This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

London Casting

The updated complete casting for the London season is in the ABT website. Lots of debuts by upcoming members of the corps de ballet including Underwood, Hammoudi,De long , Doble, Boyston. :clapping: :clapping: Too bad we will not see them at the Met in the spring :crying:

The updated complete casting for the London season is in the ABT website. Lots of debuts by upcoming members of the corps de ballet including Underwood, Hammoudi,De long , Doble, Boyston. :clapping: :clapping: Too bad we will not see them at the Met in the spring :crying:

The London programs look good to me; although I just saw Seven Sonatas/Everything/Company B at NJPAC in November.

I for one am disappointed that Sarah Lane isn't featured more. ABT casting is all over the place in some respects. I can't see any sense to it in terms of development of the women. Copeland gets something, Boylsten (forgive sp) gets something. Lane is used for Theme (because she can do it?} I guess I just don't understand casting at ABT. NYCB is a easier to figure out!!

I for one am disappointed that Sarah Lane isn't featured more. ABT casting is all over the place in some respects. I can't see any sense to it in terms of development of the women. Copeland gets something, Boylsten (forgive sp) gets something. Lane is used for Theme (because she can do it?} I guess I just don't understand casting at ABT.

Casting of women , anyway. It seems the women's roster at the principal level is , oh, I don't know what term to use, "uneven" ? "problematic"? And ABT is looking to strengthen it by use of guest stars, particularly for the all important Met season.

Counting Vishneva as a kind of "guest with an ongoing relationship", there are 4 guest women in this Spring's season.

I'm not complaining, the opportunities to see dancers from other companies and cultures is wonderful, but it doesn't do a lot for the permanent female roster. I really would love to see some of the women develop and blossom from the soloist and corps level. As it stands now , ABT is becoming two companies, the one that appears at the Met and the one that appears at all the other venues.

I think maybe the issue is that of charisma which isn't something easily developed. The guest dancers clearly have it (Vishneva, Osipova, and Cojocaru are all magnetic performers although the male "guest" Bolle really isn't, but he's very tall and strong and Gomes can't do ALL the heavy lifting) but it's a bit questionable if some of the really promising women such as Lane, Copeland, etc have that quality. But it would seem to me to be a good idea to at least investigate it more regularly.

And ABT has to sell tickets. In a way it's hard to fault them for not using the "biggest" names available at important venues such as London, Moscow, Los Angeles, Tokyo there may even be contractual arrangements with the local producers spelling this out. But both Lane and Kajiya did get cast in London T&V so it's not like ABT is doing nothing.

This is another reason I miss the fall City Center seasons. ABT seems more willing to sell repertory there as well as stars and offers a bit more opportunities for dancers coming up in the ranks.