16 replies to this topic

#16 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 May 2001 - 07:40 AM

I think Makarova was wonderful, particularly in the second act, where she used her incomparable balances to create a truly weightless and ethereal Giselle -- great technique at the service of great artistry.

I've seen a few Giselles over the years I'd consider great, too, or at least touched with greatness. In recent years, Viviana Durante and Diana Vishneva have been stunning, particularly in the second act (let's face it, the second act is the heart of this ballet). Alonso was well past her prime when I saw her dance it with ABT and the National Ballet of Cuba, but even so she gave a fascinating look into an earlier interpretation.

But of all the Giselles I've seen, Gelsey Kirkland's, when she was at the top of her form, was simply incomparable. And, yes, there's a film of her Giselle, blurry, hacked together and with a piano score dubbed in decades later. You can see it at the Dance Collection in NYC, and it's well worth a look or three.

#17 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 May 2001 - 07:45 AM

Albrechts? Barysnikov, Ivan Nagy, Peter Shaufuss (he did one with Makarova I'll never forget), Helgi Tomasson (I saw him do one in a tiny high-school auditorium in NJ).

I'd second Malakhov as a great Albrecht today. And I'm rather fond of Corella, except, gosh darn it, he's just too nice sometimes.

A recent video of a rather odd Danish documentary on a Royal Danish Ballet production of Giselle showed a section where Henning Kronstam did Albrecht's role in the Act 1 pas d'action (you know, sitting on the stool, the daisies, etc.). He had a commanding presence, and not charming or ingratiating at all, and there was something very virile and not exactly nice in the way he bent Giselle to his will. He's supposed to have been a great Albrecht, and this bit of mime left me convinced he must have been.

Oh, I bet Youskevitch was a treat, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):