This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jose Limon/Limon Dance Company

Are any of the Limon works you've seen recently good possibilties for other companies? I can imagine a couple of companies which might lke to try Emperor Jones.

Well, if you're asking about works that ballet companies could reasonably dance, my short list would include:

The Moor's Pavane (Already entrenched at the international level)

Chaconne (Limon's great solo for the male dancer)

Mazurkas (Almost every critic who saw New York Theatre Ballet perform this in 2008 loved it. I think our own Leigh Witchel was the exception.)

A Choreographic Offering

I thought it was very brave of Nikolaj Hubbe to program The Unsung for the Danes but I anticipated mixed reviews for it and sure enough the reviews I read didn't confound my expectations. This one may be too modern dance for the ballet audience even though you could really show off your male dancers in it. (Would love to see ABT program this for its corps guys.)

I received the latest mailer from Kaatsbaan today in which they list the Historic Dance Theatre Lectures scheduled for the Summer. Here are the Limon-related ones:

Thursday, June 30

Melinda Coppel & the Limon Dance Company

Jose Limon, Modern Dance, and the State Department's Agenda: Dance as Cold War Cultural Propaganda in the 1950s

The Limon Dance Company toured under the auspices of the State Department in 1954 and 1957. Coppel discusses details of the company's visits at various tour stops as well as the company's impressions of some of the cities visited.

Thursday, August 4

Lynn Garafola & the Limon Dance Company

Dialogue on Dance: The Art of Jose Limon

Lynn Garafola will discuss the choreographer's life and art focusing on Missa Brevis (1958). The lecture will include performances of excerpts by members of the company, introduced by artistic director Carla Maxwell.

The Moor's Pavane in Tajikistan!

I wonder if this version was sanctioned or if it's one of the various bootleg versions that have floated around the Soviet Union (and then its successor states) since the Limon Company toured the Soviet Union in 1972.

This is the last post for this season. If you enjoy these Limon-related threads, please let me know via PM. There isn't a lot of feedback to these so, if I'm just writing for myself, I may let it go for 2011-12.

I'm with Amy -- I haven't really participated in this conversation, but I've followed it with interest. Please do continue.

As for the Tajik production of MP -- I don't know that it's been staged by someone from the Limon Company, but it certainly doesn't seem like it. A bit too decorative and lightweight.

OK, so I lied . . . this will be my last Limon post of the season:

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2011/07/25/2011-07-25_young_dancemakers_company_brings_top_high_school_dancers_together_to_perform_thr.html

I think I saw these kids at the Friday night Limon performance I saw in New York in June. Interesting that they are learning Limon's Psalm -- not a dance for kids, I would think.

In any event, here are some photos of Limon company senior dancer Francisco Ruvalcaba teaching them Psalm:

As for the Tajik production of MP -- I don't know that it's been staged by someone from the Limon Company, but it certainly doesn't seem like it. A bit too decorative and lightweight.

I had the exact same reaction. This looks like yet another bootleg version of The Moor's Pavane popping up in what was the former Soviet Union. I wish a publication like Ballet Review would publish an overview of The Moor's Pavane in the former Soviet Union as there have been sanctioned productions (i.e. the Mikhailovsky) and what seems like a whole slew of unsanctioned productions.

I wish a publication like Ballet Review would publish an overview of The Moor's Pavane in the former Soviet Union as there have been sanctioned productions (i.e. the Mikhailovsky) and what seems like a whole slew of unsanctioned productions.

Write Marvin Hoshino and suggest it.