This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Streets with dance-related names

Just near the Opera Garnier in Paris, there's a small square called "place Diaghilev". It made me wonder if there were other dance related names in Paris. I found a rue Balanchine in the 13th arrondissement (near the metro station Chevaleret)... and that's all. No other dancer or choreographer!

However, there are many streets with names of composers: for example, there's a Place Igor Stravinsky and a rue Adolphe Adam in the 4th arrondissement, a rue Tchaikovski in the 18th arrondissement, a rue Prokofiev and a rue Delibes in the 16th arrondissement, a rue Ravel in the 17th arrondissement... Also there's a rue Jacques Rouche (former director of the Paris Opera in the 30s) in the 9th arrondissement.

In Marseille, there's a rue Marius Petipa.

Is it common in NYC to have streets with the name of some people who're still alive (like Arthur Mitchell)? In France, usually people have to be dead for some time before their name is given to some streets (I don't know if it's a law, or just a habit). But I've read that there were some schools with names of living people (for example there's a Barbara Hendricks (?) junior high school...)

Cargill, in St.Petersburg we have a Theatrical Square with Mariinsky Theatre and Conservatory on it. The real name of The Theatre Street(where Vaganova School) is The Street of Zodchy Rossi, who builded all this complex. And, unfortunately, not any streets with dancers or choreographers names on it in St.Petersburg, but a lot of composeres, so, opera lovers again won!

Andrei.

Estelle, I don't know about modern-day NYC, but they would be falling back on a fine old New York tradition to name streets after living folk. To name only a few, Lispenard Street marks the former driveway of a wealthy family by that name, Houston Street is not named for the Texan hero, but for an early NYC Congressman whose house was at its end, and there is no Beach on Beach Street since Lewis Beach, the Congressman, changed districts and moved upstate.

Greetings from San Francisco!

I haven't been posted since mid 1999 ... but it's 2000 already, and why not, just a casual stop to say "Hi" to everybody.

Manhattnik, I do pass by that Isadora Dancan

Alley a few times a year.

There is a very old apartment near by

(may be next to the alley) has a metal

plaque posted on the entrance wall saying something like Isadora Dancan was born here ... and etc.

Estelle, I thought I should mention this to

you even it's nothing to do with your topic.

SF Ballet had a Opening Gala last night (I couldn't go ... sigh.)

Our local paper printed a color photo of Lucia Lacarra and Yuri Possokhov dancing a pas de deux from Roland Petit's "Proust, ou Les Intermittences du Coeur" with a wonderful

review!