John MarkovskyBiography

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tanja

Tanja

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

I have not been able to find any detailed biographical and career information on John Markovsky, former Kirov dancer and partner of Alla Osipenko. Can anyone direct me to a source?

Thanks

#2 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

In the Spring, 1998 issue of Ballet Review there is a long profile of Osipenko by Joel Lobenthal. It has many mentions and photographs of Markovsky.

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

In an interview for Russian TV made 4-5 years ago, in her apartment (with her pets running around), Osipenko mentioned that Markovsky had settled in Israel.

#4 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

And to add another bit of information that some may recall and others may not, Markovsky was Siegfried in the 1968 Kirov Swan Lake film with Evteyeva.

There was a short thread on it some years ago:

http://balletalert.i...-with-evteyeva/

#5 Tanja

Tanja

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:29 AM

Thank you everyone for the information. Yes, I really like the 1968 Kirov version of Swan Lake, which is one of the reasons why I was curious about John Markovsky and was surprised to find almost no biographical information specifically on him, just bits and pieces when other dancers are discussed. I couldn't even find biographical basics such as date and place of birth.

#6 Tanja

Tanja

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:34 AM

In an interview for Russian TV made 4-5 years ago, in her apartment (with her pets running around), Osipenko mentioned that Markovsky had settled in Israel.

Thanks Natalia, do you know if he is still active artistically, as a teacher, director, choreographer?

#7 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

Tanja, the show was about 5 years ago, so I don't know if Markovsky is still active but he was working with an Israel-based troupe at the time.

Markovsky's bio info should be easily found in either the "Encyclopaedia of Russian Ballet or the "Hundred years of Ballet in St-Petersburg" reference books. I have both at home so cannot check just now.

#8 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hi Tanja, have you seen this youtube clip?

The Ice Maiden

I also really liked him in Anyuta. He is well cast as the tall handsome lover.

#9 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

Tanja, the St-P tome indicates that Markovsky was born on Feb 23, 1944, in Yakutsk. Upon graduation from the local ballet academy in 62, danced with local troupe from 62-64. From 64-65, took the one-yr 'finishing class' at the Vaganova Academy, St-P (class of Kumysnikov). Then danced from 65-71 with Kirov, from 71-73 with Yakobsen's Chor. Miniatures troupe, from 73-77 with "Lenkonsert" (?), and from 77-82 as a soloist in Boris Eifman's troupe. Nothing listed after 82, so assume emigrated to Israel around then (as per Osipenko interview)???

#10 Tanja

Tanja

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

Tanja, the St-P tome indicates that Markovsky was born on Feb 23, 1944, in Yakutsk. Upon graduation from the local ballet academy in 62, danced with local troupe from 62-64. From 64-65, took the one-yr 'finishing class' at the Vaganova Academy, St-P (class of Kumysnikov). Then danced from 65-71 with Kirov, from 71-73 with Yakobsen's Chor. Miniatures troupe, from 73-77 with "Lenkonsert" (?), and from 77-82 as a soloist in Boris Eifman's troupe. Nothing listed after 82, so assume emigrated to Israel around then (as per Osipenko interview)???

Thank you, that is very helpful.

#11 Tanja

Tanja

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

Thank you everyone for all the useful information you gave me.

Tanja

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):