This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NY Times on Ansanelli and Reyes moving to academics

Krystin

I came across this very interesting story in the NY Times this weekend: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/arts/dance/05columbia.html?_r=1&ref=dance

As a former dancer myself, I find it very interesting to see how other dancers have transitioned out of ballet. While we are all very lucky to experience whatever small amount of time we can in the dance world, there is life after the fact. It seems like Jackie Reyes from ABT and Alexandra Ansanelli are moving full steam ahead. It will be great to see where they end up after completing their studies. In my experience dancers make great students and future employees, mostly because of their strongly developed work ethics.

I came across this very interesting story in the NY Times this weekend: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/arts/dance/05columbia.html?_r=1&ref=dance

As a former dancer myself, I find it very interesting to see how other dancers have transitioned out of ballet. While we are all very lucky to experience whatever small amount of time we can in the dance world, there is life after the fact. It seems like Jackie Reyes from ABT and Alexandra Ansanelli are moving full steam ahead. It will be great to see where they end up after completing their studies. In my experience dancers make great students and future employees, mostly because of their strongly developed work ethics.

Krystin, thanks so much--I had missed this interesting story. "I just did not want to be facing this demon in my forties..." is extremely acute, rather like Ansanelli's dancing was. While her many fans and admirers miss her, it sounds as if she was absolutely correct in her decision, doesn't it? So many dancers have been to PCS, if that, or been home schooled, and are hyperconscious of the stereotype of 'beautiful and dumb' which still pervades the public view of them.

I remember every instant of an Allegro Brilliante with Ansanelli which was indeed so brilliant that I was reminded of Ashley. It wasn't just the dancing, either; it was the mind.