This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2010-11 Season

According to the NY Times (in the upcoming Fall Season Preview portion of the Arts & Leisure section), ABT will present Ratmansky’s “Bright Stream” , Frederic Franklin’s staging of “Coppelia”, new ballets by Ratmansky and Wheeldon. There will also be a revival of Antony Tudor’s “Shadowplay.” And "there will be swan maidens, wicked stepsisters and sleeping beauties aplenty."

And "there will be swan maidens, wicked stepsisters and sleeping beauties aplenty."

Sounds like there may be a Cinderella in the works. I wonder if they will revive the Kudelka version or do something different. As I recall both Reyes and Abrera had big successes with the Kudelka. And it's something that Julie Kent should still be able to be able to do a fine job with. (Hearing the inevitable but still sad news of Carreno's upcomming retirement, I thought of Julie; I think she is the only 40+ year old principal left in the company)

The NYT indicates that the period for the ABT Met 2011 season is May 16 through July 10.

Alistair M asks: "How much has Mr. Ratmansky been shaped by Soviet thinking? Will his 'Nutracker' reflect the Soviet view that 'The Nutcracker' is about a girl's growth from childhood to maturity? The traditional 'Nutcracker' suspends narrative in its second half. Will this 'Nutcracker' try to impose plot suspense .... on a score that resists it? If the production succeeds, it could prove a breakthrough not only for Mr. Ratmansky and Ballet Theater but also for the currently much-vexed cause of ballet as theatrical drama."