• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#46 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:06 PM

DO videos of Cojocaru's Giselles with Johann Kobborg and Manuel Legris exist for sale? there are clips all over youtube of some of the most extraordinary danicng I've ever seen in these roles, sincere, ethereal, ravishingly imaginative dancing. THey must be segents of videos, HUH?

#47 chrisk217

chrisk217

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:41 AM

DO videos of Cojocaru's Giselles with Johann Kobborg and Manuel Legris exist for sale? there are clips all over youtube of some of the most extraordinary danicng I've ever seen in these roles, sincere, ethereal, ravishingly imaginative dancing. THey must be segents of videos, HUH?

Cojocaru has been filmed with Kobborg and the film was broadcasted last November in the UK by the BBC. Since the Royal Opera House has acquired Opus Arte there is definite hope that it will be on DVD and for sale soon.

She has also recently been filmed for the Japanese TV with Legris and the Tokyo Ballet. I'm not sure if this has a chance to be released on DVD since there is already the Tokyo Ballet Giselle DVD with Vishneva and Malakhov.

I went over at youtube and looked at the Cojocaru/Legris videos you mention. Most are not from the japanese tv film. The production around them seems to be the Parisian one and Legris seems a bit younger in them.

#48 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:20 AM

Let's not forget the Ferri/Murru Giselle. Too bad it's OOP but can be found on berkshirerecordoutlet or used. Ferri is lovely, lyrical, and the production is very pretty.

#49 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

DO videos of Cojocaru's Giselles with Johann Kobborg (...) exist for sale?

I know!...I absolutely love their Giselle clips...She's the most ethereal being that i've ever seen. Actually, they were my "romantic ballets" pick in that other thread about couples and styles... :)

#50 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

Let's not forget the Ferri/Murru Giselle. Too bad it's OOP but can be found on berkshirerecordoutlet or used. Ferri is lovely, lyrical, and the production is very pretty.

The berkshirerecordoutlet DVD is a pirate, isn't it? For quality's sake I imagine the Image Entertainment disc is preferable. I did manage to get a still-packaged disc of the Ferri/Murru for my sister some six months ago, but the supply seems to have dried up since then, and the used copies out there are selling at astronomical prices. I hope it's reissued soon because the Zakharova/Bolle La Scala performance is so awful that I can't even bear to think about it.

Incidentally, if wouldn't be my first choice, but if anyone is in the market for the Peter Wright production for the National Ballet of Canada, with Karen Kain and Frank Augustyn, buy it via Canadian Amazon rather than Amazon.com. The VAI disc of Giselle sells for some $30 on Amazon.com, but on Amazon.ca you can get a double bill of Giselle and the condensed Sleeping Beauty with Veronica Tennant and Rudolf Nureyev for $20 CAD.

http://www.amazon.ca.../dp/B0000CA1F5/

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00022LJ38/
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00022LJ2Y/

#51 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

Natalia:

I searched amazon.com but could not find that announcement.

Finally, the Alonso/Vasiliev "Giselle" DVD is out in Amazon! :bow:

http://www.amazon.co...e alicia alonso

#52 agnes

agnes

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:21 AM

I just purchased this DVD from Amazon because it was well reviewed by all four users. And, it ostensibly stayed faithful to the original theme while placing the scene in the context of 1841 Louisiana, at the height of American slavery in the South. So I hope that the performance doesn't disappoint.

DVD: Dance Theater of Harlem : Creole Giselle (Virginia Johnson, Eddie Shellman...)

#53 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:34 PM

I just purchased this DVD from Amazon because it was well reviewed by all four users. And, it ostensibly stayed faithful to the original theme while placing the scene in the context of 1841 Louisiana, at the height of American slavery in the South. So I hope that the performance doesn't disappoint.

DVD: Dance Theater of Harlem : Creole Giselle (Virginia Johnson, Eddie Shellman...)

Agnes, I have very fond memories of this production and the moving way the story was told. I hope share your thoughts with us after you've viewed it, because I've been wondering whether I should add it to my collection.

#54 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Agnes, I have very fond memories of this production and the moving way the story was told. I hope share your thoughts with us after you've viewed it, because I've been wondering whether I should add it to my collection.

#55 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

#56 agnes

agnes

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

Bart, if you added Creole Giselle to your collection, you will not be disappointed. I am still watching it, and I had to pause it lest I miss a single step.

Beautifully danced by black dancers (a refreshing change from the regular staple of Caucasian dancers). The dancers lyrically emoted their thoughts and feelings; I didn't see a single 'dancing stiff' in that production. Multiple cameras were used to capture correctly the movements from the best angles, so that the viewer feels as if they were sitting front-and-center the entire time. The stage props truly framed the context of a deep South black peasant community. Definitely pre-Civil War when there were already free blacks who had their own black servants and class strata. Did I mention that the Peasant Pas de Deux was one of the high points of this ballet? (hmm, i recall that some versions of Giselle apparently dropped this chapter. I wonder why? :angel_not: )

Not to bore you with all the technical minutiae, but if I only have two words for you, they are: BUY IT.

The DVD version was well received by Amazon customers, and I agree with them. This by far, is the best camera-captured ballet I've watched; it's like watching any TV drama, and all the right shots and angles are there to be enjoyed.

#57 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

Natalia:

I searched amazon.com but could not find that announcement.

Finally, the Alonso/Vasiliev "Giselle" DVD is out in Amazon! :yahoo:

http://www.amazon.co...e alicia alonso

BTW, i forgot to mention that for this one time only partnership, Mme. Alonso :bow: was personally coached by Anton Dolin :bow: , and Vladimir Vasiliev :bow: by Mme. Galina Ulanova :bow:

#58 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

um, that would be VLADIMIR vasiliev. ivan v. is the recently prominent vasiliev - now only about, 19(?) years old...

#59 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

um, that would be VLADIMIR vasiliev. ivan v. is the recently prominent vasiliev - now only about, 19(?) years old...

Oops!...Vladimir...sorry, i edited my post already...I was just watching a clip of Ivan while writing the Giselle post, and their first names got mixed up in my mind.... :yahoo:
BTW...About this version I also wanted to note two things: the emphasis made of Giselle's mother mime scene on predicting Giselle's fate, a beautiful sequence mostly omited in the most of the productions, and the inclusion of the "Peasant Pas de deux" converted into a "Pas de dix" with a full display of bravura. :bow:

#60 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

I possess an old video (much treasured) of Yekaterina Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev in Giselle. Wonderful stuff indeed - to my mind the best I have ever seen.

Hi Pamela, I'm new to this site, which is a fantastic resource. I'm looking for a very fine video of Giselle. Maximova is one of my two favorite ballerinas of all time (along with Ananiashvili). I didn't know that Maximova and Vasiliev had made a video of Giselle. Have you any idea how I might go about getting a copy? Angelica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):