This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Giselle At the Kennedy Center - Feb 2011

I've been looking for casting info. on this engagement. Vishneva's website indicates that she will perform Giselle on Feb 8 and 13. If anyone comes across additional casting info, please post. So far there is nothing on the Kennedy Center website regarding casting.

I've also been keeping my eye out for casting. Probably won't go unless there is extraordinary casting that I can't resist. Visheva's Giselle is wonderful - one of today's best - but I can see her in NY this spring. I would be tempted by Obraztsova but I just checked her website and she's scheduled to dance in Berlin from 2/8 - 2/11, so I guess she won't be coming to the KC with the Mariinsky and it looks like I can save some money and stay home!

http://www.evgeniaob...com/afisha.html

Unless, of course, they do something crazy like bring Lopatkina...

Casting is up on the Kennedy Center website:

Tue., Feb. 8 at 7:30 p.m.

Giselle: Diana Vishneva

Alberth: Andrian Fadeyev

Hanz: Yuri Smekalov

Mirtha: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Wed., Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m.

Giselle: Viktoria Tereshkina

Alberth: Vladimir Shklyarov

Hanz: Konstantin Zverev

Mirtha: Alexandra Iosifidi

Thu., Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m.

Giselle: Alina Somova

Alberth: Evgeny Ivanchenko

Fri., Feb. 11 at 7:30 p.m.

Giselle: Viktoria Tereshkina

Alberth: Vladimir Shklyarov

Sat., Feb. 12 at 1:30 p.m.

Giselle: Alina Somova

Alberth: Evgeny Ivanchenko

Mirtha: Anastasia Petushkova

Sat., Feb. 12 at 7:30 p.m.

Giselle: Uliana Lopatkina

Alberth: Daniil Korsuntsev

Sun., Feb. 13 at 1:30 p.m.

Does it make sense for Lopatkina to come here for only one performance?

Well, Lopatkina has gone to DC before for only The Dying Swan at a combined opera-ballet gala, so she could very well be going this time for one Giselle. Of course, the harsh reality is that, most likely, casting will change and - greatest of cruelties! - people who pay top-dollar for tickets (and maybe even travel expenses) for Saturday night end up with Somova at that performance. Such cruelties have happened in the past to lure big-name critics and ensure a sell-out house for Somova, who could never achieve that on her own. I hope I'm wrong but...

Too bad that neither Obraztsova (busy at a Malakhov Gala in Berlin) nor Skorik are slated to dance Giselle in DC.

Terioshkina is wonderful but more so as Mirtha, not Giselle.

On the positive side: Andrian Fadeyev with Diana Vishneva at the opening and closing performances (maybe).

Natalia wrote:

Well, Lopatkina has gone to DC before for only The Dying Swan at a combined opera-ballet gala, so she could very well be going this time for one Giselle. Of course, the harsh reality is that, most likely, casting will change and - greatest of cruelties! - people who pay top-dollar for tickets (and maybe even travel expenses) for Saturday night end up with Somova at that performance. Such cruelties have happened in the past to lure big-name critics and ensure a sell-out house for Somova, who could never achieve that on her own. I hope I'm wrong but...

I'm surprised and delighted that Lopatkina is coming.

Too bad that neither Obraztsova (busy at a Malakhov Gala in Berlin) nor Skorik are slated to dance Giselle in DC.

I'm not surprised that Genya isn't coming. If she were scheduled for Giselle at Kennedy, I'd crawl through glass and walk through walls to be there.

Terioshkina is wonderful but more so as Mirtha, not Giselle.

I totally agree with you. And IMO, Uliana is superior in classical, not Romantic roles such as Giselle.

On the positive side: Andrian Fadeyev with Diana Vishneva at the opening and closing performances (maybe).

Well I hope so, but nothing is etched in stone. It could have been you know who, and it could still be you know who as the bookends for Kennedy. Do you remember last year's Covent Garden summer engagement? That went well :huh:. What would be more notable than an American debut as Giselle and the opening night at Kennedy Center? This is how Fateev thinks regarding you know who. In other news, irony of ironies, the powers that be have named Yuri Fateev an Honored Artist of the Russian Federation.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/news1/2_228december/

There seems to be an unwritten rule that Vishneva gets every opening night at the Kennedy Center. This has been the case for several years. That works for me, since I have high regard for her. Let's just hope that we don't have another blizzard for this season's Kirov engagement.

I've heard that Tereshkina got very good reports from Russian audience. I've seen only photos:

http://0ika.livejournal.com/148541.html

She reminds me of Mezentseva here.

She is indeed wonderful and a "can-do" dancer. It's just that her face is more 'queenly' -- with strong angular features -- than sweet ingenue, which is of importance to many in the audience. Terioshkina is perfect in every way for Mirtha, as was Lopatkina back in the 90s. There's more to it than being able to do the steps. Vishneva and Obraztsova are the two Mariinsky ballerinas who have it all - perfect 'ingenue' faces and physiques for Giselle, lovely technique, strong acting, musicality.

I've heard that Tereshkina got very good reports from Russian audience. I've seen only photos:

http://0ika.livejournal.com/148541.html

She is indeed wonderful and a "can-do" dancer. It's just that her face is more 'queenly' -- with strong angular features -- than sweet ingenue, which is of importance to many in the audience. Terioshkina is perfect in every way for Mirtha, as was Lopatkina back in the 90s. There's more to it than being able to do the steps. Vishneva and Obraztsova are the two Mariinsky ballerinas who have it all - perfect 'ingenue' faces and physiques for Giselle, lovely technique, strong acting, musicality.

I might add that the best Giselles I've seen are able to transform themselves from shy ingenue to a more mature, otherworldly ghost in Act 2. I wish Daria Pavlenko was coming along, but didn't she just have a baby? Maybe she doesn't want to tour to the U.S. because of her young family.

http://0ika.livejour...com/148541.html

I might add that the best Giselles I've seen are able to transform themselves from shy ingenue to a more mature, otherworldly ghost in Act 2. I wish Daria Pavlenko was coming along, but didn't she just have a baby? Maybe she doesn't want to tour to the U.S. because of her young family.

If only Pavlenko was coming either to DC or to Toronto in March, but that would be a miracle.

Don't count Tereshkina out just because she's not a natural Giselle. She didn't strike me as a natural Kitri either, but she was wonderful in DON Q. She is a very intelligent artist as well as being a great technician, I'm betting she'll be a heartbreaking Giselle. The only pity is that we won't get her Myrtha anymore, hers was the best I've ever seen.

Casting change: Alina Somova and Tereshkina were switched.

PRINCIPAL CASTING

Tue., Feb. 8 at 7:30 p.m.

Wed., Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m.

Giselle: Alina Somova (cast change on 1/12)

Alberth: Evgeny Ivanchenko (cast change on 1/12)

Thu., Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m.

Giselle: Viktoria Tereshkina (cast change on 1/12)

Fri., Feb. 11 at 7:30 p.m.

Giselle: Alina Somova (cast change on 1/12)

Sat., Feb. 12 at 1:30 p.m.

Giselle: Viktoria Tereshkina (cast change on 1/12)

Alberth: Vladimir Shklyarov (cast change on 1/12)

Mirtha: Anastasia Petushkova

Sat., Feb. 12 at 7:30 p.m.

Giselle: Uliana Lopatkina

Alberth: Daniil Korsuntsev

Sun., Feb. 13 at 1:30 p.m.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/index.cfm?fuseaction=showEvent&event=BLBSF

Look on the bright side. Now out-of-town folks who were planning to spend two nights in DC in order to be able to see Terioshkina on Friday night can save money, now needing a hotel only on Saturday night. Of course, 'they' can still pull a switcheroo and stick folks with Somova on Saturday night, but that would be way too cruel.

Look on the bright side. Now out-of-town folks who were planning to spend two nights in DC in order to be able to see Terioshkina on Friday night can save money, now needing a hotel only on Saturday night. Of course, 'they' can still pull a switcheroo and stick folks with Somova on Saturday night, but that would be way too cruel.

I've been on the losing end of too many Mariinsky switcharoos and I relay feel badly for people who booked Friday night for Terioshkina. But since I didn't I'm going to try to take something good away from this change. Had tickets for Sat nite (Lopatkina/Korsuntsev/Kondaurova) and Sunday matinee (Vishneva/Fadeyev/Iosifidi) and just bought tkts for the Sat matinee. I'm hoping against hope that this casting holds but even if it doesn't - 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

I am an adult beginner who has become absorbed in and devoted to the ballet during the past year. I have purchased and repeatedly viewed a dozen or so dvds, taken classes, read books, and performed other research on the ballet. I was preparing to attend the ballet in the Spring. I wanted to buy tickets to see Roberto Bolle at the ABT, but feared changes in scheduled performers due to injury or other issues. The posts on this topic discuss "bait and switch ticketing." This caused me to to perform a search on this issue, and I found similar commentary in posts on this website about the ABT in 2009. Does anyone have any advice regarding how to approach purchasing tickets?

I just experienced this last night with ABT in Washington, DC, puppytreats. (My faves, Abrera & Radetsky, did not dance...and Radetsky remained listed in the playbill -- without errata slip or public announcement. Hamrick subbing for Abrera as lead in LILAC GARDEN *did* make the playbill. I *think* that was Lopez dancing the 2nd sailor's solo in FANCY FREE but I'm not sure.) Alas, unless you know someone who works 'deep' in the company, you are totally taking your chances. Even dancers in some Russian companies themselves do not know principal casting until they read it on the Ardani or Kennedy Center or BalletAlert sites. Kid you not.

I wanted to buy tickets to see Roberto Bolle at the ABT, but feared changes in scheduled performers due to injury or other issues. The posts on this topic discuss "bait and switch ticketing." ...Does anyone have any advice regarding how to approach purchasing tickets?

If you don't mind sitting in the Family Circle (the rear part of the highest balcony), you can usually get tickets as late as the day of performance. Most of the other sections sell out, though if you are going alone you may find a single seat available somewhere.

The switches are often the result of injuries, so trying to predict when they will occur is difficult.

ETA: This post and the last two should be moved to the ABT folder.