This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"Giselle" Libretto?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blistboy

blistboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Where and how can one go about finding an English translation of Gautier's libretto for "Giselle"? And an english translation of Henrich Heine's essay "D'allemagne"?

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hi, blistboy, and welcome to Ballet Alert!

I can't help you, but perhaps one of our experts in the art's history can point you in a productive direction.

#3 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

See Marian Smith's book, Ballet and Opera in the Age of Giselle.

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

And if you're looking for the Heine, it's "De L'Allemagne", "About Germany", part of a two-volume anthology he wrote in 1835.

#5 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:52 AM

i don't have my copy to hand, but i believe it's also included in THE BALLET CALLED 'GISELLE' by Cyril Beaumont - which has been reprinted more than once and which is also in paper, or at least was.

#6 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

i don't have my copy to hand, but i believe it's also included in THE BALLET CALLED 'GISELLE' by Cyril Beaumont - which has been reprinted more than once and which is also in paper, or at least was.

It is...

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

A sidelight on Heine's work: He wrote it in part to counterbalance a ca. 1812 book by Mme. de StaŽl (same title) which he found too old-fashioned and sentimental. Don't get stuck looking for that earlier book.

#8 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,709 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

A sidelight on Heine's work: He wrote it in part to counterbalance a ca. 1812 book by Mme. de StaŽl (same title) which he found too old-fashioned and sentimental. Don't get stuck looking for that earlier book.

You know, it's such a treat to learn that there's another source out there, and that you *don't* have to dig it out!

#9 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

The problem with the de StaŽl is that it contains nothing at all about Wilis!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):