This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Question #9: Who is Giselle's florist?

Alexandra

It seems to me that some of the flower and plant imagery in Giselle is tied in with the whole idea of nature as a very powerful force. Even in the 19th century in the cities (where of course ballet was done), people were more dependant on nature than we, with our efficient food delivery systems, are. One bad harvest, and the towns would suffer.

The idea that nature is a power to be recconded with and often dangerous (rather than a vacation destination) is in quite of few of the classics, I think. Swan Lake, of course, where forests had strange beings. And originally Rothbart was an owl. And Sleeping Beauty, with the Lilac Fairy as a real power.

All the plants in Giselle make a pretty stage picture, of course, but I think underneath there is some sense that nature is controlling their lives, not a very 20th (or 21st) century attitude.

I am so glad I found this topic because I've been wondering about the flowers in Giselle.

I've been watching the Royal Ballet Cojocaru/Kobborg performance a lot lately (frankly I'm obsessed with it, I love it so much). Albrecht brings the lilies to Giselles grave, and they look like Easter lilies, which make sense given the whole theme of death/resurrection. But later, after Giselle forgives Albrecht, she gives him smaller white flowers. Are these a different type of lily? I assume they imply forgiveness? If I'm remembering correctly, in the ABT version, Giselle showers Albrecht with flowers?

I am so glad I found this topic because I've been wondering about the flowers in Giselle.

I've been watching the Royal Ballet Cojocaru/Kobborg performance a lot lately (frankly I'm obsessed with it, I love it so much). Albrecht brings the lilies to Giselles grave, and they look like Easter lilies, which make sense given the whole theme of death/resurrection. But later, after Giselle forgives Albrecht, she gives him smaller white flowers. Are these a different type of lily? I assume they imply forgiveness? If I'm remembering correctly, in the ABT version, Giselle showers Albrecht with flowers?

Kaysta,

Thank you for your post lauding this Giselle performance - made me just add the RB Cojocaru DVD to my collection. I just bought it and cannot wait to see it!

Kaysta,

Thank you for your post lauding this Giselle performance - I just bought it! I cannot wait to see it!

made me just add the RB Cojocaru DVD to my collection!

Alina is an amazing Giselle, especially her act 1 (though her act 2 is still pretty fantastic). I hope you enjoy it!