This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Film Awards Season - 2010-2011"Black Swan" and other contenders

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#16 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Doesn't every mother want to hear her daughter gush to 17 million people how much her unwed pregnant daughter and her fiance love sleeping together? Not.

I don't see the problem. Why wouldn't a mother want to hear about her grandchild, and that her daughter is excited about finding a life partner? Check the calendar...........last time I looked it is the 21st century.

#17 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

Doesn't every mother want to hear her daughter gush to 17 million people how much her unwed pregnant daughter and her fiance love sleeping together? Not.

I don't see the problem. Why wouldn't a mother want to hear about her grandchild, and that her daughter is excited about finding a life partner? Check the calendar...........last time I looked it is the 21st century.

Yes, she is 29 years old and supports herself. What is the problem?

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

It is a question of propriety, I suppose, admittedly an old-fashioned word for an old-fashioned concept. Portman's personal life and choices are one thing and entirely her own business. An unwed mother announcing tongue-in-cheek while accepting an award for professional achievement on national television that her lover likes to sleep with her is, well, another. I have no idea what Portman's parents think but I know what mine would.

Catherine Zeta-Jones made a similar highly personal announcement at the Tony ceremony concerning her own marital relations, and the fact that she's married didn't make it any less embarrassing. But that's showbiz and truth to tell, if everyone was as tasteful as Colin Firth, occasions like the Golden Globes would be even duller than they often are. Party on, good people of Hollywood, and tell us all you want in your speeches.

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

Speaking of inappropriate speeches - Robert De Niro's probably took the prize. Not thanking his hosts was the least of it.

#20 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

"I am the beautiful reflection/Of my love's affection/A walking illustration/Of his...adoration...."

Oh, it's been ages since I heard this -- thank you so, so much!

#21 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

Worst Dressed Woman: ...Julianne Moore (Usually she's great but her dress last night was weird and it looked like it was eating her alive...

http://www.redcarpet...n-globe-awards/

But she forgot something...

http://www.curtainsa...acks/cerise.jpg

:P

The color of her dress actually looks a lot better on the red carpet than it did on the stage. You've got to be careful with these dresses. Sometimes a color that looks good on you in natural lighting looks hideous on you under stage lights.

I still don't understand the sleeve on her left shoulder. It looks like a fungus.

In regard to inappropriate speeches at the Globes, that's probably their best-selling point. Globes night is the one night of the year when you can hear celebrities relatively unvarnished and see them free from the mediating influence of publicists.

#22 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

It is a question of propriety, I suppose, admittedly an old-fashioned word for an old-fashioned concept.

If I accept the argument of "propriety", then I guess I could declare the greatest (perhaps) book of American poetry ever written "Leaves of Grass" by the greatest (perhaps) 19th century American poet, Walt Whitman, as interesting but lacking propriety.

#23 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

It's a free country, Sandy, so you certainly can. :) I think what I meant by the word is clear in context.

#24 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

I still don't understand the sleeve on her left shoulder. It looks like a fungus.

:rofl:

#25 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

It's a free country, Sandy, so you certainly can. :)

Perhaps not as free as you might hope.

Walt Whitman was fired from his Dept of Interior job by Secretary of the Interior James Harlan immediately after the publication of "Leaves of Grass". Harlan read it and said he found it very offensive. I presume Harlan also thought Whitman lacked the propriety required to keep his job.

#26 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

"I am the beautiful reflection/Of my love's affection/A walking illustration/Of his...adoration...."

Oh, it's been ages since I heard this -- thank you so, so much!

You're welcome. :) It's still a funny number after all these years.

#27 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

Yes her speech contained too much information. Doesn't every mother want to hear her daughter gush to 17 million people how much her unwed pregnant daughter and her fiance love sleeping together? Not.

Considering Miss Portman is very, very visibly pregnant at this point (in case anyone missed the press release which was carried by all the major news outlets), I think it's pretty obvious. Actually, although not the most decorous thing to do, it may have actually been a smart move on her part. I've always thought she had a fairly remote screen personality (probably not helped by the fact that she was buried under pounds and pounds of costuming and make-up for the Star Wars prequels). She has a new movie coming out with Ashton Kutcher which features their characters have lots and lots of sex, so I think the outburst actually has made her much more approachable and perhaps much more believable in the context of her new sex comedy rather than her persona of "Natalie Portman who went to Harvard and who is so much better than you."

#28 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

#29 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

Yes, she is 29 years old and supports herself. What is the problem?

Some people have different mores. That's all.

#30 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

The BAFTA award nominations were announced today. The leader in nominations was The King's Speech. Black Swan received the second most nominations, including for Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actress for Portman and Best Supporting Actress for Barbara Hershey. (Mila was shut out.) The ceremony is on Feb 13, 2011. I've watched it on the BBC America channel the last two years. I assume it will be carried again this year on that station.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):