Henry Danton

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 koshka_jete

koshka_jete

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 07:04 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or even better seen Henry Danton dance? Presently he is my teacher, but he was once a prominent dancer. He danced with Sadler Wells Ballet, Roland Petit's Ballet de Paris, and Australian National Ballet. He was also artistic director of Ballet Nacional de Venesuela. Lately I have been trying to research his past, but have not been very successful. He is a very modest man and shares some stories with his students--but I was hoping some ballet buffs out there could give me a glimpse into the past of a teacher I dearly treasure. Thanks to all.

Katya

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 07:34 PM

I'm sure you will have a few responses. In 1946, Danton was in the original cast of Ashton's masterwork Symphonic Variations, and that earned him his place in the history books.

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 13 May 2001 - 03:02 PM

Sing to the opening bars of "Symphonic Variations":

Margot FONteyn, Moira SHEARer, Michael SOMES, Brian SHAW, Henry DANton...and PAMela May.

[ 05-13-2001: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]

#4 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 11:39 AM

From Peter Noble's book British Ballet (1948):

Henry Danton: born Bedford (England)..made his debut with the Allied Ballet in 1942 in Les Sylphides...from 1943-4 he danced with the International Ballet, partnering Mona Inglesby in Les Sylphides, Lac de Cygnes...he joined Sadler's Wells Ballet in 1944...and Metropolitan Ballet in 1947

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):