This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thanks for posting, Helene. Sorry to hear this. Maybe not the world's most charismatic actor, but a very nice guy to have in your living room.

As the obit mentions, MacArthur was the adopted son of two legends of the American theater, Helen Hayes and Charles MacArthur (here, from James’ website, is a nice bio and tribute to his father, a gifted man who took to drink).

I knew I remembered him in ingenue things I saw as a child. These were 'Swiss Family Robinson' and 'Spencer's Mountain'--very nice movies for kids--and some other TV, I'm sure. Never cared at all for 'Hawaii Five-O', except when they hired Bill Smith for a year or two. Of that obsolete kind of single-story-episode cop series (ended, I think, when 'Hill Street Blues' started serializing), I thought a few were enjoyable, like 'Policewoman', but 'Hawaii Five-O' was strictly formula and mind-numbing IMO.

What a shame. I've been enjoying the rebooted series on CBS w/ Alex O'Loughlin, Scott Caan (as Danno), Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park and I was hoping that James MacArthur, as the last surviving member of the classic cast, would make an appearance. Sigh.

In any event -- "Book 'em, Danno!"