This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

New 2010-2011 BrochurePhotos of Dancers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Are the photos from the brochure the same ones featured in the full-page advertisement that appeared on p. 9 of the Sunday New York Times Arts section?

If so, then the casual clothing didn't bother me. As a whole, the dancers' glamor largely overrides the casual atmosphere. (Robert Fairchild looks like he could have stepped out of a Hurrell portrait from the 20s or 30s.)

To the extent I had a gripe, it was with the varying quality of the poses. We see Tyler Angle photographed in a sultry pose with a come hither expression on his face. But then we see his poor brother just standing there in a statically composed and photographed picture. So, a mixed bag in terms of the poses.

#17 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

from Kathleen O'Connell:

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether the way the dancers are dressed in the 2010-11 brochure is disrespectful to ballet

Very good, agreed, and for the record, I was totally anti-tutu for years. Only loved the leotard ballets, but in my case it was a TV (and live) version of, what else, the Stravinsky Violin Concerto.

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

To the extent I had a gripe, it was with the varying quality of the poses. We see Tyler Angle photographed in a sultry pose with a come hither expression on his face. But then we see his poor brother just standing there in a statically composed and photographed picture. So, a mixed bag in terms of the poses.

I agree with this comment. Many of the poses are too static. This also became readily apparent to me last night when I saw new photo exhibit of the principal dancers at the Koch Theater. (There are now principal dancer photos, taken by the same photographer who did the photos for the print ad campaign, displayed on the Promenade Level.) Many of the photos either had the dancer with arms crossed, or with hands on hips. They needed to come up with more interesting, less repetitive, static poses. That's the primary weakness of the photos, in my opinion.

#19 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

very similar to the types of photos Ailey has been using for a number of years. (The Ailey photos are more sexually suggestive than the NYCB photos.)

The choreography the Ailey performs is more sexually suggestive than that of NYCB.

I don't dislike the current brochure, but it doesn't give a sense of what the co. is all about. If it motivates someone to see a performance for the first time what will they think when the curtain goes up on say Concerto Barocco, or Serenade, rather than sexy chicks and hot hunks in bike shorts? Well who knows, maybe for some it will be a revelation, and they will become fans, but I think most will be disappointed.

#20 rnl

rnl

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

I have that 1980 souvenir book, also! I loved it. I like the current photos, too.
But I have to admit that I got on the Shuttle a few days ago, and the train car was plastered with the faces of all the principal dancers, and I thought, they are trying to make them all celebrities. It was too much. I want the dancers to remain dancers, not actors. I think some of them might say the same. Too much focus on image, and not substance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):