This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

State Ballet Theater of Russia's Swan Lake

Thanks to my local PBS station, I was just informed that there will be a performance of Swan Lake by the State Ballet Theater of Russia, tomorrow at the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach. The last time I saw the complete ballet-(Odile included)-was when the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami performed it. MCB, as we all know, bears Balanchine's compressed white act.

bart...will you go...?

http://www.kravis.org/index.cfm?&fuseaction=performances.detail&performance_id=1313

Thanks to my local PBS station, I was just informed that there will be a performance of Swan Lake by the State Ballet Theater of Russia, tomorrow at the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach. The last time I saw the complete ballet-(Odile included)-was when the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami performed it. MCB, as we all know, bears Balanchine's compressed white act.

bart...will you go...?

http://www.kravis.org/index.cfm?&fuseaction=performances.detail&performance_id=1313

the only million dollar question now is which "state ballet theater" it is, there should be a name of the city attached to it, but these provincial companies conveniently drop the city name to sound like they are "THE" State Ballet Theater. I bet this one is Voronezh one.

bart...will you go...?

the only million dollar question now is which "state ballet theater" it is, there should be a name of the city attached to it, but these provincial companies conveniently drop the city name to sound like they are "THE" State Ballet Theater. I bet this one is Voronezh one.

According to what I have read this IS the Voronezh company. Bart wrote about their touring Giselle very positively (as I remember).

I am eager to hear about this production as I just bought tickets to see it in Atlanta. I would love to read your (or anyone else's) reports on the performance Cubanmiamiboy--I suppose it is too much to hope that they tour with an orchestra.

I did discover that they are scheduled to perform as part of a Chicago festival featuring art created under the Soviets--so I am guessing that the production is an old style Soviet one -- jester! happy ending! -- but perhaps not. In any case, I am eager to hear reports...

Cristian, I'll be giving this a pass. It's a hectic time of year, with too much compressed in a few weeks. For me, at least.

The Kravis Center is acting as the presenter on this one, rather than renting out the hall, as they do with Miami City Ballet. When their own money is on the line, there is a tendency to act as though "Swan Lake were the only ballet ever created. I've seen a number of different Swan Lakes almost every year over the past 10 years -- one quite good, a couple so so so, and one rather bad.

They do sell very well. Tomorrow's performance is almost sold out.

If you go, I hope it's the BEST Swan Lake the Kravis has ever presented. And, if it is,please tell us about it so that I can kick myself -- or :wallbash: -- for missing it.

Details, Cristian, PLEASE. After my shock at the touring Russian Nutcracker last year. ("HUH?" was part of my reaction, posted here on BA.), I think we need to know more. For many audiences in the provinces (as south Florida is, when it comes to classical dance), this sort of thing may be their only experience of the truly great works of classical ballet. If they (we) are getting an inferior version, we need to speak up. Otherwise it will just go on and on .... and on. :beg:

Details, Cristian, PLEASE. After my shock at the touring Russian Nutcracker last year. ("HUH?" was part of my reaction, posted here on BA.), I think we need to know more. For many audiences in the provinces (as south Florida is, when it comes to classical dance), this sort of thing may be their only experience of the truly great works of classical ballet. If they (we) are getting an inferior version, we need to speak up. Otherwise it will just go on and on .... and on. :beg:

I also would appreciate details so I can prepare myself.