This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT to appear in Havana CubaFirst visit in 50 years

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:58 AM

http://www.independe...ba-2056318.html

I know this was announced by ABT(See website)last month, but the news has only just hit our shores.

#2 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/news/ballet-tour-brings-us-one-step-closer-to-cuba-2056318.html

I know this was announced by ABT last month but it has only just hit our shores.

I'm so happy for my balletomane friends in La Habana...Thanks Leonid for the heads up!!

[size="3"][font="Comic Sans MS"]"The opportunity to return 50 years later almost fell apart after the Obama White House balked at allowing outside American sponsorship to help pay for it."[/font][/size]
:(

[size="3"][font="Comic Sans MS"]"When it seemed that the New York-based company would have to decline the historic invitation, the Cuban government stepped forward and pledged to accommodate the company's members while in Havana at no charge."[/font][/size]
:)

#3 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

Indeed, this is wonderful news. I'm hoping that the powers-that-be in Washington will loosen up in their approach to cultural exchanges with Cuba, and in the meantime it's marvelous that the Cuban government has made the ABT's appearance possible. Octavio Roca's new book, Cuban Ballet has been published at a very fortuitous moment.

#4 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

November 3 and 4 programs:

Theme and Variations
Cast to be announced

Seven Sonatas
Cast to be announced

Pas de Deux (which one TBA)
Cast to be announced

Fancy Free
Cast to be announced

November 5 and 6:
Program TBA

#5 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

Wow...Theme and Variations...now, THAT'S going to be interesting to find the outcome...considering the knowledge of this ballet by Cuban balletomanes...in its Alonso's version, IMO... :wink:

#6 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

Wow...Theme and Variations...now, THAT'S going to be interesting to find the outcome...considering the knowledge of this ballet by Cuban balletomanes...in its Alonso's version, IMO... :wink:

Casting of the triple-bill is in the ABT website.I Boylston is debuting in T and V. w/ D Hallberg :clapping: :clapping:

#7 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

Casting of the triple-bill is in the ABT website.I Boylston is debuting in T and V. w/ D Hallberg :clapping: :clapping:

That's the casting for T&V on the second evening. The opening night has Wiles and Stearns in T&V. It looks like some sloppy editing on the ABT site. Both mixed bill Havana programs have Seven Sonatas being performed twice. Or is that really how the program is laid out?

T&V,
Seven Sonatas
virtuoso PDD/PDT
Seven Sonatas
Fancy Free

Unusual program, no?

#8 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

I can almost see my friends the sharks X-raying Wiles during the famous first super fast variation in T&V... :FIREdevil: She better delivers her 150 %...!!

#9 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

I can almost see my friends the sharks X-raying Wiles during the famous first super fast variation in T&V... :FIREdevil: She better delivers her 150 %...!!

Well, perhaps they should get their files ready. Wiles is very well schooled but I find her a very dull, leaden dancer.
To me she has a good technique for this type of rep but it doesn't add up to much. I've seen her several times in T&V partnered by Hallberg and I just don't have particularly good memories of this. (ducking)

#10 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

Well, perhaps they should get their files ready. Wiles is very well schooled but I find her a very dull, leaden dancer.
To me she has a good technique for this type of rep but it doesn't add up to much. I've seen her several times in T&V partnered by Hallberg and I just don't have particularly good memories of this. (ducking)

I really wish Murphy would have done the honors here...

#11 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Agreed. I saw both Wiles and Murphy in T&V around the same time and there was NO QUESTION in my mind which dancer I preferred.

#12 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

Agreed. I saw both Wiles and Murphy in T&V around the same time and there was NO QUESTION in my mind which dancer I preferred.

I guess Murphy isn't going. Looks like a small group. Are they really taking Riccetto to do Fancy Free only?

#13 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

Didn't Sarah Lane also do T&V with Cornejo? I remember that I like her performance, but Cornejo's partnering was problematic.

#14 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

Are Americans still prohibited, absent very special circumstances, from traveling to Cuba? It sounds like going to see this performance in Cuba would not be easy for most Americans.

#15 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

Are Americans still prohibited, absent very special circumstances, from traveling to Cuba?

Sadly, that's still the case...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):