This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Starbucks of the Stars

The Starbucks on 67th and Columbus Ave. near Lincoln Center is certainly the Starbucks of the Stars. This morning Sara Mearns was behind me in line - without makeup but totally Sara Mearns! Her picture as the Lilac Fairy is posted on my kitchen cabinet. It's so amazing, being able to see my ballet heroes as normal people. I've also seen Damian Woetzel there when he was still in the company, and many, many other dancers. I also saw Sara Mearns and Amar Ramasar together in the other Starbucks, at 63rd and Broadway, near the theater. Since I pass Juilliard on my way home, I recently saw Janie Taylor and Sebastian Marcovici walking past me. At a performance last season, Janie Taylor and Rebecca Krohn were sitting together near the elevators during intermission. Any other ballet sightings of note?

If you want to spot nearly everyone at NYCB, you can't do much better than the Emerald Inn, on 69th and Columbus. I've been there only a few times after performances, but each time it was packed with dancers blowing off steam, and last time I had a brief but friendly chat with a prima who stole my seat while I was out smoking (I let her keep it - she'd been on her feet all evening).

Not 20 minutes ago I was refilling a prescription at my favorite pharmacy, and young up-and-comer Chase Finlay was cruising the aisles.

I've spotted several dancers in the "Breadsoul" (what a yukky name) sandwich place on Broadway, and in Fairway both downstairs (Damian and Heather) and upstairs (Philip Neal). Sigh, those days are gone.

One of the my favorite sightings of several months ago was Ashley Bouder waiting on line at the pharmacy - I was sitting on the side and waiting too - and her hair was in a ponytail, she looked totally like a normal girl no one you'd notice particularly - but with her feet she was doing little tendus! This was before she got her cute new hairdo. I'm such a fan!

Oh, forgot to add that I saw Ashley Bouder at the Duane Reade at 63rd and Broadway - Duane Reade of the ballet stars! I also met the wonderful Garielle Whittle at the checkout counter at that Duane Reade last winter and spoke to her about her wonderful work with the children. (She is children's ballet mistress of NYCB as you all know.) She is lovely and gracious.

Ashley Bouder again! I was walking through Lincoln Center Plaza, and she nimbly passed me going the other way - her hair is even shorter! I look forward to seeing her dance Tuesday in Grazioso when City Ballet opens. I think Carey Mulligan is definitely influencing hairstyles among 20-somethings!

Mulligan is a young, British actress who became well known through Brit lit movies -- Kitty Bennett in the Keira Knightly "Pride and Prejudice", Ada Clare in "Bleak House" -- and was recently in "An Education", "Public Enemies", and the new "Wall Street" movie. She's going to play Liza Doolittle in Emma Thompson's remake of "My Fair Lady" and has been one the of names floated around to play Salander in the upcoming remake of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1659547/

Carey Mullligan stars in Never Let me Go, opening next week in New York, based on the Kazuo Ishiguro novel. Her gamin haircut seems to have inspired Ashley Bouder. Cary also appears on the cover of October Vogue wearing French couture, a juxtaposition of her accessible friendly personality with the austere remoteness of the extraordinarily elaborate gowns.

I had the pleasure of getting tickets to Philip Neals last performance in June and saw Ashley Bouder in the street many hours before the performance, beautifully dressed in what looked like an Anthropologie dress and sky-high patent red platform wedges. With that haircut, she just looked so fashionable and I was amused to see her on stage saying goodbye to Philip several hours later in the same outfit! I almost ran into Tiler Peck walking her dog and shortly after that I saw Tess Reichlen walking across the street to the theatre-- so tall and incredibly beautiful! My final "star sighting" came when I was dining outside with friends from the ballet and along came Peter Martins who was dining with Darci and Talicia; since he knew one of our friends he actually stopped, graciously introduced himself to us and spoke with her. This was two weeks before Darci's last performance. Needless to say, this was one of my best trips to NYC!