This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Dutch National Ballet's Don Quixote

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Maybe it's just the fact that it's a film instead of a real life performance. I didn't really 'feel' the love in any of the Don Q films I saw, and when I saw it live the sparkle was just so clear and cute. It might be just me :wink:
(btw the pair I saw live was Lezhnina/Shesterikov. In that performance Sasha Mukhamedov was the street dancer and I also absolutely loved her there! I didn't even recognise her in the different costume)

#17 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:51 AM

Dear all,
some Don Quichot DVD & Blu-Ray release dates:

UK: March, 28
US: April, 26
Germany: April 11
Japan: Beginning of May
Benelux: Beginning of April

We hope the ballet will also be available for download in the US and Canada on April 26th.

More updates to follow when we have more info!

The DVD label is Arthaus Musik.

#18 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

PS As a bonus on the DVD and Blu-Ray we have a "dancer-cam" film - soloist Mathieu Gremillet wears a body-cam to take the viewers on stage with him during Act One. Hope viewers will enjoy this dancer's-eye view!

#19 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:28 AM

I thought I would never buy another Don Q dvd (I have 6 complete versions)---but on the strength of DNB's beautiful Giselle I will purchase one more when it is available :clapping:

#20 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

On behalf of DNB - thank you atm711!

#21 AuntPat

AuntPat

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

I was just delighted to find that the Dutch National’s Don Quixote (Don Quichot) is available as a preorder on Presto Classical’s website. Scheduled release in Blu-ray is March 28th. This is an Arthaus Musik label, all regions. $42.25 + $3.30 airmail, 5 to 7 days. 122 mins. + 30 mins. (bonus). I believe the US release is one month later; I can’t find it on Amazon yet. www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Arthaus%2BMusik/101562

Also the new Blu-ray Cinderella by the Birmingham Royal Ballet is offered preorder on Amazon to be released April 26th. On Amazon US search “preorder Cinderella Blu-ray” It was hard to find. The price is $28.99.

#22 TenduTV

TenduTV

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

Dear all,
some Don Quichot DVD & Blu-Ray release dates:

We hope the ballet will also be available for download in the US and Canada on April 26th.

I'm happy to confirm that TenduTV will be handling the digital downloads for Don Q. We'll have release dates in the US, Canada and UK shortly, although we are targeting day and date release in collaboration with Arthaus's DVD/BD releases in US and Canada.

#23 TenduTV

TenduTV

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:40 AM

A new trailer is now up on our Facebook page:

Don Q (Trailer)

Also, Pacific Northwest Ballet is going to be performing the same production next year.

Seattle Times

#24 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

Don Q (Trailer)

I can't find this on the Amazon site. Do we know if it will be released in the US in the format that works here? (Amazon typically has a pre-sale ordering option if they know they will be stocking it later.)

#25 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

California,

The DVD / Blu-Ray release date for the US is April 26th... and it's region free so it will work in the US!

It is on Amazon - but you need to search for Don Quichot (not Quixote) - here's a link:
Don Quichot Blu-Ray on Amazon.com

Don Q (Trailer)

I can't find this on the Amazon site. Do we know if it will be released in the US in the format that works here? (Amazon typically has a pre-sale ordering option if they know they will be stocking it later.)

#26 TenduTV

TenduTV

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

Don Q (Trailer)

The presale option is not up yet, at least as far as the digital release goes. It's going through ingestion now, so I don't think Amazon has gotten the data for it yet.

#27 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

I received my copy from amazon.uk yesterday and watched all of it last night.

I hate to dampen all of the pre-release excitement here but I was very disappointed with this Don Q for the same reason that I did not care for the Dutch company's DVD of 'Sleeping Beauty' a few years ago: the company, as a whole, lacks the classicism and uniform 'Russian aristocratic look' that makes Mariinsky and Bolshoi versions the 'gold standard' of any Petipa-era work, IMO. Even when dancing 'peasants,' the Mariinsky corps has a certain aristocratic air and way of projecting that simply isn't in view here. [But even some non-Russian troupes, such as ABT, POB, K-Ballet of Tokyo, Cuban and the Royal, achieve greater quality and uniformity of movement than the raggedy Dutch.]

The featured soloists ranged from OK to annoying. Tsygankova as Kitri is OK but not great (even if she happens to be Russian-born & trained in Novosibirsk...but I doubt that she'd be a principal in her old troupe, the Bolshoi, had she stayed there [size="1"]before moving on to Hungary, then Austria, then Holland[/size], with her untraditional proportions of large head, wide torso, etc.). I had a real problem with the "all-American look" of Golding's bland Basilio, despite his fine technique, for such a statuesque-looking man. The hyper-cutesiness of Maya Makhateli's Amour gave me a headache. I found the heightened focus on the two actors (Mini & Max) portraying Don Q & Sansho Pancha a distraction (perhaps to take the focus off the mediocre dancing?)...and we have to sit through about 14 minutes of their antics before the dancing in the square begins. Boo!

The sets and costumes -- especially for the classical 'Dream Scene' -- ranged from 'plain' to 'plain ugly.' (e.g., Was it a green swamp? Why the cutesy "moving cacti" surrounding Don Q as he begins to dream? What was up with the Egyptian-lapis-blue touches in the Act I costumes?) I sure hope that this production isn't headed for ABT, given the 'Ratmansky Pipeline.' [I've now seen enough of Ratmansky that I would bet that the 19th-C 'perfume' and delightful Petipa-like variations in the Bolshoi [i]Corsaire [/i]probably are due more to Yuri Burlaka and not Ratmansky. Ratmansky himself doesn't seem to care for the 'romantic perfume' of 19th century classics.]

Halfway through the DVD, I could only think "BO-RING!" And it's really, really hard to make a Don Q boring.

After seeing this version of Don Q, I found myself reaching for my commercial videos by the Kirov/Mariinsky (Terekhova or Novikova), Bolshoi (Maximova or Ananiashvili), Cuban Ballet (Valdes) and the masterpiece that was ABT's Baryshnikov version (MB + Cynthia Harvey) to cleanse my mind and soul after the unfortunate DNB experience.

p.s. - The 'extra' of the corps guy (Matador) with the bodycam gave me a headache, unless he was stationary or moving straight ahead. What an idiotic idea.

p.s.s. - Not to totally knock the DNB, I've seen and loved the company in recent Hans Van Manen/modern DVDs. Stylistic differences and 'real people looks' (body types like we would see on 'real people' in the street) are not detriments to performing modern works.

#28 traviata

traviata

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:52 AM

Dear friends,

(long time ago I haven't written here!)

My feelings about this DVD are quite the same than Natalia's ones. Anna Tsygankova is a beautiful ballerina but we expect more energy as Kitri. Actually, her first entrance is spoiled because she enters too early. This is a beautiful staging but... so boring. There are so many DQs available on DVD that this new one doesn't seem necessary.

Here is my opinion (in french!) more detailed:
http://classiqueinfo...n-chic-bon.html

#29 Lily

Lily

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

I'd like to add my very different opinion to the last two reviewers. I recently bought the Blu-Ray of the Dutch National Ballet's Don Q and I love it.

I've got every Don Q DVD in existence and have been lucky enough to see many wonderful dancers and companies perform the ballet live (including ABT, the Kirov and the Royal) and Ratmansky's production for the Dutch ballet is far and away the best I've seen. I thought the decor and costumes were stunning (and the colours look so vibrant on Blu-Ray).

The cast is wonderful. Tsygankova and Golding as Kitri and Basilio have real chemistry together. While they may not equal a pairing such as Osipova and Vasiliev for technical trickery (I saw this pair at the live cinema screening recently), they more than make up for it in charisma and charm IMHO - and they're great dancers too. Both have wonderful elevation and stunning turns. Most importantly to me, I totally believed in them as a couple.

I enjoyed the other performances too... the handsome Moises Martin Cintas and Natalia Hoffman as Mercedes and Espada... the incredibly long-legged Sasha Mukhamedov as Queen of the Dryads... Dario Maelli as Gamache was a scene-stealer... and I really enjoyed the use of actors as Don Q and Sancho Panza. Usually these roles are pantomime and rather a waste of time IMHO. I'm always so disappointed in this - the ballet is called Don Quichot, after all, not Kitri, and the story hangs on Don Q's adventures.... here, for once, are a Don Q and Sancho Panza who tell the story and lead us through the ballet with humour and great physical presence.

I've seen many, many companies both live and on DVD and I think the Dutch National Ballet deserves its status as one of the best and most interesting companies in Europe. Sorry to disagree with the reviewer above but I find Ratmansky's artistic vision to be pure class. This is the third ballet / production I've seen by him and I've been impressed and moved each time.

And I liked the dancer-cam! It's very unusual - I loved 'going on stage' with a dancer. Yes, it's a little wild and hectic in parts but so much fun to see how the dancers interact with each other on stage and to get a dancer's view of proceedings.

I enjoyed this Don Q very much and apart from my almost worn-out VHS of Baryshnikov and Harvey, it makes the others in my collection look very old-fashioned and boring!

#30 EvilNinjaX

EvilNinjaX

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

The amazon.co.uk review of it calls it a "disaster". There are two reviews and one is in german and Babel Fish seems to indicate that she was mostly concerned that the Bluray has some terrible mastering issues. Can anyone speak to that?

thx
-goro-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):