This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Movie awards time is upon us. I thought I'd open this topic to present news & comments on The Black Swan and potential awards. It doesn't happen too often with a ballet film; last time was 1977-The Turning Point and, before that, 1948-The Red Shoes.

First up, the Golden Globe nominations, announced today.Congratulations to THE BLACK SWAN for garnering four important nominations:

BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA: BLACK SWAN

(along with The Fighter, Inception, The King's Speech and The Social Network)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA: NATALIE PORTMAN BLACK SWAN

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE: MILA KUNIS BLACK SWAN

BEST DIRECTOR – MOTION PICTURE: DARREN ARONOFSKY BLACK SWAN

http://www.goldenglo...ds-nominations/

The awards ceremony will be telecast live on Sunday, January 16, at 8pm EST on NBC. Good luck to the Black Swan crew!

Thanks for posting, Natalia. We usually have a thread on movies of the season around this time of year and I hadn't gotten round to starting it, so it's appreciated. :) The Golden Globes aren't exactly prestigious and they're not particularly reliable as Oscar predictors, but the show itself tends to be good fun. Almost everybody gets an award of some kind, and the stars sit at dinner tables and get tipsy.

Dirac, this was actually meant to be ballet news because Black Swan is a film about ballet, albeit different from Red Shoes or Turning Pt. I wanted to track its progress through the various awards, leading up to Oscar, e,g, will it win more than Red Shoes' single Oscar or TP's none (despite TP garnering 11 nominations in 77/78). No biggie, though. Move if you wish!

Like a moth drawn to the flame . . . I watched!!!

I could care less about who won or lost -- I'm only in it for the stars and to see who shows up in 80 yards of fabric (that would be you, Catherine Zeta-Jones!)

I kept looking for Millipied but never spotted him. Didn't like the flower on the front of Natalie's dress -- too mother-of-the brideish. The dress would have been lovely without it.

Lots of craziness (hello Helena Bonham Carter!) on the red carpet this year. It reminded me of the glory years with Cher showing up in something outrageous and Kim Basinger making her own dress.

Did like seeing Angelina Jolie in green. Usually she shows up looking like Morticia Adams. And Brad has cleaned himself up nicely after his Grizzly Adams phase.

My picks for best and worst dressed:

Best Dressed Man: Jake Gyllenhaal (sigh) [Honorable mention: Ryan Gosling]

Best Dressed Woman: Anne Hathaway (va-va-va-voom glam)

Worst Dressed Man: (tie) Justin Bieber (Wearing sneakers), Robert Downey Jr. (Too casual looking in what looked like a business suit), Geoffrey Rush (What was with the hat? And wearing it indoors??)

Worst Dressed Woman: (tie) Leighton Meester (Too young to be wearing an old lady dress), Julianne Moore (Usually she's great but her dress last night was weird and it looked like it was eating her alive), Michelle Williams (Never understand the little girl dresses she wears)

I kept looking for Millipied but never spotted him. Didn't like the flower on the front of Natalie's dress -- too mother-of-the brideish. The dress would have been lovely without it.

Really? I repeatedly saw Millepied during the broadcast. He was seated to Portman's right at the Black Swan table. I also saw him leaving the limo with Portman when they first arrived at the Red Carpet. Mlllepied wore a black tux, and he had a red handkerchief in the breast pocket of his jacket that was the same color red as the rose on Portman's dress. Portman's parents were also in the audience (the camera focused on them during Portman's speech). Portman thanked her parents for giving her a great life, and she thanked Ben for going on the journey to create new life wtih her. She also joked that Ben is a good actor because in the film he is asked whether he would sleep with Nina, and he snickers. Portman quipped that Millepied enjoys sleeping with her every night. Portman also thanked "sweet lips" Mila Kunis.

Really? I repeatedly saw Millepied during the broadcast. He was seated to Portman's right at the Black Swan table. I also saw him leaving the limo with Portman when they first arrived at the Red Carpet. Mlllepied wore a black tux, and he had a red handkerchief in the breast pocket of his jacket that was the same color red as the rose on Portman's dress. Portman's parents were also in the audience (the camera focused on them during Portman's speech). Portman thanked her parents for giving her a great life, and she thanked Ben for going on the journey to create new life wtih her. She also joked that Ben is a good actor because in the film he is asked whether he would sleep with Nina, and he snickers. Portman quipped that Millepied enjoys sleeping with her every night. Portman also thanked "sweet lips" Mila Kunis.

Sorry but I missed him on the red carpet. Was working on my computer while the ceremony was on so the moments I was concentrating on my computer screen must have been when he was on my TV screen. (Didn't stay up to see Portman win, which is when I definitely would have spotted him.)

I also saw Millepied sitting next to Portman and the camera cut to him during her speech, which contained far too much information. ("I am the beautiful reflection/Of my love's affection/A walking illustration/Of his...adoration....")

Yes her speech contained too much information. Doesn't every mother want to hear her daughter gush to 17 million people how much her unwed pregnant daughter and her fiance love sleeping together? Not.

Doesn't every mother want to hear her daughter gush to 17 million people how much her unwed pregnant daughter and her fiance love sleeping together? Not.

I don't see the problem. Why wouldn't a mother want to hear about her grandchild, and that her daughter is excited about finding a life partner? Check the calendar...........last time I looked it is the 21st century.

Doesn't every mother want to hear her daughter gush to 17 million people how much her unwed pregnant daughter and her fiance love sleeping together? Not.

I don't see the problem. Why wouldn't a mother want to hear about her grandchild, and that her daughter is excited about finding a life partner? Check the calendar...........last time I looked it is the 21st century.

Yes, she is 29 years old and supports herself. What is the problem?

It is a question of propriety, I suppose, admittedly an old-fashioned word for an old-fashioned concept. Portman's personal life and choices are one thing and entirely her own business. An unwed mother announcing tongue-in-cheek while accepting an award for professional achievement on national television that her lover likes to sleep with her is, well, another. I have no idea what Portman's parents think but I know what mine would.

Catherine Zeta-Jones made a similar highly personal announcement at the Tony ceremony concerning her own marital relations, and the fact that she's married didn't make it any less embarrassing. But that's showbiz and truth to tell, if everyone was as tasteful as Colin Firth, occasions like the Golden Globes would be even duller than they often are. Party on, good people of Hollywood, and tell us all you want in your speeches.

Worst Dressed Woman: ...Julianne Moore (Usually she's great but her dress last night was weird and it looked like it was eating her alive...

http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2011/01/17/julianne-moore-in-lanvin-2011-golden-globe-awards/

But she forgot something...

http://www.curtainsandcurtains.com/images/P/crystal-beaded-curtain-tiebacks/cerise.jpg

:P

The color of her dress actually looks a lot better on the red carpet than it did on the stage. You've got to be careful with these dresses. Sometimes a color that looks good on you in natural lighting looks hideous on you under stage lights.

I still don't understand the sleeve on her left shoulder. It looks like a fungus.

In regard to inappropriate speeches at the Globes, that's probably their best-selling point. Globes night is the one night of the year when you can hear celebrities relatively unvarnished and see them free from the mediating influence of publicists.

It is a question of propriety, I suppose, admittedly an old-fashioned word for an old-fashioned concept.

If I accept the argument of "propriety", then I guess I could declare the greatest (perhaps) book of American poetry ever written "Leaves of Grass" by the greatest (perhaps) 19th century American poet, Walt Whitman, as interesting but lacking propriety.

It's a free country, Sandy, so you certainly can. :)

Perhaps not as free as you might hope.

Walt Whitman was fired from his Dept of Interior job by Secretary of the Interior James Harlan immediately after the publication of "Leaves of Grass". Harlan read it and said he found it very offensive. I presume Harlan also thought Whitman lacked the propriety required to keep his job.