• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

Obrastzova's April 23 O/O debut is sold out.

http://www.stanmus.c...l?Month=2011-04

http://www.ticketlan...?id=3619&view=1

Yes, I noticed that when I tried to book. :crying:

Maybe a hotel concierge can find alternatives? :dunno:

Oh no - what torture to be in town and not be able to see Obraztsova's debut. I'm sure you'll find a way. Do they sell returns on the day of the performance?

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:05 AM

NY Susan, not to worry. Tickets are available on the street, usually at much lower price, half an hour or so before the performance. That's my 'Plan B.' Important to take ca$h...

#18 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

I hope those who can go let us know how it goes!! :)

#19 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

A video of her Odile has appeared on Youtube! :)

#20 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for that! I never would have found it on my own... I hope her Odette gets on to youtube as well. Waiting for it to load so I can watch! :clapping:

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

Thank you so much for this :flowers: :flowers:

Obratzova has wonderful detail in her hands, expression, and timing. Her gifts were clear in the "Ballerina" film, when she was just a second year. There is something so finished and complete about her dancing. How I wish I could have been there!

I really like Chudin as well. He has lovely free leg position in his pirouettes and lovely ballon. I love how in his variation he is dancing for her, not just an academic or show-off exercise, and it's so full of surrender. I also love how the nationals swirl around Odette and Siegfried, like the swans will in the next act.

#22 Angelique

Angelique

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:12 PM

Sorry for not sharing your enthusiasm, guys. I have watched the video most carefully: Obraztsova's arms are floppy, shoulders drooping and the pirouettes are positively epileptic. Not awful, of course, but hardly a revelation I was hoping for. Semen Chudin, on the other hand, is a pleasant surprise.

PS. of course, this is only my impression and I hope it is OK to express one (?)

#23 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

Semen Chudin, on the other hand, is a pleasant surprise.

I take it Chudin is the Siegfried? Actually I found his habit of flinging his head backwards for emphasis got old pretty quickly. It seemed like an instant mannerism.

Actually, I thought he was even floppier and more brittle than Obraztsova.

#24 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,160 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

The choreography and staging of Odile and Siegfried variations is getting more and more liberal every time... :wallbash:

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

PS. of course, this is only my impression and I hope it is OK to express one (?)

Opinions and impressions are fine, when they are backed up; you described what you saw, even if others of us saw the performance differently.

It's agendas that are not.

#26 Angelique

Angelique

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

Opinions and impressions are fine, when they are backed up; you described what you saw, even if others of us saw the performance differently.

It's agendas that are not.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Helene. Agendas, whether they aim to elevate or down trod a dancer, should have no place on a dance forum.

Having said that, I saw what I saw on the video introduced. Perhaps, Evgenia is better as Odette. I am looking forward to her Odette video with untainted opinion and uncorrupted heart.

I apologie once again that my impression doesn’t align with your own.

#27 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

I'm with you, Jayne -- i see Kirkland and Hepburn in her -- they all three made me want to protect them, as if they were real to me and I TO THEM.... yes, of course, "that way madness lies,' but that is in fact the way artists affect me, as if they were not only in my world but making my world for me.... Obrasztova is one of those performers that God makes you care about.... I don't really believe in God, but I don't know any other way of saying it...

#28 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

Cristian, this looks like Bourmeister's choreography, which the Stanislavsky Ballet has been dancing for quite some time. They brought it here to San Francisco about 10 years ago, and most of us agreed that it is a coherent, powerful version of the ballet, quite different from the classic version the Royal Ballet dances, rather lurid but internally consistent. More recent versions like ABT's clearly owe a LOT to the Stanislavsky version -- especially in their versions of Rothbart ("Swamp thing"), without having the solid deep theatrical structure that Bourmeister's does....

Clips of Roberto Bolle in Swan Lake make it look like La Scala does Bourmeister's version as well. There's a very good first act.

#29 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

This was fun to watch. I thought Obratsova's tutu made her pirouettes look floppier than they would otherwise look with a smaller, stiffer tutu. Chunin looked like he was flinging his head back to get his hair out of his face. Rather distracting. The set decor and corps look sumptuous in their tudor-esque costumes, especially the headgear.

Did you notice the dropped / flung tambourine?

#30 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:56 AM

Obraztsova is an extraordinarily beautiful Odile, as we rarely see nowadays. I had tears simply watching, she is so exquisite. As if a treasure from the past has been recovered. Thank you, Genya...and her coach, Stanislavsky prima of the 1960s & Pavlova Prize winner, Margarita Drozdova. :flowers:

Obraztsova and Kondaurova - two extraordinary (yet different) -- Odette-Odiles of our time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):