This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Henry Danton

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 koshka_jete

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 07:04 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or even better seen Henry Danton dance? Presently he is my teacher, but he was once a prominent dancer. He danced with Sadler Wells Ballet, Roland Petit's Ballet de Paris, and Australian National Ballet. He was also artistic director of Ballet Nacional de Venesuela. Lately I have been trying to research his past, but have not been very successful. He is a very modest man and shares some stories with his students--but I was hoping some ballet buffs out there could give me a glimpse into the past of a teacher I dearly treasure. Thanks to all.

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 07:34 PM

I'm sure you will have a few responses. In 1946, Danton was in the original cast of Ashton's masterwork Symphonic Variations, and that earned him his place in the history books.

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 13 May 2001 - 03:02 PM

Sing to the opening bars of "Symphonic Variations":

Margot FONteyn, Moira SHEARer, Michael SOMES, Brian SHAW, Henry DANton...and PAMela May.

[ 05-13-2001: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]

#4 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 11:39 AM

From Peter Noble's book British Ballet (1948):

Henry Danton: born Bedford (England)..made his debut with the Allied Ballet in 1942 in Les Sylphides...from 1943-4 he danced with the International Ballet, partnering Mona Inglesby in Les Sylphides, Lac de Cygnes...he joined Sadler's Wells Ballet in 1944...and Metropolitan Ballet in 1947

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):