This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2011 Giselle

First few casts for Giselle. For me, the 'can't miss' casts are Van Patten/Heliments/Altman and Zahorian/Domitro/Sylve. Last month I saw Zahorian and Domitro in a Nutcracker Snow Queen/King and they turned it into something special - they spark off each other and their beautifully clean techniques are a terrific match.

There are four more performances after the ones listed here; I hope Kochetkova turns up in one of them.

GISELLE 

Opening Night

Saturday Evening, January 29, 2011, 8:00 PM

Giselle: Yuan Yuan Tan

Albrecht: Artem Yachmennikov+

Myrtha: Sofiane Sylve

+premiere in Tomasson's production

Sunday Matinee, January 30, 2011, 2:00 PM

Giselle: Sarah Van Patten+

Albrecht: Tiit Helimets

Myrtha: Elana Altman

Tuesday Evening
, February 01, 2011, 8:00PM

Giselle: Vanessa Zahorian

Albrecht: Taras Domitro+

Myrtha: Sofiane Sylve

Wednesday Evening, February 02, 2011, 7:30 PM

Giselle: Sarah Van Patten

Albrecht: Tiit Helimets

Friday Evening
, February 04, 2011, 8:00 PM

Giselle: Lorena Feijoo

Albrecht: Vitor Luiz+

Myrtha: Sofiane Sylve

The original casting didn't specify who would play Hilarion, but now a few are showing up:

Jan 29 - Pascal Molat

Jan 30, Feb 2 - Daniel Baker (about whom some very admiring comments have been made on Ballet Alert)

Feb 1 - Ruben Martin

Unfortunately, I can't insert links from work, so use the link above to keep up to date.

The rest of the Giselle casts. A couple of notable debuts as Myrtha: Frances Chung (Feb 10) and corp de ballet member Mariellen Olson (Feb 12 matinee).

GISELLE

Thursday, February 10, 2011, 8:00 PM

Giselle: Maria Kochetkova

Albrecht: Joan Boada

Myrtha: Frances Chung*

Saturday, February 12, 2011, 2:00 PM

Giselle: Vanessa Zahorian

Albrecht: Taras Domitro

Myrtha: Mariellen Olson*

Saturday, February 12, 2011, 8:00 PM

Giselle: Yuan Yuan Tan

Albrecht: Artem Yachmennikov

Myrtha: Sofiane Sylve

Sunday, February 13, 2011, 2:00 PM

Giselle: Lorena Feijoo

Albrecht: Vitor Luiz

While I admit I'd really, really like to see Yachmennikov and, especially Sofiane Sylve do their thang (I can totally see Sylve being my fav Myrtha since Martine Van Hamel), in terms of Giselles I have to go with Van Patten. She's such a good actress I think she's ready to give a really great Giselle. Curious to hear about the opening Saturday night show, but I'll be seeing the Sunday Matinee. The Thursday, February 10 Kochetkova, Boada, and Chung sounds interesting too. Masha and Joan are really good together and I'm curious what Frances will do with Myrtha.

Sunday 1/30

Saw today's performance. Just before the performance, it was announced that Myrtha would be danced by Frances Chung (replacing Elana Altman). I hope Elana is OK and that she was just not feeling well today. Frances did a wonderful job.

Sarah Van Patten as Giselle and Tiit Helimets were magnificent as Giselle and Albrecht. Wonderful debut by Daniel Baker as Hilarion - can't wait to see what else he'll do this season. I saw him in Tharp's In the Upper Room when Miami City Ballet was in Berkeley a few years ago and was happy to see him joining SFB.

I'll be seeing Lorena and Vitor on Friday.

Just got home from two Giselles (and a dead car battery) so not much time to comment, but some quick thoughts.

Saw today's performance. Just before the performance, it was announced that Myrtha would be danced by Frances Chung (replacing Elana Altman). I hope Elana is OK and that she was just not feeling well today. Frances did a wonderful job.

Elana replaced Sophiane Sylve on Friday night, so presumably that's why Chung's Myrta debut was bumped up to today. Frances Chung -- the Debbie Reynolds of the ballet world -- and she absolutely aced the Queen of Mean.

Sarah Van Patten as Giselle and Tiit Helimets were magnificent as Giselle and Albrecht.

I hate to sound like some gushing teenage fan site, but magnificent pretty much covers it, especially the second act. When I first started watching the company four or five years ago, Van Patten struck me as stylistically and temperamentally best suited to contemporary works; then she came out with a beautiful Odette and today a glorious Giselle, and I think no small part of her success today was due to Helimets wonderful Albrecht.

Wonderful debut by Daniel Baker as Hilarion...

Amen to that.

I also want to mention Isaac Hernandez in the Peasant pas de cinq. In a way, I don't think he's totally suited to this kind of bravura role -- not that he can't do it, but he has such elegance and dignity that he looks almost embarrassed for throwing off some spectacular jump or turn.

Keep an eye on the SFB website for casting changes...Myrtha seems to be changing daily from what was posted here.

Hello, sf-herminator

Thanks for your report. PLEASE post again and say more.

Meantime, I THINK I can contribute something re Altman/Chung -- which is that Ms Altman subbed for Sofiane Sylve on opening night, and it's Ms Sylve we need to burn our candles for. I admire her enormously, as perhaps do you. Ms. Altman had a HUGE success in the role.

I'm reviewing the performance for my newspaper, the Bay Area Reporter, and so can't say much more right now till that piece comes out (wednesday online, Thursday in hard copy).

Meantime, I THINK I can contribute something re Altman/Chung -- which is that Ms Altman subbed for Sofiane Sylve on opening night, and it's Ms Sylve we need to burn our candles for. I admire her enormously, as perhaps do you. Ms. Altman had a HUGE success in the role.

I'm reviewing the performance for my newspaper, the Bay Area Reporter, and so can't say much more right now till that piece comes out (wednesday online, Thursday in hard copy).

Thanks for the info. You are correct - I also admire Ms. Sylve. I will never forget when I first saw her as Myrtha during the 2008 season. She was a very chilling Myrtha. Can't wait to read your review later this week.

I agree that Ms Altamn is a wonderful Myrtha but then she learned from Muriel Maffrie the finest myrtha SFB has had. I am looking forward to Ms Sylvies return. I though Francis Chung did a very fine job Sunday. She had a wonderful nobel air but I think she lacked the fierceness that Ms Altman and Ms Sylvie bring to the role. I thought Mr Baker was outstanding as Hilarion. He displayed an amazing emotional depth in the role. I also agree that Sarah might be the best Giselle in the Company. She was outstanding Sunday. He mad scene is quite special. I was very impressed with Mr Helimets. I have considered him to be incredibly accomplished as a partner but a bit weak on the solo variations. However Sunday he danced wonderfully in his second act variations. Very impressive.

Wonderful debut by Daniel Baker as Hilarion...

Amen to that.

Friday's Meet the Artist Interview is with - Daniel Baker!!! I already bought my ticket for Friday because I wanted to see Lorena as Giselle (missed her in 2002 and 2005, she missed 2008) and now this makes it even better!!! Reminder that you can check the Meet the Artist Interview scheduled here: http://www.sfballet.org/educationcommunity/adulteducation/meettheartistinterviews.asp.

I had a chance to see Wednesday night's Giselle and agree with all posters. Sarah van Patten and Tiit Helimets (sp?) were wonderful. There was a 5-minute span early in the second act that rivals the best ballet I have ever seen. People around me (I think me too) were literally holding their breath. And kudos to Daniel Baker and Alana Altman. Mr Baker brought an unusual solidity to Hilarion's character, as did Ms Altman to Myrtha. In the end there were no pure villains, heroes, or victims, making the ballet even more tragic.