This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Obraztsova - Odette/Odile Debut

I didn't have Somova in mind when I was thinking of dancers breaking conventions while contributing to the artform

No, it's I who have Somova in mind when thinking about breaking conventions and extending chorographical language and its means of expression.

Leaving Somova and Novikova aside, Evgenia remains a dancer of limited diapason and not necessarily due to lack of opportunities or even her height or lack of, if you will. Her Kitri is reminiscent of her Juliet and Juliet of her Giselle. No matter what the role, Obraztsova remains her sweet self, someone whom one wants to hug and protect. Plausible quality, granted, but hardly the one that challenges conventions and breaks boundaries. I don’t want to see any dancer criticized unnecessarily, but neither am I inclined to see qualities in one where no such qualities are apparent.

As for your off topic mentionings, one doesn’t need to go to youtube for meaniness. Just browse Mariinsky thread here and you will see that sparing dancers’ feelings has not been its dominant theme by any stretch of imagination. Quite the contrary, they don’t pull punches, so to say.

Off topic: what does 'diapason' mean? :angel_not: I can see generally what it means from te context, but an exact explanation would be nice - Google wasn't of much help (ok, literally it means 'tuning fork', but I don't really see how that fits here). Thank you :)

Off topic: what does 'diapason' mean? :angel_not: I can see generally what it means from te context, but an exact explanation would be nice - Google wasn't of much help (ok, literally it means 'tuning fork', but I don't really see how that fits here). Thank you :)

I think they mean limited range --

"The entire compass of tones; the entire compass of tones of a voice or an instrument. [1913 Webster]" Link

If in some quarters Obraztsova's range is considered limited, might that not be down to the Kirov failing to recognize the true scope of her talent?

Obraztsova is well on the way to achieving the kind of international reputation that is the prerogative of the great ballerina and is now a much sought after addition to gala programmes throughout the world and is one of only two Kirov dancers to have appeared as a guest artist with the Royal Ballet, the other, Osmolkina, also suffers from lack of recognition within her own company; how odd that the two considered to have the ability to seamlessly adapt to an unfamiliar company are two of the least favoured at home.

Obraztsova will be dancing again in London later this weekend, she is very popular here and I can guarantee that many of those in the audience will be there specifically to see her.

Regarding Somova, I think the term mono-faceted would sum her up best.

I think they mean limited range --

"The entire compass of tones; the entire compass of tones of a voice or an instrument. [1913 Webster]" Link

Thank you for having clarified the concept for Lidewij. There is one thing I would like to add, though: my opinion is just that - singular form. I have no business dealings with any ballet company, nor am I in contact with any dancer.