This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Avi Scher 2nd Season w/Korbes, Orza, Sylve, T.Angle,

Avi Scher will have a great cast for his three-work second season, which will run 23-25 April at the Ailey Citigroup Theater:

Carla Korbes and Seth Orza (PNB)

Tyler Angle, Ana Sophia Scheller, Savanna Lowery (NYCB)

Sofiane Sylve (SFB)

Four dancers from ABT (not named in this article or on his website as of today)

Janie Taylor will design costumes for "Mirrors" with Korbes, Orza, and the four ABT dancers. Sylve, Angle, Scheller, Lowery, Korbes, and Orza will perform "DreamScapes". A third program is TBA.

Saturday and Monday performances are at 8pm; Sunday's is at 3pm. Tickets are $25 and go on sale 23 February.

From today's email, the rest if the cast is set:

With 5 world class guest principal dancers:

- Tyler Angle (NYCB), Misa Kuranaga (Boston Ballet), Carla Korbes, Seth Orza (PNB) and Sofiane Sylve (SFB).

And 5 guest soloists:

- Craig Salstein (ABT), Joseph Gatti (Boston Ballet), Francis Veyette (PA Ballet), Savannah Lowery and Ana Sophia Scheller (NYCB)

and, Lauren Fadeley (PA Ballet) Nicole Graniero (ABT).

freelance dancers: Deborah Wingert, Joel Prouty, Laura Feig, Elizabeth Claire Walker, Chaz Meszaros, Peter Snow, Lauren Stewart, Nancy Richer, Jennifer Goodman, Madeline Davenport, Monica Stephenson, Victoria North, Kelsey Coventry, and children from Manhattan Youth Ballet. Pianists David LaMarche and Benjamin Bradham, costumes by Janie Taylor, David Quinn and Reid Bartelme, with lighting by Seth Bernstein.

I'm not sure how much more Claudia La Rocco could have slammed this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/arts/dance/sofiane-sylve-avi-scher-and-dancers-review.html?_r=1

When I first saw the quote, "How can you justify putting a dancer like Ms. Körbes, of Pacific Northwest Ballet, in such pretty drivel?" in a Google alert, and that it was in the New York Times, I assumed the review had been written by Alastair Macaulay, and was waiting for a lynch mob.

I don't think this will hurt Scher, because he seems to have a loyal audience and dancers really want to work with him, but this was the most directly harsh review of a program that I've read in a long time.

I saw his program last year and this was an improvement but... He doesn't have much or maybe anything to say that hasn't been said by others and said better. He does have the gift of making dancers look good and I thought Korbes looked good but she gave more to him than he to her. He's young and the problem with choreography is that you have to have your learning experiences in public. So hopefully he will continue to develop and gain a more original point of view.

I'm not sure how much more Claudia La Rocco could have slammed this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/arts/dance/sofiane-sylve-avi-scher-and-dancers-review.html?_r=1

When I first saw the quote, "How can you justify putting a dancer like Ms. Körbes, of Pacific Northwest Ballet, in such pretty drivel?" in a Google alert, and that it was in the New York Times, I assumed the review had been written by Alastair Macaulay, and was waiting for a lynch mob.

I don't think this will hurt Scher, because he seems to have a loyal audience and dancers really want to work with him, but this was the most directly harsh review of a program that I've read in a long time.

The review was harshly critical, but I have to admit I agree. I was there last year and went to this year's Sun. matinee. My reason for going was to see the dancers. I didn't expect much of the choreography. I got just what I expected and was not disappointed - a rare chance to see Sylvie, Korbes and Orza. A chance to see Lowery, Scheller and Angle up close and, for me, a first look at Kuranaga. It was worth the price of admission to see those dancers and Kuranaga's combination of fluidity and arrow like attack was a treat to behold.

I don't hold out much hope for Scher's choreography. Before the performance started, he gave a short speech in which he stated his goal was to show great dancers, in an intimate setting for affordable prices. Perhaps he should include other choreographers in his productions.

I wish Janie Taylor all the best as a costume designer, but while I shouldn't judge from just a photograph, that ensemble Korbes is wearing in Mirrors is frightful. She almost looks tattooed. Someone tell me it was better onstage.