This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Villella's staging of Diane & Actaeon PDD

Back when I read VIllella's autobiography, I was intrigued when finding that he had danced a version of Vaganova's PDD-(which I believed said to had been staged by Balanchine)-, and intended to open a thread asking about it. I forgot the whole thing until leibling-( :thanks: )-answer my question on the matters after my recently encounter with the choreography in MCB Program II, apparently a last minute addition.

Weird thing is, the Trust website doesn't list it, and this is a COMPLETELY different choreography from that of Vaganova. My guess is that Villella himself staged it-(Maybe McBride also came over to help...?, I don't know)-but I 'm curious to know if this PDD rings a bell on you guys, and if it is currently performed in City Ballet or anywhere else.

Thanks in advance! :tiphat:

Balanchine never staged a "Diana and Actaeon". I believe that the version that Villella did was his own, dating from the time when he headed a splinter performing group made up of City Ballet dancers. (what, about 1968-9?) It was freely lifted from the version seen on Bolshoi Highlights programs.

Balanchine never staged a "Diana and Actaeon".

I just located Villella's book. In p.155 he states:

"Balanchine himself choreographed a pas de deux, Diana and Actaeon, for Patty-(McBride)-and me to perform on the "Ed Sullivan Show", which I recently restaged for my own company in Miami".

Ok...so I guess I'm witnessing one rare-to-find Balanchine ballet...? :)

If Balanchine were involved at all, it was more in the nature of editor. Villella did the choreography, and had a rehearsal or two with Balanchine, who did a "Uh-huh, that's good, fix that, less here, more there" kind of supervision. It wasn't echt Balanchine by a long shot. I remember attending a performance by Villella and his company, and the work was on there, but credit was entirely to Villella.

If Balanchine were involved at all, it was more in the nature of editor. Villella did the choreography, and had a rehearsal or two with Balanchine, who did a "Uh-huh, that's good, fix that, less here, more there" kind of supervision.

Interesting. Villella was then extremely humble when writing his memoirs, for which in them he credited the whole choreography to Balanchine.

If Balanchine were involved at all, it was more in the nature of editor. Villella did the choreography, and had a rehearsal or two with Balanchine, who did a "Uh-huh, that's good, fix that, less here, more there" kind of supervision. It wasn't echt Balanchine by a long shot. I remember attending a performance by Villella and his company, and the work was on there, but credit was entirely to Villella.

The Balanchine catalogue online at balanchine.org says this about Diana and Actaeon:

363. DIANA AND ACTAEON PAS DE DEUX

Made for Television

Music: By Cesare Pugni [? ]

Choreography: By George Balanchine after Petipa (Le Roi Candaule)

Cast: Patricia McBride, Edward Villella.

First Telecast: June 2, 1968, Ed Sullivan Show, CBS.

Note: Petipa's dance, inserted into Le Roi Candaule sometime after its premiere in 1868, was a pas de trois, which Balanchine may have performed (see ROLES PERFORMED BY BALANCHINE, Love of Diana, 1922). In 1935, Agrippina Vaganova reworked Diana and Actaeon as a pas de deux, and in this form it has been frequently danced by Soviet and Russian dancers ever since. Balanchine may well have been familiar with both versions.

The Balanchine catalogue online at balanchine.org says this about Diana and Actaeon:

Choreography: By George Balanchine after Petipa (Le Roi Candaule)

:thanks: I'm all clear now. The title of the thread stays. :tiphat:

I wonder if City Ballet has it in its repertoire...? Or Farrell's company...? Is anyone familiar with B's take on Vaganova...?