This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Week of 9/28

bobbi

It was a very nicely balanced evening at NYCB last night. The program included Dances Concertantes, Tschaikovsky Pas, Barber Violin and the new Estancia. Ashley Bouder and Andrew Veyette were marvelous in the Tschai Pas -- both bravura and elegant at the same time. (Too few couples achieve this.) They were called back four times in front of curtain by a totally captivated audience. (But did I see my favorite Ashley slightly out of breath at the end?) Next came the Barber and all hands -- Megan Fairchild, Sara Mearns, Jared Angle and Charles Askegard -- were terrifc. Megan has a sly sense of humor which she gets to display in this piece, and Sara's creamy line and legato look really work here. The guys were very good too. A nice start to the week.

Hi. I was there last night too. Ramasar replaced Garcia in Dances Concertantes. Not one of my fav Balanchine pieces, to be sure. Ramasar did fine, although he was not as good as either Veyette or Garcia in the role. He probably didn't have much notice. By the way, tonight's program has been changed. Grazioso is removed, and Barber Violin Concerto is inserted in its place. This leads me to believe that someone (Garcia?) is too injured to perform in Grazioso. (Garcia is cast in Luce Nascosta tonight, but his role is not very demanding.) Back to last night's show. Bouder was wonderful in Tschai pdd. The stage was almost too small for her bold attack. Veyette was very good, but my gold standard for the male role is Angel Corella and Damian Woetzel. I had not seen Barber for many years. I recall tha that the last time I saw it Jock Soto and Darci were cast. Jared Angle paled in comparison to my memories of Jock. However, the highlight was the absolutely breathtaking performance of Sara Mearns. I'm a big fan of Estancia, so I enjoyed seeing it again. I like Fairchild, but I thought her dancing was not aggressive or risky enough. I kept picturing in my mind what a Paul Taylor dancer could have done with the role. I also saw last Saturday's matinee. This was the first time I've seen Hyltin in Duo Concertante. She was excellent, but there was not much chemistry with Jared Angle.

P.S.: Garcia was replaced by Adrian D-W is Luce on Wed evening

The program has been changed for tomorrow evening (for the worse). Opus 19 The Dreamer has been deleted, and in its place we get Interplay - one of my least favorite ballets in the rep. Obviously, this was prompted by the G. Garcia illness/injury issue. Very disappointing. I wanted to see J. Taylor in Opus. I assume that they may change the program for next Tuesday, where Garcia is cast in Grazioso. If they plan on making a program change, I wish they would just announce it now, so that I can change my plans. I cannot sit through another Interplay or Barber Violin Concerto this season.

I was there for the 9/30 performance (Serenade, Magic Flute, Stars & Stripes). I really enjoyed Rebecca Krohn's debut role in Serenade, and thought that she, Jenifer Ringer, and Ashley Bouder led a particularly stunning performance. (The audience was primed for it, breaking into applause as the curtain rose to reveal the opening pose.)

I hope Savannah Lowery is okay. She took a nasty spill at the beginning of the 2nd Campaign in Stars & Stripes, barely marked the final few phrases before she could exit, and didn't return for the remainder of the 2nd Campaign. After exchanging some panicked glances, the corps handled it as well as could be expected. Someone else stood in for her for the coda/5th Campaign.

I was also at the Thursday night performance. Hands down the best performance of the night was Ashley Bouder's Russian girl. She hasn't done it in several years, and is even better now than I remember -- her upper body is so expressive, and her jumps are more explosive than ever! Just brilliant. Where Megan Fairchild earlier in the season sort of faded into the background, you always knew when Bouder was onstage! Bravo! My one quibble is with the rather weird looking hair extension she was wearing for the last part of the ballet, when the main women let their hair down. Rebecca Krohn had a decent debut as the Dark Angel but Sara Mearns is the Dark Angel to watch this season, I think.

I found the Magic Flute too cutesie, and too long, although Andrew Veyette and Megan Fairchild both danced well. I don't know about anyone else, and the NYT review didn't mention it, but I thought the "yellowface" depiction of the judge's assistant a truly offensive caricature. Yuck.

Stars and Stripes, as mentioned, was a little discomfiting after Savannah Lowery's nasty spill. I certainly hope she is ok. It was weird to hear the "trumpet solo" and not have a soloist on stage. I thought Savannah was very professional getting off the stage in as dignified a way as possible, and the corps bravely soldiered on. By the end, they had subbed in Gwyneth Muller, even though she hadn't had time to put on the white ballet shoes/socks. I thought Sara Mearns a much improved Liberty Bell -- she was more in control of the allegro bits, and her chaine turns are unparalleled for speed. The pdd was very smooth. I am torn about going to see Bouder as Liberty Bell this afternoon, because that's the only ballet I'd like to see out of the three (I'm not sitting through the Magic Flute again).

Last night, Abbi Stafford debuted in the 1st violin role in Barocco (repeated this afternoon). She did all the steps but this was the first time I'd watched that gorgeous Adagio and felt completely unmoved. Right now, she can't bring the necessary magic to the role. When Wendy Whelan does it you want to cry. When Abbi was doing it I found myself watching the corps instead. :( I'm a little disappointed. Oh, and things weren't helped by a terrible performance from the orchestra and the solo violins. Speaking of the orchestra, has anyone else found Faycal Karoui racing through everything? He conducted a whirlwind Serenade on Thursday and I think it was way too fast for the dancers.

I always enjoy Chaconne, which was on the program last night. I miss Philip Neal, though -- Wendy and Sebastian Marcovici haven't quite got the pdd's down, and dare I say it, I think Wendy might be slipping a bit in her technique in the solo variations. :( She had some trouble with the turns. Erica Pereira has also seemed a little off lately -- I thought her First Campaign not as good as it usually is on Thursday, and last night she and Adam Hendrickson had trouble with a part in Chaconne they've done many times before.

I was there this afternoon. 1st I'd like to say something about the audience, it was very kid heavy. The woman in from of me had 2 children in the 6 to 10 year old range. The boy kept leaning over and whispering to his mom. The girl kept standing, leaning over the rail & sitting - up and down, up and down. The usher had to come in and tell the woman to keep her daughter seated. This was all a bit distracting. Contrast this with the couple next to me who had 2 children. The youngest, I found out was 3. They were great. The 3 year old sat on his dad's lap during Magic Flute. When something "bad" was to happen in the ballet, the little boy would blurt out "Oh, No." It was quite funny and also impressive that he was so engrossed in the piece. Other than these outbursts of concern, the boy and is sister were quiet and still.

On to the ballet. I should say that I got "day of" discount tickets at the Atruim.

Concerto Barocco - I've always liked Abi Stafford in this ballet (did she used to do the other violin?) I though she started out shaky by was fine. Ellen Bar, whose dancing I'm not very familiar with, had a nice attack to her movement. During corps sections I found my eye drawn to Lauren King once again. She bring a radiance to every thing she does and fills each moment. My favorite corps dancer of all time (well she and Gina Pazcoguin).

Magic Flute - I was pleasantly surprised. I found it most enjoyable, of course enhanced by the cries "Oh no" that I mentioned above. Tiler Peck - wonderful technically, musical, good characterization a pleasure all around. De Luz was also terrific. I'd love to see those 2 do Theme and Variations. Maybe they've done it already, but I haven't seen either in that ballet. The whole cast was enjoyable in the ballet. Re the children on stage. I'm always impressed with how these kids know how to be on stage. The entrances in which each little girl gave her hand to her partner was lovely.

Stars & Stripes - Well -- Ashley. Coming onstage bursting with energy and joy. It doesn't get better. Her variations were super fast, clear, charming, amazing ... Andrew Veyette had a lot of good moments, but he didn't sail through it technically and seemed to lose steam along the way. Erica Pereira still looks like the best student in the class, to me. Nice pirouettes, but something is not yet there IMO. Gwyneth Muller replaced Savannah Lowery (a shame that Lowery is injured - this part has her name on it). Muller doesn't have much of a jump and was not very

impressive. Daniel Ubricht never disappoints. Great movement quality, beautiful double tours, he can get to a position just a hair before anyone else and freeze that moment in time for you. He'd be great for the lead, but given the nature of the partnering in the pas de deux there is no woman short enough for him to do it with.

I don't mean to sound nit-picky. I apologize if I do. This was a fun afternoon at the ballet that left me smiling on the way home.

Update on Program Change: The casting sheet in the lobby of the theater indicates that on Tues Oct 5 Barber Violin Concerto will replace Grazioso.

I attended both the afternoon and evening performance on Saturday. I thought the Magic Flute was charming. Tiler Peck and J. DeLuz were wonderful. Bouder was outstanding in S&S. Veyette did a good job, but I often think that his dancing sometimes looks very effortful when he is attempting to perform virtuoso roles that are slightly beyond his technical reach. Muller danced her 2nd campaign role very small. Abi was fine in CB. She still needs time to grow into the role, though. I can't understand why they just debuted T. Reichlin in the role last season, but didn't give her the role again this season. I also would have been interested to see Lydia Wellington, who did the role about a year ago. Oh well. Who knows how casting works over at NYCB.

J. Stafford did very well in his debut in Serenade. Ringer's performance as the Waltz Girl always is full of drama and depth. She was wonderful, as was Bouder as the Russian Girl. Bouder dances the role with such amplitude. Krohn was cast as the Dark Angel. I skipped Interplay. The final ballet on the program was B-S Quartet. Somogyi made her sole appearance for the season in the first movement, and was partnered by Marcovici. Reichlin replaced Lowery in the secondary role. That was luxury casting.Marcovici had problems with his jumps. They were sloppy and poorly executed. In the second movement, Hyltin and J. Angle were wonderful. Janie replaced Megan Fairchild in the third movement, partnered by Veyette. Her dancing looked a bit tentative. Kowrowski and Askegard looked like they were having the time of their lives in the exuberant Rondo.

I don't mean to sound nit-picky. I apologize if I do. This was a fun afternoon at the ballet that left me smiling on the way home.

Don't apologize, vipa! Criticism mixed with praise and praise mixed with criticism enlivens a review and helps us picture the ballet as if we were there. Thank you. I'm smiling now too.

NYCB has again changed the program for Tues. In place of Grazioso they will perform Tchai pdd and Stravinsky Violin Concerto. Casts of those are TBA.

I was there Tuesday, and in the program it looked like Tchai pdd and Stravinsky Violin Concerto were replacing Barber Violin Concerto. I guess there were many stages of plan changes. A few words about the program.

Again I say that Chaconne is a great role for Maria Kowroski and again I say that Lauren King is outstanding as a corps member (she did the lead in the Pas de Cinq) I wonder if she'll ever be promoted. Maybe the co. needs her as the go to corps/demi soloist person, but I think she deserves a promotion and the opportunities it would give her.

Tchai ppd - wonderful with Tiler Peck and Joaquin De Luz. He combines elegance with bravura. She phrased things in wonderful ways that brought a freshness to the piece, and showed her virtuosity. There was a partnering moment in which her epaulement looked like it came out of the Alina Cojocaru play book (a good thing).

Stravinsky Violin Concerto - Love this piece so much. I haven't seen a lot of Krohn and enjoyed her very much in this. She has an intelligent intensity. I'd like to see more of her

Glass Pieces - I've seen this piece several times before. It is a piece that IMO has tremendous impact the first time you see it, with diminishing returns there after (I have to admit that I think this of a few Robbins ballets). I probably wouldn't have stayed for this but I was with 2 young women in their 20's. One had never been to the ballet and the other just a few times, and I thought they'd enjoy this piece. They loved it. They enjoyed each ballet but this piece was their favorite.

One last thing - One of the young women I was with so thrilled by the evening she was giddy. She is from a small town. She was never in a theater of that magnitude, never seen ballet or much live performance at all. She was saving her ticket as a keepsake. On top of it all she had been admiring the photos of the dancers in subways and on bus stops. My 2 conclusions from this are 1. The ads are being noticed by potential new audience members. 2. I take for granted, way too much, the things I regularly experience living in NYC

I was there for part of the program on Tues. (Had to leave after Tchai pdd). Maria was gorgeous, as always, in Chaconne. However, I think Tyler Angle needs some improvement as her partner. There was one rocky moment in particular where she had a difficult turn, and Tyler Angle botched the partnering. A momentary look of fear came over Maria's face. Also, Tyler Angle is much too short to partner Maria.

Tiler Peck's approach to Tchaii pdd is considerably more graceful and lyrical than Bouder's. I felt Bouder was more exciting and thrilling because Bouder is so aggressive in her attack. Virtuosity comes easily to DeLuz, and Tues. night was no exception.

I was there on Tues night as well. I really liked Tyler Angle in Chaconne, nice to see jumps with real height and someone more streamlined than Marcovici do the role (that kind of costume, with poufy sleeves, is just not flattering on Marcovici -- he looks better in the leotard ballets). Abatt, I think I know the difficult turn you're referring to -- if it's the one I'm thinking of (in the opening pdd) then you should have seen how badly Marcovici handled that with Wendy Whelan when they did it last week! I was afraid she was going to fall on her face. Overall I thought Tyler Angle had a great debut. I liked Lauren King in the pas de cinq, but I think Stephanie Zungre is better in that role -- King had trouble with the last double pirouette in tendu, at the very end of the variation.

I liked Krohn and Amasar more than I thought I would in Violin Concerto. The corps was also excellent (esp the men). The only downside to the casting was Ask la Cour. I just don't think he's right for the role, and he's not that strong technically, either. Sterling and Robert Fairchild made a much better pair.

The corps was also great in Glass Pieces -- special mention to Devin Alberda in the last movement -- he was wonderful and really stood out in the crowd. There were some debuts in the opening movement in the soloist roles. I really liked Adrian Danchig-Waring, who even managed to look good in that neon green/yellow outfit. Ellen Bar fell but got right back up (ever since Savannah Lowery fell in S&S and didn't return I get all nervous when someone falls). Wendy was great in the slow movement, very fluid -- minimal partnering with Marcovici, too, which made me glad after witnessing their very rough Chaconne together. Great program overall! I'm not sorry we didn't get a Martins ballet in the middle. :)

Ashley Bouder said on FB that she was doing Stars & Stripes on Sunday with Charles A. Does anyone know if she is also doing Tarentella?

I like Mearns in most everything she does, but S&S is one of her less stellar roles, in my opinion. Having Bouder in S&S today would be a great way to end the season.

Ashley Bouder said on FB that she was doing Stars & Stripes on Sunday with Charles A. Does anyone know if she is also doing Tarentella?

I like Mearns in most everything she does, but S&S is one of her less stellar roles, in my opinion. Having Bouder in S&S today would be a great way to end the season.

When asked on that question on FB Bouder said Peck was doing Tarentella

I attended yesterday's matinee, the final performance of the Fall season. I thought Plainspoken was tedious. It wasn't awful, but it was not something I would seek out again either. I also think it's a shame that Somogyi, who rarely performs anymore, was wasting her time in this ballet. On a happier note, Bouder was fantastic in S&S. Tiler Peck replaced Bouder in Tarantella. She was a delight. Danny Ulbricht was on fire. Please give this guy some more roles! Krohn was marvelous as the new lead in Glass Pieces. She is looking more and more like principal material with every new role she undertakes. Craig Hall, her partner, still needs some polish in the lead role.