Giselle At the Kennedy Center - Feb 2011

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#16 Kyeong

Kyeong

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Casting change: Alina Somova and Tereshkina were switched.

PRINCIPAL CASTING
Tue., Feb. 8 at 7:30 p.m.
Giselle: Diana Vishneva
Alberth: Andrian Fadeyev
Hanz: Yuri Smekalov
Mirtha: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Wed., Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
Giselle: Alina Somova (cast change on 1/12)
Alberth: Evgeny Ivanchenko (cast change on 1/12)
Hanz: Konstantin Zverev
Mirtha: Alexandra Iosifidi

Thu., Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m.
Giselle: Viktoria Tereshkina (cast change on 1/12)

Fri., Feb. 11 at 7:30 p.m.
Giselle: Alina Somova (cast change on 1/12)

Sat., Feb. 12 at 1:30 p.m.
Giselle: Viktoria Tereshkina (cast change on 1/12)
Alberth: Vladimir Shklyarov (cast change on 1/12)
Mirtha: Anastasia Petushkova

Sat., Feb. 12 at 7:30 p.m.
Giselle: Uliana Lopatkina
Alberth: Daniil Korsuntsev

Sun., Feb. 13 at 1:30 p.m.
Giselle: Diana Vishneva
Alberth: Andrian Fadeyev

http://www.kennedy-c...ent&event=BLBSF

#17 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

Casting change: Alina Somova and Tereshkina were switched.

http://www.kennedy-c...ent&event=BLBSF

One might almost suspect the management of having a sense of humor--though I realize there could be rational reasons for this. Where are the kremlinologists ... ooops I meant Mariinskyologists...when you need them?

#18 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

Look on the bright side. Now out-of-town folks who were planning to spend two nights in DC in order to be able to see Terioshkina on Friday night can save money, now needing a hotel only on Saturday night. Of course, 'they' can still pull a switcheroo and stick folks with Somova on Saturday night, but that would be way too cruel.

#19 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Look on the bright side. Now out-of-town folks who were planning to spend two nights in DC in order to be able to see Terioshkina on Friday night can save money, now needing a hotel only on Saturday night. Of course, 'they' can still pull a switcheroo and stick folks with Somova on Saturday night, but that would be way too cruel.

I've been on the losing end of too many Mariinsky switcharoos and I relay feel badly for people who booked Friday night for Terioshkina. But since I didn't I'm going to try to take something good away from this change. Had tickets for Sat nite (Lopatkina/Korsuntsev/Kondaurova) and Sunday matinee (Vishneva/Fadeyev/Iosifidi) and just bought tkts for the Sat matinee. I'm hoping against hope that this casting holds but even if it doesn't - 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

#20 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

If they keep it as switched on Tuesday - i will be trying to switch my Friday night for Sat. matinee. i hope they still do it. Nysusan, i'll see you there ;-)) and others

#21 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

dub

#22 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

I am an adult beginner who has become absorbed in and devoted to the ballet during the past year. I have purchased and repeatedly viewed a dozen or so dvds, taken classes, read books, and performed other research on the ballet. I was preparing to attend the ballet in the Spring. I wanted to buy tickets to see Roberto Bolle at the ABT, but feared changes in scheduled performers due to injury or other issues. The posts on this topic discuss "bait and switch ticketing." This caused me to to perform a search on this issue, and I found similar commentary in posts on this website about the ABT in 2009. Does anyone have any advice regarding how to approach purchasing tickets?

#23 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

I just experienced this last night with ABT in Washington, DC, puppytreats. (My faves, Abrera & Radetsky, did not dance...and Radetsky remained listed in the playbill -- without errata slip or public announcement. Hamrick subbing for Abrera as lead in LILAC GARDEN *did* make the playbill. I *think* that was Lopez dancing the 2nd sailor's solo in FANCY FREE but I'm not sure.) Alas, unless you know someone who works 'deep' in the company, you are totally taking your chances. Even dancers in some Russian companies themselves do not know principal casting until they read it on the Ardani or Kennedy Center or BalletAlert sites. Kid you not.

#24 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:59 AM

I wanted to buy tickets to see Roberto Bolle at the ABT, but feared changes in scheduled performers due to injury or other issues. The posts on this topic discuss "bait and switch ticketing." ...Does anyone have any advice regarding how to approach purchasing tickets?

If you don't mind sitting in the Family Circle (the rear part of the highest balcony), you can usually get tickets as late as the day of performance. Most of the other sections sell out, though if you are going alone you may find a single seat available somewhere.

The switches are often the result of injuries, so trying to predict when they will occur is difficult.

ETA: This post and the last two should be moved to the ABT folder.

#25 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

...switches are often the result of injuries, so trying to predict when they will occur is difficult...

Injuries are one and only one reason. At the Mariinsky, last-minute, unannounced switches rarely have to do with injuries.

#26 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

Injuries are one and only one reason. At the Mariinsky, last-minute, unannounced switches rarely have to do with injuries.

That may be true, but I was responding to someone asking about getting tickets to see ABT. (Yes, I know this is the wrong forum for that.) My perception has been that ABT is less likely than, perhaps, Mariinsky to make last-minute switches that are not due to injury.

#27 cantdance

cantdance

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

David Hallberg mentioned on his Twitter that he will be rehearsing with the Marinsky in DC after his London ABT tour. But he is not listed in the cast. I will be going to their open rehearsal and hopes he will show up. Anybody know about this?

#28 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:25 AM

Saw Hallberg in the audience last night (was told he rehearses SL for Mariinsky's festival).
Vishneva and (my favorite) Fadeev & Kondaurova were OUTSTANDING last night. Such great acting, so true. Great performance. Saw open rehearsal and (as hoped) swithced Fr. Night to Sat. Matinee to see Tereshkina & Shklyarov (who will add an additional vatiation in Act 1 (once composed by Sergeev and once danced years ago - he danced it so flawlessly & impressively during the Dress Rehearsal.
PS: no mention was made of Valeria Martinyuk dancing instead of Shirinkina in Peasant pas de deux. Oksana Skorik (1 of 2 lead wilises) was elevating her legs higher than the rest though was asked to not do so at dress rehearsal

#29 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for the report, YID! I love the bit about Skorik being told to not lift the leg too high; finally, the coaches are seeing the absurdity in dancing in a neoclassical manner in 19th-C. ballets? We'll see if the same rule holds true for young ballerinas dancing the leading role. :) Now I cannot wait to see Schklyarov dancing the special Sergeev variation. I'll be there for weekend performances. Too much late-night work in office this week.

#30 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the report, YID!
I would LOVE to see Shirinkina's Peasant PPD so hopefully the switch was just for one night. Who was Martinyuk's partner?
Very excited about seeing Shklyarov in Sergeev's variation and still crossing my fingers that Lopatkina shows up for Sat night.
I'll be there for both performances on Sat & the Sun matinee. See you and Natalia there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):