This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mikhailovsky Ballet -- Leonid Sarafanov joins company

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

"The renowned dancer Leonid Sarafanov has signed a contract, under which on 1 January 2011 he is coming to the Mikhailovsky Ballet Company as a principal dancer. His first appearance at the Mikhailovsky Theatre as a principal is planned for 22 January 2011."

#2 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

This doesn't look good for the Mariinsky, especially after Lobukhin leaving for the Bolshoi earlier this year. I hope it doesn't backlash with the management negatively onto his wife's career.

Also the bit at the bottom of the description about Makhalina is a travesty.

#3 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:58 AM

I'm shocked by this move, I somehow imagined Sarafanov was the company golden boy after his early promotion to the leading roles and never expected him to leave the company. Undoubtedly there is more to this than meets the eye and I dare say acting director Fateev had a hand in whatever forced Sarafanov to make this decision.

I wish him well in the new company, he would have been better off under the Mikhailovsky's previous director Messerer though. Won't his talents be rather going to waste under Duato?

#4 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

Who knows how this may be connected to other events but this seems to me one more sign that there is some kind of artistic unease inside the MT Ballet.

Perhaps it's not so unfortunate that their visit to NYC for next summer has been cancelled. Let's hope for some new, brighter artistic direction which will lead the company back to a place where it is more in line with their traditional reputation.

Right now I would say there is quite a gap between the company's day in and day out performances and the much more positive historical/traditional reputation that they have in the minds of many ballet goers.

#5 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

Now I'm wondering who his wife is, ksk04?
This sounds all really bad.. I also thought Sarafanov was 'golden boy' at the company (I don't really like his dancing, though)

#6 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

Now I'm wondering who his wife is, ksk04?
This sounds all really bad.. I also thought Sarafanov was 'golden boy' at the company (I don't really like his dancing, though)

His wife is Olesia Novikova

#7 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

What is the source of this information? I mean his departure to the land of Duato? (who by the way won't be fulltime in the theatre until Jan 2011 either).

I just have to say, you watch the a la seconde turns at the end of that clip, and the changing spot -- and it gives me chills. Any company is lucky to have him.

#8 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

"The renowned dancer Leonid Sarafanov has signed a contract, under which on 1 January 2011 he is coming to the Mikhailovsky Ballet Company as a principal dancer. His first appearance at the Mikhailovsky Theatre as a principal is planned for 22 January 2011."

This is huge. Something happened to prompt him to bail. He's enjoyed preferred casting for the past several years. My guess is that Mikhailovsky Theatre General Director, Vladimir "Banana King" Kehkman offered him far more money than he's being paid at the Mariinsky Theatre. Another factor may be that he's been assigned to Somova as her most frequent partner at home and abroad.

Someone asked whether this will effect Olesya Novikova. There's no telling how it will effect her career. It probably won't change her current situation. She's a 1st Soloist and pretty much a "house" 1st soloist. She's infrequently cast compared to others. I think that in two or more seasons Novikova may be consigned to "Dumchenko Land." If there are any promotions this season, I expect that Vladimir Shyklarov will be the strongest contender to take Sarafanov's place. MO.

Mashinka wrote,

I wish him well in the new company, he would have been better off under the Mikhailovsky's previous director Messerer though. Won't his talents be rather going to waste under Duato?

Exactly. His classical repertory will be curtailed if Duato decides to mount and push his own works and sideline the classics. It would be an excellent move for him if Misha Messerer was still the ballet director. How will Maestro Gergiev deal with Yuri Fateev regarding this high profile departure? That's the $1 Trillion question. Sarafanov's departure is to Fateev what Zakharova's departure was to Vaziev. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

*(Edited: Kehkman is the General Director not the AD).

#9 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

From the Mikhailovsky website: http://www.mikhailov...ilovsky-ballet/

#10 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

Ah thanks. I agree w/Cygnet regarding the potential effects on Sarafanov's career, given how strong his classical background is. But maybe he wants to branch into more modern works? Hopefully he will have the ability to guest externally more often in any case. Then too, with the Mikhailovksy's deep deep pockets, they tend to tour more than the Mariinsky -- that is going to be more exposure.

It will be an interesting move in any case.

#11 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

My guess is that Mikhailovsky Theatre Artistic Director, Vladimir "Banana King" Kehkman offered him far more money than he's being paid at the Mariinsky Theatre.

Um, I guess I'm ignorant, but why is he the "Banana King"? Sounds intriguing.

Regarding Sarafanov, I've only seen him a few times, when the Kirov visited New York's City Center a few years ago. He was incredible. I had hopes that ABT might invite him to be a guest, but unfortunately that has not happened. If memory serves, I believe I read that the Mikhailovsky Ballet will visit NYC in 2012.

#12 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Abbatt wrote,

Kehkman is a billionaire. He made his fortune by importing bananas to Russia.

#13 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

My guess is that since Sarafanov is not typically placed alongside Vishneva at home, that this prevents him from guesting with ABT. There may be an unspoken quota on how many Mariinsky guest artists ABT can house per season, I have no idea.

And yes- the Mik in 2012 in NYC is planned.

#14 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

There may be an unspoken quota on how many Mariinsky guest artists ABT can house per season, I have no idea.

Not just Mariinsky but guest artists as a whole. ABT's guest star policy has ever been contentious. The artistic director has to balance the public's love of guest stars against the day-to-day dancers' feeling that the company should be promoting them (in terms of press and rank) instead of the guests. God bless ABT -- it never changes!

(That being said, if Sarafanov wants to dance w/ ABT, then now would be the time to put out feelers. With Carreno retiring, Corella hardly dancing with the company any more and certain older danseurs dancing less (Beloserkovsky, Steifel), there is a certain void at the top w/ only Stearns seemingly on the cusp of promotion.)

#15 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

Abbatt wrote,

Kehkman is a billionaire. He made his fortune by importing bananas to Russia.

True. He's also the classic "Biznizman" in more ways than one. Automobile advertisements at the entrance of the theater, anyone?

Who can blame Sarafanov for wanting to leave "The House of Blues" while he still has the physical prowess to command higher wages? Besides, he can still partner Obraztsova and other Mariinsky ballerinas who make frequent guest appearances at the Mikhailovsky. Anything to get away from Miss Hyperflex! :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):