This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYC Season

Thank you, bingham. I was unable to find any mention of a US tour for 2011 on the Mariinsky's website. Even a google search for "mariinsky, new york, 2011, humpbacked" turned up nothing. Could you post a link please, or say which page you found it on? As you know, New Yorkers are eager for all available details.

Thanks.

I found a news release on the Mariinsky site which says they will be in New York at the Met next summer, but they don't include any dates:

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/pressa/reliz_2010_09_14/

"Highlights of the Ballet Company’s touring schedule this year include the French premiere of the ballet The Little Humpbacked Horse at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, a tour to South Korea, the traditional series of winter performances in Baden-Baden (Germany) and Washington (USA), a spring tour to Canada, visiting Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa and summer performances at the world’s ballet capitals – New York and London. At the Metropolitan Opera in New York the programme will feature, among other works, ballets to music by Rodion Shchedrin with choreography by Alexei Ratmansky – The Little Humpbacked Horse and Anna Karenina."

As ABT's season closes July 9, presumably it's after that. Has anybody seen dates?

I tried searching the Lincoln Center site. Nothing about next summer, but I did turn up a one-time performance October 23 that looks interesting:

http://www.lincolncenter.org/show_events_list.asp?eventcode=28252

INTERNATIONAL CONCERTS presents "KORIFEI"

BOLSHOI OPERA and BALLET SUPERSTARS

Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:30 PM

Avery Fisher Hall

Best news I've heard in a long time! Especially curious about "other works" :)

Re: possible dates. The Stars of the White Nights festival runs until July 31 which leaves August as the most likely month for the NYC visit. Unless they're planning to split the corps and fly some major dancers back and forth.

It's also interesting to find out who's organizing the tour. I think in all the North-American cities, except for Washington D.C., the Mariinsky is being represented by Sergey Danilyan's company Ardani Artists. If they do indeed run the season at the Met we should expect exorbitant ticket prices and constant bait-and-switch casting changes.

Still, it's wonderful and very exciting news. I just hope they bring some classical works to compliment their Ratmansky galore and let Kondaurova do at least one Anna Karenina. I get to see it - I can die a happy man :)

"Anna Karenina" will be awesome with Kondaurova. So far, there are only three Annas: Vishneva, Lopatkina and Kondaurova; and the debuts were in that order. During the White Nights Festival Katya was reportedly the best of the bunch & the dancers' favorite. The company will also add Balanchine's "Agon" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" to the rep this season.

Uh-oh, I just looked at the press release, and it seems like it's been modified! There's no mention of summer performances in New York at all! The new text reads:

Highlights of the Ballet Company’s touring schedule this year include the French premiere of the ballet The Little Humpbacked Horse at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, a tour to South Korea, the traditional series of winter performances in Baden-Baden (Germany) and Washington (USA), a spring tour to Canada, visiting Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa and summer performances in London.

Does that mean they're not coming to New York??! That's truly disappointing...

That's too bad, I would really have loved to see the new Little Humpbacked Horse. But I guess some other time....

In DC, they're putting on Giselle this winter, that's not too bad a trip for me but I don't think I can trek down to DC for their Giselle, I'm not all that happy with the overall performance level the company seems to be presenting. I'd go for a novelty but not one of their older productions. A bit too routine, if it was in NY , I might go, but not down to DC.

I suspect the NY ticket prices would have been Ardani Exorbitant so perhaps I can use the cash for other things.

Isn't the Danish Royal touring the US next year?

Has anyone seen the exact dates announced, other than "summer"? I can't find them on the Lincoln Center Festival site, although it looks like they might announce more information Tuesday: http://new.lincolncenter.org/live/index.php/lcf-10-cal-genre

Has anyone seen the exact dates announced, other than "summer"? I can't find them on the Lincoln Center Festival site, although it looks like they might announce more information Tuesday: http://new.lincolncenter.org/live/index.php/lcf-10-cal-genre

The full schedule is supposed to be announced March 8. I just wonder if it will include the casts (doubtful) and if yes, will the announced casts hold (almost impossible).

Well casts for Anna Karenina are surely Vishneva, Lopatkina, or Kondourova...they are the only ones dancing it currently. LLHH is usually Somova or Tereshkina (though I think Obratzsova recently debuted?). Carmen has been Lopatkina, Vishneva, or Kondourova so far. Luckily for NYers these are some of the harder ballets for Mariinsky management to mess around with!

What a great rep to bring over. Very jealous.

These are wonderful developments. It would have been great to have seen a Petipa-era classic but that would have meant dealing with more elaborate sets, paying higher union wages, etc. More importantly, we will be assured of seeing the very finest dancers, with the announced works. I can see now that I won't be saving money over the summer. :)

re. Casting - Adding to what ksk04 has cited, the Matvienki have also danced in LHH and Carmen Suite, though not this season, so far. Following is the casting for these ballets since the season began, in Sept 2010:

LHH - Somova/Sarafanov (the latter has since left);

Terioshkina/Schklyarov

Obraztsova/Matvienko (or Obraztsova/Sergeev later on)

Matvienko & Matvienko scheduled for May but danced it prior season

NOTE: Kondaurova or Tkachenko usually dance the Mare

Carmen Suite - Vishneva/Kuznetsov/Matvienko;

Lopatkina/Ermakov/Zverev; (Korsuntsev in place of Ermakov in Baden-Baden)

Golub/Ivanchenko/Kuznetsov (or Ivanchenko);

Kondaurova/Smekalov/Kuznetsov

Nioradze/Kuznetsov/Korsakov (or Kolb) NOTE: Nioradze has danced this A LOT recently.

Anna K - Vishneva/Baimuradov/Zverev/Ivanova/Ostreikovskaya/Gumerova;

Lopatkina/Berezhnoi/Smekalov/Obraztsova/Kasenkova/Iosifidi;

Kondaurova led a 3rd cast last season...haven't seen her leading one this season, so far

Symphony in C - Going back to the 2009/10 season, as this has yet to be performed in the current yr: Somova/Korsakov or Terioshkina/Fadeev lead the 1st Mvmt, Lopatkina/Korsuntsev or Kolegova/Korsuntsev (and Kondaurova? - cannot find but recall reading)the 2nd, Matvienki or Osmolkina/Schklyarov or Evseeva/Styopin the 3rd, Obraztsova/Timofeev or Gonchar/Korsakov the 4th.

Edited to add - Actual casting for the LC Festival is now known. Follow the link below, posted by California. The above is now just an FYI, for sake of comparison (St Petersburg casts vs NYC).

Fabulous casting overall. I'm in 7th Heaven that Obraztsova gets a Little Humpbacked Horse AND 3rd Mvmt of Symph in C with Schklyarov at both performances of that work. Kondaurova gets an Anna Karenina and a 2nd mvmt of C, too. Now I know that I won't be saving ca$h this summer.

Biggest surprise: No Matvienki? They must have commitments elsewhere.

Tix are on sale now to the Friends of Lincoln Center, then to the general public next week (on the 14th).

Wow, insanely good casting. Lopatkina and Vishneva have really re-established their top places in the Mariinsky tour hierarchy with the tours they've participated in this year. Wonderful!

I agree with Natalie it's odd about Denis/Anastasia especially since they will be on-hand in London immediately following.

Still no Osmolkina in sight.

Any info on ticket prices? Between ABT, NYCB, Royal Danish, and Maryinsky I am going broke.

Anyone knows the running times of AK & LHH?

BTW, Avery Fisher & Alice Tully box offices, not the Met, are going to handle the ticket sales on March 14.

Running times are on the press release (p. 6): http://www.lincolncenter.org/Press_Release/Festival_2011_Announcement_Release_FINAL_3-7.pdf

July 11, 13 and 14 at 8 p.m.

Anna Karenina (U.S. premiere)

Ballet in Two Acts after the novel by Leo Tolstoy

Music by Rodion Shchedrin

Choreography by Alexei Ratmansky

Running time (approx.): One hour, 45 minutes with one intermission

July 12 at 8 p.m.; July 13 and 16 at 2 p.m.

The Little Humpbacked Horse (U.S. premiere)

Music by Rodion Shchedrin

Choreography by Alexei Ratmansky

Libretto by Maxim Isaev after the tale by Pyotr Yershov

Running time (approx.): Two hours, 15 minutes with one intermission

On p. 4 of the same release, it says that the Met will handle ticket sales for the Mariinsky:

"Tickets for the Mariinsky Ballet may also be purchased at the

Metropolitan Opera Box Office, 64th Street and Broadway, on the Metropolitan Opera website

(www.metoperafamily.org) or by calling 212-362-6000."

I can't find any info on ticket prices.

Osmolkina must still be out on her maternity leave. She has not danced even at home for about two years. However, I am a bit troubled that Olesya Novikova is nowhere in sight on tours and rarely dances at the Mariinsky, although she IS dancing Juliet tonight at the MT, opposite the Romeo of another non-tourer, Igor Kolb....and other top roles going to other non-tourers, e.g., Ilya Kuznetsov as Tybalt and Alexander Sergeev as Mercutio. Novikova is preparing to star as Raymonda at La Scala in October, in the premiere of Vikharev's reconstruction of the 1898 original Petipa. However, it is troubling that certain First Soloists in their absolute 'prime' are being kept off prestigious tours. Is Novikova now being "Dumchenkoed" because she is the partner/wife of Sarafanov, who moved to the Maly-Mussorgsky Theater in January? Hmmm.

Osmolkina must still be out on her maternity leave. She has not danced even at home for about two years. However, I am a bit troubled that Olesya Novikova is nowhere in sight on tours and rarely dances at the Mariinsky, although she IS dancing Juliet tonight at the MT, opposite the Romeo of another non-tourer, Igor Kolb....and other top roles going to other non-tourers, e.g., Ilya Kuznetsov as Tybalt and Alexander Sergeev as Mercutio. Novikova is preparing to star as Raymonda at La Scala in October, in the premiere of Vikharev's reconstruction of the 1898 original Petipa. However, it is troubling that certain First Soloists in their absolute 'prime' are being kept off prestigious tours. Is Novikova now being "Dumchenkoed" because she is the partner/wife of Sarafanov, who moved to the Maly-Mussorgsky Theater in January? Hmmm.

I didn't know Osmolkina was out on maternity. I knew she had injured herself badly about 2 seasons ago and was worried she was still off with that. Hopefully she makes a quicker return to the stage than some of her other colleagues on maternity leave!

I was worried this would happen to Novikova after Sarafanov left the company...perhaps she doesn't want to tour with such a young child still (though the October La Scala date isn't much further off than these summer performances)?

Novikova has danced at least one full Sleeping Beauty and a couple of Don Qs this season at home + last night's Juliet. I don't think that capability has anything to do with it. :) She wouldn't be the first female principal to bring a child along on tour; it is done.

By the way, Daria Pavlenko was finally given her first full-evening (3-act) role in pointe shoes since coming back: Cinderella on Feb 24, while the bulk of the company was headed to Ottawa. The Mariinsky web is pretty good about updating the playbill if there are substitutions in major roles. In other words, she must have danced that night.