50 replies to this topic

#16 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

I've noticed the same sort of thing since we updated and got a new "face". It must have something to do with board settings set in the Administrative Control Panel.

#17 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

Oh, and I do have evidence of threads not showing after all... I notice there was a new addition on a Ballets Russes centenary thread, something I've been very interested in, but it never appeared in my "view new content".

Amy, do you mean the "Ballets Russes Celebration" forum, or is there a topic in some other forum titled "Ballets Russes Centenary". Is that the exact name of the topic? I can't find it.

#18 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

Being a stubborn old fogey, I don't think I'll start calling threads topics.. it cuts too many ties to the past. As far as I'm concerned BalletTalk itself is a forum. But for the sake of the groceries, I'll mention that this when I checked "new content" just now, it neglected to show me that you had responded to my most recent posts... I had to take a look in this forum (subforum, catacombs?) to see if you had responded. "View new content" should have shown me that the thread/topic had been added to since my last visit...

#19 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Just out of curiosity, do you close BalletTalk when you are browsing other sites? I keep BT open at all times that I'm on the net (as I do my mail links and a small handful of other sites). Perhaps if you close the tab, it won't register "new" from the time you log off. On the other hand, I search using Today's Active Topics (and I understand why one might prefer View New Content). I have not been surprised by old posts suddenly coming to my attention for the first time.

I'm not sure deleting cookies is the best idea. If my sense of it is accurate, it would treat every visit as your first. "New Content" would go back to 2002! ::jawdrop:

#20 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:25 AM

I'm not sure deleting cookies is the best idea.

I don't think anyone is advocating that. The question was whether or not one has disabled cookies.....that is, it is possible in a browser to turn off the creation of cookies altogether which I suspect would interfer with the operation of BT. Amy correctly pointed out that if cookies are disabled, one woud likely have to logon everytime you went to the site.

BTW, I have a theory of what might be going on here.....and if I'm right, it would explain why some are seeing this and some are not. I am doing some testing to see if my new theory pans out. Stay tuned :).

#21 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:30 AM

On the other hand, I search using Today's Active Topics....

Where does one find this function. I can't find it.

#22 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:34 AM

On my screen, this appears at the very bottom of the page. (There's a black bar right under the last -- i.e. Archives -- listing in the index section.)

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put it at the top of the page, to save time scrolling etc.

A related thought -- I've noticed during the past year an increase in the number of posters (many of them infrequent posters) who seem NOT to have read earlier posts, even when these are just fairly recent. As a result, we find A saying "It was first performed in 1956" followed by B, a few posts later, saying much the same thing.

Perhaps this means that others are also being directed only to the last post and are not actually aware that there are earlier posts that they have missed.

If this is the case, it's a serious problem with the Ballet Talk discussion process. You can't discuss well if you don't even know what others have said before you.

#23 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

I've had the same problem - and thought it was just me. I've repeatably signed out and in,
cleared cache, deleted cookies, it still doesn't change. It reads the time I turn on the
computer so whole topics and posts are lost in the shuffle. I have a Mac OS6.

#24 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

On my screen, this appears at the very bottom of the page. (There's a black bar right under the last -- i.e. Archives -- listing in the index section.)

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put it at the top of the page, to save time scrolling etc.

Thank you for this. I agree that it would be much more useful at the top of the page.

#25 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

Well, today when I clicked View New Content, it showed me what had been posted since 5:22 pm... but this is the first time I've checked in on Ballettalk today. And it did NOT show me any of the posts on this topic since my last post. I wouldn't be surprised if this particular forum isn't different from the others... it's kind of an administrative forum, no?

Carbro, sometimes I leave it up, sometimes not.

Sounds like Active Topics is what I'd be interested in...

If I hit "delete my cookies" at the bottom of this page, will I have to log in again?. Am going to try it.

#26 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Ha! no... that just booted me off the forum and I had to sign in again... thought maybe it was some sort of special Ballettalk cookies (have no idea what I imagined those to be) obviously a standard cookie... but I was surprised to see it on the board rather than in my browser menu.

#27 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

I am having exactly the same problem as Amy. I also have a Mac- which is new to me, and I didn't have this problem on my other computer. What happens is that when I hit "View new content," the board will list posts made since the last time I presumedly logged in. The problem is, as Amy said, I didn't log on at the time that is given! My solution has been to "sign out" each time I leave "Ballet Talk," and that seems to help. I feel as if there is some sort of conflict between the safari browser and the Ballet Talk software.

#28 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

Amy, I've been having the same exact problem! Thank God I'm not the only one! I thought I was going crazy!
I'll click on say around 8:30 am, hit view new content and it will say "only 3 new entries since 5:10AM, or I'll try in the evening and get "2 new entries since 2:45PM. I'm not anywhere around the computer during those times!
It's seriously curtailed my viewing experience with BalletTalk. I even accused my husband of spying on what I post here.

And for what it's worth I have a Mac as well.

#29 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

I have a suggestion for those of you who suspect that "View New Content" does not show you all new posts.

Use "View New Content" as you normally do. If you think you might be missing soimething (or even if you don't think so), go back to the home page of BT, scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Today's Active Topics". See if there are posts on that screen that were not on the "View New Content" screen (I have done this a few times, and I see no difference so far). Presumably it is not possible for the "Today's Active Topics" to have missing posts.

Note to fully understand what differences you might see on these 2 screens you will have to consider the times when the posts were made. The "Today's Active Topics" screen defaults to the last 24 hours (but note you can change that to be the last week or even longer). By comparing the posts listed on the "View New Content" screen since your last visit (using the "last visit" time shown on the "View New Content" screen, not when you actually did last visit), and determinng which of those posts should be included in the "Today's Active Topics" screen given their time stamp, one should be able to figure out if indeed one is missing posts.

BTW, I am still testing a theory that would explain why some are seeing this and others may not be. It will take me a few days to complete testing since I have to allow several 24 hour periods go by in order to do the tests.

#30 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

Just keeping up a log for what it's worth...

I just clicked "View New Content" after looking at the new links a few moments ago (my first time of checking Ballettalk today)... Here's what the header said:

"There are 4 new entries since Today, 12:51 PM" [and none of them included this topic].

I probably last checked my e-mail at 12:51.. and then again about an hour ago... but 6:15 is probably when I first hit Ballettalk...

I'm going to check active topics instead... but I think the view new content issue is very weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):