This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New "Balanchine Ballets" CD

This just caught my eye in Amazon. It's a 2-disc compilation of previously-existing recordings by various performers, all of them good to great, of the music for several Balanchine ballets, and it appears somebody at EMI really took care to alter the order of the tracks (they were not originally recorded this way) so it exactly matches the scores for the ballets.

Disc 1

Jewels, complete and whole, hooray! I believe this is a first! The selections for Emeralds are in ballet order (as far as I know for the only time since Robert Irving's recording), and Tchaikovsky's Third Symphony is shorn of its first movement, just as in Diamonds.

Disc 2

Serenade, with the finale and slow movement reversed, as in the ballet (Robert Irving also does this)

Allegro brillante

Symphony in C (in Sir Thomas Beecham's superlative performance).

It's due for release on January 11, and is currently priced at $13.73. Here's the link for ordering via Ballet Alert; or just paste B0046CUJI6 into the Amazon search box located in the top banner of this page.

Anthony