This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Frequency in books of the use of the word ballet

I guessed it, actually. I don't want to be a spoiler, so I'll only say "that period" wasva high point for ballet. There were many articles written that ballet had "triumphed," that modern dance had faded from the scene, had been replaced by ballet, etc. (Why oh why does it have to be either/or???)

Thanks, innopac, for this intriguing link.

I don't want to be a spoiler either. So ... hear comes a clumsy circumlocution:

My search for "ballet" produced a graph with two peaks. The earlier peak was higher than the later peak.

I was surprised by the period separating the peaks -- two decades that look like a valley on the graph.

I would have thought that those two decades were a high point. But that may reflect my narrow Balanchine perspective.

Just what I need -- another internet time eater!

This is fascinating. It indicates (here) that for the first half of the 20th Century, there was more Abe Lincoln than Thomas Jefferson. Not surprising. But they seemed to tie briefly in the mid '50s until 1960, when Jefferson actually overtook Lincoln. Permanently (so far). That surprises me.