuesday evening, June 21. American Ballet Theatre will give seven

performances of the ballet through Saturday evening, June 25. Xiomara Reyes will dance

opposite Sascha Radetsky in his debut as Her Prince Charming on Wednesday evening, June 22. This production of Cinderella was given its world premiere by The National Ballet of Canada in Toronto, Canada on May 8, 2004. The ballet received its American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere on June 2, 2006 at the Metropolitan Opera House, danced by Julie Kent (Cinderella) and Marcelo Gomes (Her Prince Charming).

Eight performances of Swan Lake, choreographed by Kevin McKenzie after Marius Petipa, will be given beginning Monday, June 27 with Irina Dvorovenko and Maxim Beloserkovsky leading the opening night cast. Swan Lake is set to the score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky and features scenery and costumes by Zack Brown and lighting by Duane Schuler. This production of Swan Lake premiered on March 24, 2000 at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.

American Ballet Theatre’s final week of its eight-week Metropolitan Opera House Season will feature seven performances of The Sleeping Beauty, July 5-9. Set to a score by

Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, The Sleeping Beauty, choreographed after Marius Petipa, has additional choreography and staging by Kevin McKenzie, Gelsey Kirkland and Michael Chernov. The production features scenery by Tony Walton, costumes by Willa Kim with additional costume designs by Holly Hynes, and lighting by Richard Pilbrow and Dawn Chiang. Veronika Part and Marcelo Gomes will lead the Season’s first performance of The Sleeping Beauty on Tuesday evening, July 5. This production of The Sleeping Beauty received its World Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House on June 1, 2007.

Jose Manuel Carreño Farewell

Principal Dancer Jose Manuel Carreño will give his final New York performance with American Ballet Theatre on Thursday evening, June 30. The evening will be highlighted by a special performance of Swan Lake featuring Carreño in the role of Prince Siegfried dancing opposite Julie Kent as Odette and Gillian Murphy as Odile. Tickets for Carreño’s farewell performance are priced from $30-$115.

Anniversary Celebrations for Julie Kent and Paloma Herrera

American Ballet Theatre will commemorate milestone anniversaries for Principal Dancers Julie Kent and Paloma Herrera. To celebrate her 25 years with American Ballet Theatre, Kent will dance the role of the Parisian courtesan Marguerite Gautier, opposite Roberto Bolle’s Armand Duval, in John Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias on Friday evening, June 3. Marking her 20th anniversary with the Company. Herrera will dance the role of Swanilda, the role she originated in this production of Coppélia, on Saturday evening, June 18.

ABTKids

ABTKids, American Ballet Theatre’s annual one-hour introduction to ballet, is scheduled for Saturday morning, May 21 at 11:30 A.M.. All tickets for ABTKids are $25. The ABTKids performance is generously supported through an endowed gift from Thomas and Lydia West, in loving memory of Vivian B. West.

ABTKids Workshop Series

ABTKids Workshop Series, activity-based programs led by ABT Teaching Artists, are available to ABTKids ticket holders only on Saturday, May 21 (9:30 A.M.). A Coppélia Workshop will be held on Saturday, June 18, at 11:00 A.M. and a Cinderella Workshop on Saturday, June 25 at 11:00 A.M. Saturday workshops will be held in the rehearsal studios of the Metropolitan Opera House. Tickets to the workshops are $20 per person. For tickets and more information on ABTKids Workshop series, please call 212-419-4321.

Early Bird 7:30 P.M. Friday Series

American Ballet Theatre introduces a new Early Bird Series with 7:30 P.M. curtain times for all Friday evening performances. Performances Monday through Friday will begin at

7:30 P.M., with Wednesday and Saturday matinees at 2:00 P.M. Saturday evening performances will remain at 8:00 P.M.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2011 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House, on sale beginning Sunday, April 3, are available by phone at 212-362-6000, or online at ABT’s website www.abt.org.

The Bright Stream is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. This production has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Cinderella is generously supported through an endowed gift from Monica, Stefano, Cosima, and Tassilo Corsi. This production has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts and the New York State Council on the Arts, a State Agency.

Funding for Coppélia was provided by The Lucia Chase Foundation and The Green Fund, Inc.

Don Quixote is generously supported through an endowed gift from Anka K. Palitz, in memory of Clarence Y. Palitz, Jr.

American Ballet Theatre's performances of Giselle are generously supported through an endowed gift from Sharon Patrick. ABT gratefully acknowledges Linda Allard as the Leading Costume Sponsor of Giselle.

Lady of the Camellias is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. This production is generously sponsored through an endowed gift from Ruth and Harold Newman.

Swan Lake has been generously underwritten by The Rosh Foundation. Costumes for Swan Lake are generously sponsored by the Ellen Everett Kimiatek Costume Preservation Trust.

Joan Taub Ades and Alan M. Ades, Adrienne Arsht, Arlene and Harvey Blau, Devon and Peter Briger, Susan and Leonard Feinstein, Edward A. Fox, Lori and Stephen Garofalo, Julia and David H. Koch, Konrad R. Kruger, Jill L. Leinbach, Charlotte and MacDonald Mathey, and Jean and Lawrence Shaw are Co-Underwriters of The Sleeping Beauty. Additional funding provided by the NIB Foundation. Special thanks to Caroline Newhouse. This production has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

The works by Alexei Ratmansky, Christopher Wheeldon and Benjamin Millepied are generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. Christopher Wheeldon’s ballet is made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a State Agency. Additional funding for Benjamin Millepied’s ballet has been provided by Michele and Steven Pesner.

Shadowplay is generously supported by a gift from Nancy Zeckendorf.

CA Technologies is a Sponsor of ABT’s Family Initiatives.

I offered to buy a friend a single ticket to the Carreno farewell during the advance subscriber priority period. At the box office window, I was told that the best available single tix in the orchestra was Row Y against the wall. Sounds like the Carreno farewell is a virtual sellout.

Also, regarding the press release, did anyone else find it curious that the release mentions that Bolle is going to be Kent's partner at her 25th anniversary performance, but the release doesn't mention that Paloma's partner is scheduled to be Angel Corella at her 20th anniversary performance. I wonder if Corella will perform. I hope so.

Here's an Opening Night release:

A TRIBUTE TO JOSE MANUEL CARREÑO TO HIGHLIGHT

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S OPENING NIGHT GALA AT

METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE,

MONDAY, MAY 16, 2011 AT 6:30 P.M.

Principal Dancers from San Francisco Ballet and Boston Ballet

Join ABT Dancers for a One-Night-Only Performance

Gala Evening Sponsored by Graff

A tribute to Principal Dancer Jose Manuel Carreño will highlight American Ballet Theatre’s Opening Night Gala at the Metropolitan Opera House on Monday, May 16 at

6:30 P.M. In honor of his farewell season with the Company, Carreño will be joined onstage by ABT’s Paloma Herrera and Xiomara Reyes, San Francisco Ballet’s Lorena Feijoo, Joan Boada and Taras Domitro and Boston Ballet’s Lorna Feijoo and Nelson Madrigal in the ABT Premiere of Jorge Garcia’s Majisimo. Majisimo is set to music from Jules Massenet’s El Cid. The evening will also feature ABT Principal Dancers in highlights from the Spring Season.

Mrs. Michelle Obama will serve as Honorary Chairman, along with Carolina Herrera, Caroline Kennedy and Blaine Trump. Sloan Lindemann Barnett and Diane B. Wilsey will serve as Gala Chairmen and Henri Barguirdjian and Robin Chemers Neustein are Co-Chairmen. Corporate Chairmen are Christine and Renaud Dutreil and Karin and Stephen Sadove. Elizabeth and Donald Kramer, Paula and John Mahoney and Nancy McCormack Vella will serve as

Vice Chairmen. Aileen Mehle is Chairman Emerita. Daniel Cappello, Blair Husain, Alexandra Kerry, Lily Johnson White and Josette Winograd will serve as Junior Co-Chairmen.

American Ballet Theatre’s 2011 Spring Gala is sponsored by Graff. A portion of the proceeds from the Spring Gala will support ABT’s education and community outreach programs.

A Gala dinner under the Tent at Lincoln Center will immediately follow the performance. Gala benefit tickets prices at $1,500, $2,000 and $2,500 include the performance and post-performance dinner. For Gala benefit ticket information only, call American Ballet Theatre’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3239.

Performance-only tickets, beginning at $25, are available online, at the Metropolitan Opera House box office or by calling 212-362-6000. For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

There are TONS of changes/additions on the updated ABT online calendar.

Stearns replaces Stiefel in Don Q. w. Murphy on May 21 evening

Hallberg replaces Steifel in Giselle w. Cojocaru on May 28

Abrera is Myrta at the June 1 Giselle Matinee; Messmer is Myrta for the June 1 evening Giselle (replacing Abrera)

Part replaces Messmer on June 2 as Myrta

Simkin replaces Stiefel as Osipova's partner in Coppelia.

Jared Mathews replaces Simkin in the June 18 matinee of Coppelia

Gomes replaces Stiefel in Swan Lke on June 29 and in Sleeping Beauty on July 9 Matinee

Hee Seo is out of Bright Stream, replaced by Isabella Boylston. Simkin will perform in four of the eight performances of Bright Stream. (He has been added to the June 10 and June 15 matinee.)

Opening night program info is up.

It seems like they are using Simkin a lot in principal roles. How about pairing him with Lane!