This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Giselle Question #2: What exactly do you have to do to get to be a Wi

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:34 PM

This goes back, back, to the formation of the libretto, where Gautier thought it would be good to have the ballet begin in an enchanted ballroom where Giselle is doomed to die by dancing under a spell. After he talked it over a little with Vernoy de St. Georges and Nourrit, he thought it would be better to have it the Titled-bounder-toys-with-fragile-country-maiden story and things have worked better that way.

#32 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:40 PM

thanks mel. i am not pressing you to head to your library, but i am just curious, if you remember where you read this - possibly beaumont's book 'the ballet called giselle' (which i could look up myself!!), or somewhere else? i have just always loved giselle, so all this poetic Romantic trivia is of some interest to me.

#33 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:47 PM

Actually, it's in Marian Smith's excellent Ballet and Opera in the Time of Giselle, quoted in toto there on pp. 172-5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):