This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Suzanne Farrell Ballet webcast 30th September 2010

Last night's webcast from the Millennium Stage had no intertitles, as usual, except for the rehearsal clip of Meditation cut in, but it is available in the archive on the Kennedy Center web site, so maybe those who recognize the dancers could post some information on repertory and cast. While the repertory was familiar to me, I didn't recognize all the dancers myself. Maybe people who went to the performance could help, if there were programs handed out. And from those people, I'd like to know, about how many were in attendance? Always a matter of interest. TSFB usually packs 'em in, I've noticed, when I've been there.

Here's a link to the page in the Kennedy Center Millennium Stage archive where you can see the video:

http://www.kennedy-center.org/video/index/M4407

[On 20 June 2016, as I am updating the link, the video is taking unusually long to load, about two minutes.]

A Guide to the Video

The numbers in [ ] below refer to the running-time indication at the left end of the progress bar below the video play window when each part of the video appears. You may even be able to navigate back and forth in the video either by clicking at different points along the bar or nudging the mark at the end of the bar right or left, although this second method seems to throw off the accuracy of the time reading in some browsers (Safari 5) but not others (FireFox 3), in my experience. If this works, you get to replay favorite parts and then proceed to others!

welcoming remarks by Michael-Ann Mullikin, Ms. Farrell's Assistant

[01:32] "Pas d'Action" from Divertimento No. 15 (Balanchine/Mozart)

Theme and Variations
[03:33] Theme
Matthew Renko and Andrew Kaminski

[04:45] i. Variation
Amy Brandt

[05:53] ii. Variation
Elisabeth Holowchuk

[07:01] iii. Variation
Sara Ivan

[08:08] iv. Variation
Natalia Magnicaballi

[09:20] v. Variation
Michael Cook

[10:26] vi. Variation
Violeta Angelova

Andante
[11:40] i. Pas de deux
Amy Brandt and Andrew Kaminski

[12:51] ii. Pas de deux
Elisabeth Holowchuk and Matthew Renko

[13:54] iii. Pas de deux
Sara Ivan and Michael Cook

[15:25] iv. Pas de deux
Natalia Magnicaballi and Andrew Kaminski

[16:34] v. Pas de deux
Violeta Angelova and Michael Cook

[21:38] Meditation rehearsal, with titles and credits

[27:17] Meditation (Balanchine/Tchaikovsky)
Elisabeth Holowchuk and Michael Cook

[38:26] Agon pas de deux (Balanchine/Stravinsky)
Violeta Angelova and Momchil Mladenov

[46:33] Tzigane (Balanchine/Ravel)
Natalia Magnicaballi, with, at
[50:49], Momchil Mladenov and corps (Sara Ivan,
Amy Brandt, Violeta Angelova, Ted Seymour,
Andrew Kaminski, Matthew Renko)

Edited by Jack Reed

I put up the guide to the video because I thought the dancers deserved to be known; but I think they deserve more than that. They deserve the art they put so much into to be better seen; and one of the camera operators, the one who furnished the "long" shots, had a very good eye for that, showing the dancers moving in their space but still compensating for the fact that dance on screen has less presence than it does in the theatre (if you have a decent seat) by showing less than the entire stage when the dancers were going to use less than that.

But we also got a lot of closeups, including some very unflattering ones of dancers', uh, hips, or of dancers without heads, and so on, interrupting our good view of the dance as though we were in a good seat in the theatre but people in the row in front of us keep standing up and obstructing our view. I think the program would have had more impact if our view of each dance hadn't been so often interrupted like this. It would have been easier - and maybe cheaper to do, too - if the video had mainly been the work of that person with the good eye for dance on screen. (Less expensive with fewer cameras.)

And so, not only the dancers but also the viewers deserved more consistently good camerawork than we got.

I think the Kennedy-Center's Millennium Stage project can be part of a way to match up people who might enjoy performing arts with the performances themselves - another part of it is informing them that the "free samples" the project offers are available - so I'm glad for these webcasts. They could broaden the range of people who they introduce to performing arts, or whose existing interest they nourish further, beyond those who show up in person, but they would do this better the better they show the performances.