This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

me too -- I'd liketo see the rrest of it.

DO they show much in hte classroom?

The kid are SO modest. But of course, ballet is the school of courtesy.

The accents are a little hard to make out -- even though I lived in England for 3 years, still, I had trouble occasionally with the narrator's accent. Where exactly IS Elmhurst?

The accents are a little hard to make out -- even though I lived in England for 3 years, still, I had trouble occasionally with the narrator's accent. Where exactly IS Elmhurst?

Elmhurst is in Birmingham, or to use the local patois there, Brummagem. The West Midlands accent can be an item of scorn or of pride, depending on who you talk to.

Paul,

The accents of the five children followed and the narrator are all Welsh. The programme was made for BBC Wales, which is a BBC channel specifically for Wales and the Welsh, the programme was shown on terrestrial TV in Wales only, in England it was shown on BBC3, a cable channel and online.

The accents weren't that broad for my English ears, when you get someone with a really broad deep Welsh accent it can be a struggle. The narrator Siriol Jenkins is a Welsh actress and as such hers was a mix of Welsh and RP.

As a word of warning don't EVER call a Welshman or woman English, you'll get a right earbashing. Both Wales & Scotland have their own parliaments the Welsh & Scottish assemblies, respectively, and though they are under overall administration from Parliament from Westminster there are very strong factions campaigning for the right of Wales and Scotland to be able to govern themselves apart from Westminster.

Elmhurst is in Birmingham, as stated above, it's also the feeder school for Birmingham Royal Ballet, though BRB also recruits from the Royal Ballet School - and of course they also recruit externally. Elmhurst's ties to BRB became increasingly strong after Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet moved to Birmingham in 1990 and became the Birmingham Royal. Desmond Kelly, Samira Saidi, Dominic Antonucci, Marion Tait who were seen in the documentary were all once principals with Sadlers Wells/Birmingham Royal.

Elmhurst is one of the three top ballet schools in the UK, along with Royal Ballet School and English National Ballet School, though Central School is pretty good too.

The schools the three were going to after leaving Elmhurst, Hammond, Legat and Millennium are middling range schools, with more of a focus on a wider range of dance (in my opinion Millennium is pretty cheesy). I was surprised that Rebecca had chosen to leave Elmhurst for Legat if she truly wanted to be a ballet dancer, Elmhurst is streets ahead of Legat in that respect and would have given her the opportunity to recuperate, and of course there are Elmhurst's ties with top ballet companies.

The accents of the five children followed and the narrator are all Welsh. The programme was made for BBC Wales, which is a BBC channel specifically for Wales and the Welsh, the programme was shown on terrestrial TV in Wales only, in England it was shown on BBC3, a cable channel and online.

The accents weren't that broad for my English ears, when you get someone with a really broad deep Welsh accent it can be a struggle. The narrator Siriol Jenkins is a Welsh actress and as such hers was a mix of Welsh and RP.

As a word of warning don't EVER call a Welshman or woman English, you'll get a right earbashing. Both Wales & Scotland have their own parliaments the Welsh & Scottish assemblies, respectively, and though they are under overall administration from Parliament from Westminster there are very strong factions campaigning for the right of Wales and Scotland to be able to govern themselves apart from Westminster.

Elmhurst is in Birmingham, as stated above, it's also the feeder school for Birmingham Royal Ballet, though BRB also recruits from the Royal Ballet School - and of course they also recruit externally. Elmhurst's ties to BRB became increasingly strong after Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet moved to Birmingham in 1990 and became the Birmingham Royal. Desmond Kelly, Samira Saidi, Dominic Antonucci, Marion Tait who were seen in the documentary were all once principals with Sadlers Wells/Birmingham Royal.

Elmhurst is one of the three top ballet schools in the UK, along with Royal Ballet School and English National Ballet School, though Central School is pretty good too.

The schools the three were going to after leaving Elmhurst, Hammond, Legat and Millennium are middling range schools, with more of a focus on a wider range of dance (in my opinion Millennium is pretty cheesy). I was surprised that Rebecca had chosen to leave Elmhurst for Legat if she truly wanted to be a ballet dancer, Elmhurst is streets ahead of Legat in that respect and would have given her the opportunity to recuperate, and of course there are Elmhurst's ties with top ballet companies.

Thank you so much for your insights into those other schools. I enjoyed the series very much.