This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

1877 SL: Act I PDT "Andante Sostenuto"

cubanmiamiboy

I was wondering if the deleted Pas de Trois "Andante Sostenuto"-(1st variation)- from the 1877 rendition of the score is being used in modern productions of the ballet. Is such a BEAUTIFUL piece of music...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKNW6W/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0015RD60S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11MB1MGDRCZXXZQS223G

Thanks!

Apparently, Tchaikovsky being a ballet novice in 1877, the andante sostenuto was supposed to be like an adage for 3 dancers, echoing the structure of the pas de deux, with its entree, adage, variations for danseur and ballerina, and coda. Pas de trois structure does not ordinarily contain an adage.

Apparently, Tchaikovsky being a ballet novice in 1877, the andante sostenuto was supposed to be like an adage for 3 dancers, echoing the structure of the pas de deux, with its entree, adage, variations for danseur and ballerina, and coda. Pas de trois structure does not ordinarily contain an adage.

You just read my mind, Mel. I've always wondered if that first melody following the Entree would be danced by all the dancers, and not necessarily a variation for just one of them, and if this was the case, then who owned this variation, the danseur or one of the two ballerinas...?