• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Aaahh...Now I can see something. Both days the leads of T&V have been given to four American-born dancers. I don't think this is coincidence, and I think this is a great idea. I mean...the Cuban audience will be seeing an American company, and then it's fair that they're presented with genuine products of American ballet schools by American born dancers. Considering that they're a minority in ABT-(only Kent, Wiles, Hallberg and Stiefel are American-born among the Principals, and Kent and Stiefel probably somehow out of the picture for bravura variations), then the list is even shorter, so that's why soloist Stearns and Corps Boylston came into the picture.

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

BTW...this is not official news, but I think it won't hurt anybody. One of my friends from Havana told me that the performances of ABT were sold in two days ENTIRELY...the Karl Marx Theater of Miramar at its full capacity...(5500 seats) :smilie_mondieu: (So get ready, Michelle!! :thumbsup: )

#18 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

Aaahh...Now I can see something. Both days the leads of T&V have been given to four American-born dancers. I don't think this is coincidence, and I think this is a great idea. I mean...the Cuban audience will be seeing an American company, and then it's fair that they're presented with genuine products of American ballet schools by American born dancers. Considering that they're a minority in ABT-(only Kent, Wiles, Hallberg and Stiefel are American-born among the Principals, and Kent and Stiefel probably somehow out of the picture for bravura variations), then the list is even shorter, so that's why soloist Stearns and Corps Boylston came into the picture.

But Gillian Murphy is also American and she is - FAR AND AWAY their best T&V ballerina. I would go so far as to say that she is one of the best I've ever seen in this role. I know, technically she was born in England but that is a mere technicality, she's as American as apple pie. I don't know what's keeping her from the Havana performances, but it's a pity.

#19 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

But Gillian Murphy is also American and she is - FAR AND AWAY their best T&V ballerina. I would go so far as to say that she is one of the best I've ever seen in this role. I know, technically she was born in England but that is a mere technicality, she's as American as apple pie. I don't know what's keeping her from the Havana performances, but it's a pity.

You're totally right, Susan. When I first checked in Wikipedia all ABT's dancers profiles, I realized about Murphy's British background-(which really surprised me, since I always thought she was American-born). For what I've seen of her-(and for what I know about the Cuban audience general taste)-I bet with no doubt that she would have become Havana's darling right away. So yes...it is a real pity that she's not going...

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

Some pics of the performances.
http://www.renomassola.blogspot.com/

#21 sunshine_d

sunshine_d

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:17 AM

Just returned from Cuba last night, where I saw 4 performances as part of the International Ballet Festival, including ABT's performance on Thursday, and other performances by Jose Manuel Carreno/Sarah Lane and Paloma Herrera/David Hallberg. The entire experience was so incredible. ABT performed both nights to a sold out crowd at the Karl Marx Theater. It was a shame that they could not perform at the Gran Teatro but the venue really is too small for an event of this magnitude. The audience loved every moment, as did I.

ABT was featured widely in the Cuban news-- they showed clips of their arrival where Julie Kent spoke of how wonderful it was to be in Cuba with Carreno and Xiomara Reyes-- and how she hoped that they could return in the future to stage an entire production. Ojala! Wednesday night's performance was televised live as was Saturday's performance (I think) which featured both ABT dancers and Cuban dancers, though not together.

#22 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

Portia Siegelbaum reports for CBS News from Havana.

And from TeleSur...

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

That sounds wonderful, sunshine_d!

#24 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:25 AM

Has anyone seen footage of Isabella Boyston in Theme & Variations with D. Halberg? There is a small snipet in the Cuban Broadcast, but not much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):