This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYC Season

There are ticket prices further down on the press release:

Tickets: $225, 125, 95, 80, 50, 40, 30, 20

Time to raid the piggy bank

Thanks!

Actually they will be selling quite a few tickets at the low end of the price spectrum, for which I'm pretty thankful.

I seem to remember the cheapest tickets when the Bolshoi and Royal Ballet visited the Met 7 or so years ago to be quite a bit steeper, like $35 for Family Circle.

So someone is taking pity on my budget!

I just realized: It's a Shchedrin festival! Anna and LHH are both his original scores, and Carmen is his arrangement. This has to have been intentional. The release gives no reason (e.g., special birthday) though, except a note that Gergiev favors this composer.

I just realized: It's a Shchedrin festival! Anna and LHH are both his original scores, and Carmen is his arrangement. This has to have been intentional. The release gives no reason (e.g., special birthday) though, except a note that Gergiev favors this composer.

I wonder if Schedrin and La Maya may appear. I'm getting emotional just envisioning it. They're in great health. last year Alonso took a bow from the Grand Tier, maybe this year... ;)

There are ticket prices further down on the press release:

Tickets: $225, 125, 95, 80, 50, 40, 30, 20 ....

just came back from the ticket office, the cheapest was $50 (family circle) or partial views for $40. Orchestra is $125. But on the bright side - i've got good seats

Me too...although I did mine online. We can see exact seat locations & I am very, very happy. Of course, the casting can and usually does change but, for now, I'm all-set for Obraztsova's LHH matinee, Kondaurova's Anna and the two mixed bills. (Yeah!!!)

Me too...although I did mine online. We can see exact seat locations & I am very, very happy. Of course, the casting can and usually does change but, for now, I'm all-set for Obraztsova's LHH matinee, Kondaurova's Anna and the two mixed bills. (Yeah!!!)

For some reason, I couldn't see the exact seat location online and had to call the box office. Got the seats I wanted though and am practically bancrupt as a result :helpsmilie:

My cousin left me a message that he is getting married in July in the New York area -- :flowers: to him and his fiancee -- and I was poking around to see what was in NYC on either side, and the Mariinsky opens the day after his wedding!

I'll be there Monday ("Anna Karenina") and Tuesday ("Little Humpbacked Horse"), and it will be great to see everyone who's there.

I wasn't able to select seats, but once I chose a section/price and the number of tickets -- beware: the system defaults to "2" -- I saw my exact seat locations. If you reject the seats and remove from the cart, I don't know if the system is smart enough to remember what you rejected, or like Ticket Monster's system, will keep offering the same seat until it's assigned to someone else.

Haha - yes, WEDNESDAY! Please post or pm if a meet-up point is arranged.

Great idea about meeting (NYSusan & her ballet friends usually do that). I've tickets for every performance (call me crazy, but They are my MOST favorite) will be happy to meet any day. Happy St. Patric

Hubby & I are game for a meeting on Wednesday or anytime after that, during the run.

We are really lucky. I just realized that London will not be seeing Kondaurova's Anna Karenina - only NYC. Also, I don't believe that Obraztsova's Tsar Maiden (LHH) has been seen anywhere outside Russia. [LHH is not on the London schedule.] And the company rarely performs Symphony in C, even at home. We are truly blessed.

Count me and my hubby in too for a meeting at any time during the run, including but not limited to the Wed. matinee. I also splurged on multiple performances. Looking forward to seeing other Ballet Talkers.

I can't wait until the New York spring ballet season starts up on May 3 with NYCB. We have an embarrassment of riches this season, with 6 weeks of NYCB, 8 weeks of ABT, one week of Royal Danish and one week of Kirov.

Hello -- I am a relative novice to ballet, and have seen the Kirov only once before (the Fokine Triple Bill, some years ago on tour in Boston). I'll be in New York for a few days next month when the Kirov will be in town. If I had to choose one performance to see, between Vishneva in Anna K and Obraztsova in LHH, which would you recommend? I know that's probably not much to go on (in terms of making a recommendation), but I am a fairly blank slate when it comes to ballet, with no strongly defined tastes -- yet. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Well Vishneva and Obraztsova are very different dancers and the ballets themselves are very different. Vishneva, who has an inherent sense of theater and drama, will be at home in the tragedy of Anna Karenina. Obraztsova, petite and ultra classical, is well cast in LHH, which is more of a fairytale.

Perhaps you have done so already, but clips of both dancers in the ballets are available to view on youtube. Maybe that will help you make a selection between the ballets as you will get a feel for each dancer and the ballet itself. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice though--both dancers would be my personal first choices to see in their respective ballets.

Please let us know your impressions after.

Hello -- I am a relative novice to ballet, and have seen the Kirov only once before (the Fokine Triple Bill, some years ago on tour in Boston). I'll be in New York for a few days next month when the Kirov will be in town. If I had to choose one performance to see, between Vishneva in Anna K and Obraztsova in LHH, which would you recommend? I know that's probably not much to go on (in terms of making a recommendation), but I am a fairly blank slate when it comes to ballet, with no strongly defined tastes -- yet. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

My 2 cents (or rather $20-30:-)) Why not to do both? if money is the issue, you can get either a standing ticket or partial view one (I took one ticket like that for LHH for a matinee ;-)) You live only once ;-))

Don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I would see Lopatkina. She's a living legend and some day you will spend many-many cold winter nights telling your grand-children about that time you saw her live.

Vishneva can be seen on a regular basis dancing with ABT during their NY season, and Obraztsova is quite young, while every chance to see Lopatkina on our shores can easily turn out to be the last one.

My second choice would be Kondaurova, but that's just my personal opinion :)

In any case, with luxurious casting like what we are being offered by Mariinsky this summer, you simply cannot lose - all these ballerinas are absolutely great.

Don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I would see Lopatkina. She's a living legend and you will spend many-many hours telling your grand-children about that time you saw her live.

Ah, you're ABSOLUTELY right. Lopatkina is a MUST see. She doesn't have the same PR (and US agent) as Vishneva, but she's called "the soul of russian ballet" - ah, i wish she'd do the dying swan again....

I'd say, of what's announced - the cast is (promised to be) great..

Don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I would see Lopatkina. She's a living legend and some day you will spend many-many cold winter nights telling your grand-children about that time you saw her live.

Vishneva can be seen on a regular basis dancing with ABT during their NY season, and Obraztsova is quite young, while every chance to see Lopatkina on our shores can easily turn out to be the last one.

My second choice would be Kondaurova, but that's just my personal opinion :)

In any case, with luxurious casting like what we are being offered by Mariinsky this summer, you simply cannot lose - all these ballerinas are absolutely great.

I agree! I'm totally splurging and seeing multiple performances for just this reason.

I've only seen Vishneva and Obraztsova live (and loved them both), so I can't really make a recommendation, but I will also point out that Kondaurova won a Golden Mask award for her "Anna Karenina."

Regarding Vishneva vs Obraztsova, I agree with the others, see them both if you can! But Waelsung is right; Vishneva does dance with ABT in NYC, whereas it is quite rare to see the others in full-length ballets in NYC. (And perhaps if the house is relatively packed to see Obraztsova in LHH, the management might feel more inclined to give her the promotion to principal she so deserves. :wink: )

I went to purchase tickets today at the Met box office and when I asked about some locations that didn't seem to be available the guy advised me to try the Avery Fisher Hall box office where they are also selling tickets for the Mariinsky performances. He said they had to give half their inventory to AFH because this is a Lincoln Center production and that the two ticket processing systems are separate from each other. I bought my tickets at AFH and don't know that I got any better location but I was not going to visit the Met box office a second time.