Yay Alina Cojocaru in Giselle!

#17 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

My immediate choices were Vishneva in 'Giselle' and Osipova in 'Sleeping Beauty'. What is Vishneva's Giselle like? Do people want to see Cojocaru in it more because they haven't, or because they already like her in it? I know about Cojocaru's Aurora, but I still would rather see Osipova, I think, if I have to choose (I can't remember if Osipova did Aurora here this year, or if anybody has seen her in it, so please inform. Thanks.)

#18 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

If you all had to choose between seeing Cojocaru in Don Q or Giselle what would you pick? I saw her SB last year and am in love with her. I've never seen the ABT production of Don Q (I'm not much of a full length ballet person). Is there a lot of stage time for the lead? I'm not a big Giselle fan either, but I have seen it a lot over the years. Bottom line 1. stage time by the female lead 2. opportunity to see other company members shine in variations. What to do?

#19 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

Vishneva, Cojocaru and Osipova are all worth seeing in Giselle. Three very different dancers, but valid interpretations.

Vishneva's Giselle is primarily great in the second act. She's good in the first act, but it's the second act where she distinguishes herself. She puts dark makeup under her eyes, and has a stern, ghostly expression. This Giselle turns furiously at her initiation, and in general seems to be waging a battle against Myrtha that is hair-raising. She's not so much a gentle weeping spirit as a frightening ghost who saves Albrecht by sheer will.

Cojocaru's Giselle is available on dvd, and she's surprisingly weak in the variations, but uses her lightness, airiness, and elevation to great effect. She's my favorite Act 1 Giselle. So girlish, so charming, so sweet.

Osipova's Giselle is maybe the most unorthodox. She uses her incredible ballon and technique to make Giselle an exhilirating pure-dance experience. She's girlish in Act 1, heartbroken in the mad scene, etc. but what I remember most about her Giselle is the way she hung in the air in her entrechats, or the exuberance with which she grand jeted across the stage. I felt as if I was at times watching a Balanchine abstract piece as she just floated across the stage, seemingly oblivious to everything around her. It was quite an experience.

#20 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Osipova's Giselle is maybe the most unorthodox. She uses her incredible ballon and technique to make Giselle an exhilirating pure-dance experience. She's girlish in Act 1, heartbroken in the mad scene, etc. but what I remember most about her Giselle is the way she hung in the air in her entrechats, or the exuberance with which she grand jeted across the stage. I felt as if I was at times watching a Balanchine abstract piece as she just floated across the stage, seemingly oblivious to everything around her. It was quite an experience.

[size="5"]Sold[/size]![size="3"][/size] As might have been predicted, but these were all very tantalizing characterizations. Thanks so much.

Edited to add: Oh dear, it looks like I probably just want to see Osipova--she's not scheduled for 'Giselle', I see. So I guess I will see her Aurora. But Coppelia sounds pretty irresistible too...

#21 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

An interesting omission to principal casting is Sarah Lane. I saw her do a really nice Theme & Variations not long after she joined the corps. I mean a better Theme than I've seen many principal dancers pull off in both NYCB & ABT. I also saw her Aurora in NYC. Lovely, a bit nervous but very technically secure and nice characterization, the audience loved her and I looked forward to repeat performances that didn't come to pass. Where is she?

#22 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

Veronika Part appears woefully underused, as is par for the course...two Myrthas, a Swan Lake, a Sleeping Beauty, and the Bright Stream. Such a shame, why promote the girl if you don't give her any new parts? Herman Cornejo does seem to be reeling in some new roles though, which is great for him.

I enjoy Alina Cojocaru's dancing very much but as a Kitri...no. And with how many injuries she's dealing with (she just pulled out some dates for the RB this season) it's ridiculous she takes on this amount of guesting.

I am thinking the tba for the Cornejo cast of the Bright Stream will end up being Sarah Lane. Who else would it be besides her or Reyes? And if it was Reyes they'd just announce it since she's a principal.

#23 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:35 PM

Edited to add: Oh dear, it looks like I probably just want to see Osipova--she's not scheduled for 'Giselle', I see. So I guess I will see her Aurora. But Coppelia sounds pretty irresistible too...

Osipova got really incredible reviews in London(?) in the new Bolshoi production of Coppelia. Yes, production itself got great reviews but she got fantastic reviews in the part. I did very much enjoy her Aurora and it is a work in progress and will be better this year than last, but I would probably (if choosing only one) go for Coppelia!

#24 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

Subscription sales started October 15, according to their news release, but I can't find anything about single tickets on their site. Has anyone seen a date when those go on sale or remember from last year? Have subscribers received something in the mail? They don't seem to have on-line ordering yet for the subscriptions for the spring season.

I kept print-outs I made a year ago and the TBAs were filled in by November 1, especially for the Osipova performances. So I'm wondering if she might be doing the TBA Don Q's on May 21 and 23 -- who else might take those? Any guesses on the Swan Lake July 2? I don't remember reading that Osipova has done Swan Lake. Perhaps that will be Cojocaru?

Also, I haven't seen any info on casting for the three new works May 24-26 by Ratmansky, Millepied, and Wheeldon. Has any information come out somewhere on those?

#25 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:35 AM

Veronika Part appears woefully underused, as is par for the course...two Myrthas, a Swan Lake, a Sleeping Beauty, and the Bright Stream. Such a shame, why promote the girl if you don't give her any new parts? Herman Cornejo does seem to be reeling in some new roles though, which is great for him.

They have not yet announced the casting for the secondary roles in Lady of the Cams. I'm guessing she will perform in that ballet, as she did last season. I also guess she may do a Lilac Fairy. That casting has not been announced either. Also, although principals often don't perform Mercedes in Don Q, I hope she is cast in that role. She missed her Mercedes performances last year due to injury.

#26 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

There are a lot of "TBAs" and I'm sure Part will be dancing quite a bit when all is said and done. But Michele Wiles in Don Q? Wow.

Overall, looking forward to Giselle, Bright Stream, and Coppelia.

#27 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

Unfortunately, I can't say I find this season exciting or promising. I have serious doubts The Bright Stream is a worthy addition to the ABT repertoire, even with Osipova and Simkin in leading roles.

Neither Vishneva, nor Part are doing anything new, and while I may go to see Cojocaru's Giselle, I think ABT should not invite the same guest dancers every year over and over again. It would be much more interesting to see somebody else for a change, i.e. Kondaurova (she could do Swan Lake, Mirta and probably even The Lady of the Camellias), Obraztsova or Semionova. Or are we now stuck with Osipova for the next 10-15 years, simply because Ratmansky "discovered" her at the Bolshoi?

Overall a pretty lame and disappointing announcement, IMHO.

On the other hand, it will make saving money for the Kirov season at the Met so much easier :)

#28 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

Unfortunately, I can't say I find this season exciting or promising. I have serious doubts The Bright Stream is a worthy addition to the ABT repertoire, even with Osipova and Simkin in leading roles.

Neither Vishneva, nor Part are doing anything new, and while I may go to see Cojocaru's Giselle, I think ABT should not invite the same guest dancers every year over and over again. It would be much more interesting to see somebody else for a change, i.e. Kondaurova (she could do Swan Lake, Mirta and probably even The Lady of the Camellias), Obraztsova or Semionova. Or are we now stuck with Osipova for the next 10-15 years, simply because Ratmansky "discovered" her at the Bolshoi?

Overall a pretty lame and disappointing announcement, IMHO.

On the other hand, it will make saving money for the Kirov season at the Met so much easier :)

Wow. And here i thought it was the most embarassment of riches I ever even heard of a ballet company announcing. And I haven't even looked at what Hallberg and Stearns and Gomes are going to be up to.

Or are we now stuck with Osipova for the next 10-15 years, simply because Ratmansky "discovered" her at the Bolshoi?

Gimme a break--'stuck with Osipova?'. And maybe we'll even be 'stuck with Vishneva' too. Quel horreur! When I read this schedule, I wanted to see nearly everything in it, especially Vishneva in Giselle if I had the money to go to that too.

I'm not satisfied with what I saw Part do in that Ashton program--the Awakening pdd with Hallberg. I don't feel as though I've yet seen her (Hallberg either, for that matter, even though they were very elegant.) otoh, even that 'Thais' thing was really seeing Vishneva, even in a short piece, reminded me of the Bayadere clip canbelto put up. Yes, I do want to see a lot more of Miss Vishneva too. I'd like to see Hallberg in a big part too, though.

#29 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

I can't find dates for the Kirov visit to the Met on-line. Are those available somewhere?

#30 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

Some additional thoughts on the Met season.

1) As mentioned by other members, Sarah Lane has not received any principal casting opportunities. What is more disconcerting for her is that Daniil S, who would be one of the more direct routes, if she were to find a relatively stable set of partnering opportunities with him, to her getting more principal roles, seems to have been paired with Y Kajiya. See Daniil's Don Quixote debut; Nutcracker performances by the same pair.

2) Hee Seo debuts as Giselle with Hallberg. :) She has worked with him some before (eg La Sylphide) and I think they make a nice couple on stage. I see Hee Seo also gets the second female part in Bright Stream. She is clearly still very much on track towards promotion possibilities in several years. S Abrera also has the same Bright Stream role casting, as well as a Myrta in Giselle.

3) Interesting that Stiefel pairs Herrera in Swan Lake, with Hallberg (as well as Carreno, in the special performance with the split Odette/Odile) pairing Murphy.

4) A repeat of the Osipova/Hallberg pairing for Sleeping Beauty will be interesting.

I didn't see Osipova listed as a Giselle on the calendar -- did I just miss the listing?

5) I don't see Vishneva listed on the calendar for a Swan Lake. There is a "cast to be announced" indication a Saturday evening Swan Lake, but that might not be hers. Also, the matinee performance on the same day already has Gomes dancing Siegfried, so, if she were dancing that Saturday evening, she wouldn't be dancing with him (maybe Hallberg, whom she paired in 2010)?

5) Maria Riccetto gets a Coppelia.

6) The casting reflects, appropriately of course, Cornejo being honored in his final ABT Met season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):