34 replies to this topic

#31 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

Don't know. I never saw Youskevitch dance. I did, however, see Ted Kivitt (rather a slow version) in the part, and also Peter Fonseca (speedy!) and also Baryshnikov - really the best tempo - and they all did very similar rond de jambe - piqué arabesque things, but all subtly different.

#32 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,250 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:59 AM

Don't know. I never saw Youskevitch dance.

:D . When pointing to a specific variation/role, I sometimes refer to the name of the dancer who originated it-(if I happen to know it)...you know, as a matter of tribute.

Thanks for the answer, major...! :tiphat:

#33 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

Most durable memory is the diagonal of double ronds de jambe sautés that she did in the minor period of the waltz. She also had a lot of sweep and a highly flexible torso, which she exercised to good effect in exiting.

That's my most vivid memory of Farrell's DD, too.

Isn't this the same combination of steps used for the opening of Youskevitch second variation in T&V...?

Essentially yes, but with two differences. Dewdrop piques into attitude, and the man in T&V does arabesque. Also, most of the men I've seen in T&V (both ABT and NYCB) alternate the arms in the arabesques. Dewdrop (in attitude) doesn't.

#34 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

She also had a lot of sweep and a highly flexible torso, which she exercised to good effect in exiting. My friends and I called the big windmilling arms and deep carriage of the body "The Ficker".

Nice, all of it. Thanks.

#35 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,221 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

A note from Admin, for clarification:

Links to blogs, public Facebook pages, Tweets, etc. by dance professionals, dance critics, and members of the mainstream press are valid for Ballet Alert! Links to those by fans aren't, however articulate or informative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):