This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"Giselle" Libretto?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blistboy

blistboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Where and how can one go about finding an English translation of Gautier's libretto for "Giselle"? And an english translation of Henrich Heine's essay "D'allemagne"?

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hi, blistboy, and welcome to Ballet Alert!

I can't help you, but perhaps one of our experts in the art's history can point you in a productive direction.

#3 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

See Marian Smith's book, Ballet and Opera in the Age of Giselle.

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

And if you're looking for the Heine, it's "De L'Allemagne", "About Germany", part of a two-volume anthology he wrote in 1835.

#5 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:52 AM

i don't have my copy to hand, but i believe it's also included in THE BALLET CALLED 'GISELLE' by Cyril Beaumont - which has been reprinted more than once and which is also in paper, or at least was.

#6 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

i don't have my copy to hand, but i believe it's also included in THE BALLET CALLED 'GISELLE' by Cyril Beaumont - which has been reprinted more than once and which is also in paper, or at least was.

It is...

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

A sidelight on Heine's work: He wrote it in part to counterbalance a ca. 1812 book by Mme. de StaŽl (same title) which he found too old-fashioned and sentimental. Don't get stuck looking for that earlier book.

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

A sidelight on Heine's work: He wrote it in part to counterbalance a ca. 1812 book by Mme. de StaŽl (same title) which he found too old-fashioned and sentimental. Don't get stuck looking for that earlier book.

You know, it's such a treat to learn that there's another source out there, and that you *don't* have to dig it out!

#9 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

The problem with the de StaŽl is that it contains nothing at all about Wilis!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):