This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mme. Dominique

I've been rereading Ivor Guest's histories recently and keep coming across this name. He doesn't provide much background information -- she taught ballet classes in a studio around the corner from the Opera, and her pupils included Livry, Grantzow and Bozzacci. I'm curious -- was she THE great late 19th century French teacher, or did she just get lucky?

Estelle, if you have the time, could you check Guest's French history? He may have more detail in there.

Have any of our other posters come across her? There should be a history of Great Teachers, come to think of it.

Ah, how I miss the days of the ballet quiz, when I would stay up late Sunday nights scouring my library for obscure bits of ballet lore!

Here's what I could find:

Madame Dominique (Caroline Lassiat) was a former Paris Opera dancer. She went on to teach in the POB school. She taught the elementary class from 1860 and succeeded Marie Taglioni as the teacher of the class de perfectionnement in 1872. Some of her students were Emma Livry, Guiseppina Bozzacchi, Leontine Beaugrande and Adele Grantzow. She was quite a famous teacher during the 19th century, and had an international reputation comparable to that of Auguste Vestris.

~Steve

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Steve Keeley ]