This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker NYCB

Sara Mearns - wonder what Macauley would say about her? She definitely has an unorthodox build. Very womanly and curvy, and without the long stretched look of most ballerinas. Yet she also moves in such a distinct way that it's impossible not to be transported by her dancing. She sometimes almost reminds me of Galina Ulanova -- the short neck and arms, the sweetly lyrical style of dancing. Unlike many NYCB ballerinas she doesn't really punch out the steps according to the music, but instead seems to "dance through" the music, Kirov-style. She was one of the most memorable SPF's I've seen. And she handled the shoulder-lifts and balances of the grand pas de deux superbly.

In today's NY Times, Macaulay singles Mearns out as one of the highlights of 2010. He particularly noted her outstanding Swan Lake, as well as her wonderful performaces in various other ballets during 2010. He did not mention any other NYCB dancers among his highlights.

That would be me. In many ways, Dewdrop was an ideal part for her. Most durable memory is the diagonal of double ronds de jambe sautés that she did in the minor period of the waltz. She also had a lot of sweep and a highly flexible torso, which she exercised to good effect in exiting. My friends and I called the big windmilling arms and deep carriage of the body "The Ficker".

Most durable memory is the diagonal of double ronds de jambe sautés that she did in the minor period of the waltz. She also had a lot of sweep and a highly flexible torso, which she exercised to good effect in exiting.
That's my most vivid memory of Farrell's DD, too.
Isn't this the same combination of steps used for the opening of Youskevitch second variation in T&V...?
Essentially yes, but with two differences. Dewdrop piques into attitude, and the man in T&V does arabesque. Also, most of the men I've seen in T&V (both ABT and NYCB) alternate the arms in the arabesques. Dewdrop (in attitude) doesn't.

A note from Admin, for clarification:

Links to blogs, public Facebook pages, Tweets, etc. by dance professionals, dance critics, and members of the mainstream press are valid for Ballet Alert! Links to those by fans aren't, however articulate or informative.