State Ballet Theater of Russia's Swan LakeA bitter review .

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

Here's another piece of this mis-matched puzzle:

The Russian National Ballet Theater -- performing in Kalamazoo MI, with a modern version of "Romeo and Juliet" and a classical version of "Les Sylphides."

The name "Radchenko" appears again, but this time:

The Russian National Ballet is directed by Elena Radchenko, a former Bolshoi Ballet principal dancer.

Weren't we just talking about a Radchenko? Wasn't the name "Russian Classical Ballet Theater?" Wasn't the Radchenko a man?

Are there two Radchenkos?

Maybe we should draw up a little chart with all the names of the many companies touring the world that have "Russian," "Moscow," or "State" in their names, see what productions have been around, and figure this out!

Well, here's our answer: (posted today in "Recent Ballet Performances" http://balletalert.i...ballet-theatre/ by emilienne)

Russian National Ballet Theatre
Cinderella
20 January 2011, 7 PM
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
Orchestra Row T Seat 22

Music from the eponymous ballet by S Prokofieff
Choreographed by Elena and Sergei Radchenko

#17 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

Apparently this company (or some permutation of it) comes to Urbana every year as they are quite willing to work with the tiny stage provided. Last year I went to see a Radchenko 'improved' version of Sleeping Beauty (which I mercifully refrained from reviewing). While it was clear that the dancers knew what it should look like, the choreography and technical limitations prevented its full execution.

Also the garland dance was done by six men in purple cowboy hats and I shook like a silent paintmixer into my elbow to the consternation of my neighbors. -_-

#18 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

Also the garland dance was done by six men in purple cowboy hats [ ,,, ]

:rofl: Not even the Trocks could beat something like that.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:26 AM

Oh my goodness. These Radchenkos (Radchenki) are everywhere, touring all over the USA in various guises....Moscow Festival Ballet, Russian National Ballet Theater, "Stars of Bolshoi" (which is really 2 Bolshoi corps guest + stars of the Radchenko troupes), etc, etc.

In ALL cases with the Radchenko companies: "[font="Arial Black"]Buyer Beware[/font][size="5"][/size]"!

My full report on last night's "Stars of the Bolshoi" (or "2 corps + others") in Rockville, MD, is here: http://balletalert.i...948#entry282948

Maybe if the Radchenkos would pay attention to one (1) enterprise, the quality would improve. Instead, it's "ca-ching...cash register!" in every nook and cranny of America, making the non-balletomane public think that the (mostly) crap on stage is Bolshoi level!

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

Cubanmiamiboy, I quickly sought out your 'unforgettable' review of State Ballet Theater's Swan Lake, to compare it with the Radchenko version that I saw yesterday. These are different companies, I can tell from the details that you wrote and what I saw. In Radchenko, no swans 'escaped' before the usual official entrance of the swans. [However, the Radchenko is not all well either -- no Valse of the Swans, no Dance of the Big Swans and no solo for Odette!]

So now we know that there is a "Russian State Ballet Theater" (what cubanmiamiboy saw) that has nothing to do with the Radchenko enterprises "Russian National Ballet Theater" or "Moscow Festival Ballet" or "Stars of the Bolshoi."

#21 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

Oh...this is confusing...! :wacko:

#22 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Cubanmiamiboy, I think - THINK -- that this is the group that you saw in Miami:

http://www.russianmu...tate_ballet.php

"Russian State Ballet" founded by Vyacheslav Gordeev was a pretty decent group 20+ years ago. In the late-Soviet era, I remember that they gave first-employment opportunities to competition winners. The current troupe with this name is represented by "Premium Artists" of Berlin:
http://russiannationalballet.com/

The Radchenki are represented by Colombia Artists Management Inc. ("CAMI") when in the US: http://www.cami.com/?webid=418

I've also seen a "Russian State Ballet of Siberia" (from Krasnoyarsk city) that is neither Radchenko nor the above "Russian State Ballet" which tours a lot in Asia.

Definitely confusing.

#23 Edith

Edith

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

Cubanmiamiboy, I quickly sought out your 'unforgettable' review of State Ballet Theater's Swan Lake, to compare it with the Radchenko version that I saw yesterday. These are different companies, I can tell from the details that you wrote and what I saw. In Radchenko, no swans 'escaped' before the usual official entrance of the swans. [However, the Radchenko is not all well either -- no Valse of the Swans, no Dance of the Big Swans and no solo for Odette!]

Indeed! This is the same production that I saw a couple of months ago - the Russian National Ballet's "Swan Lake" - with much of Act II cut. Strange choice - if one had to cut something, I would not have thought that Odette's solo, or anything from Act II, would be the first choice. The quality of the dancing was also disappointing, emotionless and flat.

#24 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

I think I recognise some of the 'oddities' you mention from the 1957 Swan Lake DVD with Plisetskaya (I don't know whose production that is), is this possible?

#25 CubanInUSA

CubanInUSA

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

So there I was, all bitter already after almost having given up to the West Palm's trip. Getting out of Miami Beach was a nightmare...the traffic didn't move, so I told my mom that if I couldn't make it to I-95 by 6:30 pm, I would then turn around and give up-(the performance was to be at 8:00 pm, and I didn't even had tickets). So finally I'm on the highway, and by 7:50 I was already in my seat-(don't ask me at which speeding did I get there...).bart...you know about the traffic situation down here, so I'm sure you can "feel" me.. :thumbsup:
The Kravis-(love that building...way more than the Brodward Center and even more than that absurdity/monstruosity called Arsht Center)-was packed, and soon enough, the performance started.
So I'm listening to the overture-(or course, canned music...by now a too common feature in ballet performances, so nothing that I wasn't expecting)-and when the curtain rises, I'm already dreaming-(c'mon...this is Swan Lake after all!)-,but too soon, I'm afraid to report.

Act I

Act I revealed a troupe that wasn't too engaging in the dancing and an uninteresting choreography that almost put me to sleep. Of course, there was the expected jester-(is he part of the Konstantin Sergueev' legacy?)-, but to be honest, he was one the highlights of this production. Benno was there also, as the male lead on the bland Pas de Trois. There's not a lot that I can think of to make this review more interesting, for which there was NOTHING more interesting presented. Perhaps-(actually I’m positive)- this have to do with the fact of having seen probably hundreds of Swan Lakes in the course of my life span in the island, via a choreography that still retains many great chunks of the one choreographed and premiered in its four acts in Havana in as early as 1954 by Mary Skeaping-(also responsible for the even earlier Nutcracker premiere). Since then, Swan lake has been a staple of the Cuban repertoire, and along with Giselle, one that I got to see all year around, all the time, every year. The choreography of the first act's waltz is one of those chunks, in the form of a great pas de six for six couples, whith very daring lifts and a an spectacular triple fish dive-induced grand finale. So then, when I saw the Russians’ version with all those little, obscure, busy steps, I was almost in the verge of yawning. Another miss-(not the last one, and not an uncommon one in some productions I've seen)-was the unchanging light pattern for the end of Act I, where it should be suggested by darker tones that the sunset is happening, so the night-where the next act takes places-is approaching.

Act II

The lake scene backdrop was way too bright, with shades of blue for the water, nothing in the romantic line. Then Von Rothbart appeared, one sorcerer that was too small and short winged-(and with almost no makeup)-to be properly scary. Here I must say that I would definitely take The Swamp Thing at any time over this poor little bird. And THEN one of the major absurdities happened. Some swan-maidens got out! Right there, along with Rothbart's presentation, some corps girls made an impromptu appearance, which according to the choreographed moves was apparently supposed to give the audience clues as what had happenned to them in terms of being under the spell and captivity of this evil entity. The sad result was that the much anticipated and beautifully choreographed entrance of the corps of swan-maidens-(one of the few pieces of Ivanonv' choreography that seems to be respected in almost every Swan Lake on earth)-was completely diminished…its magic totally broken.

To be continued. I’m tired, but I really want to write some more, if you guys still want to read it... :thumbsup:

Thank you for a very entertaining story and review. Sorry about the disappointment. It has happened to me before also, and also with Swan Lake. I hope you find a great performance soon. Thank you for all the great videos you post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):