This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jimi Hendrix and George Frideric Handel

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the untimely death of Jimi Hendrix who used to live at 23 Brook Street, the house where the great baroque composer George Frideric Handel also lived. As a great lover of Handel's music who wasn't averse to listening to Hendrix way back then, I've visited the Brook Street Handel Museum and there were always exhibits commemorating Hendrix's tenure too, so the article is a bit misleading in that respect.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/gallery/2010/aug/24/jimi-hendrix-in-britain-exhibition-handel-house-museum#/?picture=366059514&index=0

For those unfamiliar with Hendrix this article tells you most of what you need to know about his career. Listen to Purple Haze and you'll understand what the fuss is about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/aug/08/jimi-hendrix-40th-anniversary-death

Thanks, Mashinka. Rather unnerving to think that all the original members of the Experience are gone.

It's a nice gesture for the Handel Museum to note Jimi's residence.

The Guardian article managed to avoid the usual phrase "drowned in his own vomit," which invariably makes me wonder about those, like the Spinal Tap drummer, who drown in someone else's.

Oh, you should, it's real history. Tell us if you do. The studio was state of the art and innovative at the time, as the article notes. (Electric Lady has a cameo appearance in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.)

The article also notes that another Hendrix album is in the works. Oh God.

Rather unnerving to think that all the original members of the Experience are gone.

Isn't it now? I treasure my 1970's memory of Mitch Mitchell in a jumpsuit, backing Hendrix imitator April Lawton. What a sad end he had. It's better to burn out than it is to rust, as another rock'n roller says.

The Guardian article managed to avoid the usual phrase "drowned in his own vomit," which invariably makes me wonder about those, like the Spinal Tap drummer, who drown in someone else's.

Thanks for the laugh, poignant as it is. I'm going to have to watch that film again, speakers turned up to 11!